Hafler XL-280 Upgrade

IanInVan

Hi all ...

I just picked up an XL-280 (145 wpc) and a DH-110 pre. This is 25-year old gear and while I want to get the most out of it, the idea of 'modding' doesn't philosophically sit well with me. I do have an open mind to maintenance though. While I know little about 're-capping', I'm led to believe this might be a good idea. Any thoughts around maintenance upgrades that will stay true to Hafler's original design would be warmly welcomed.

PS - DM-303's and Kef 30B are the noise-makers.

Thanks everyone!

Ian

Last edited:
Aged carbon resistors drift in values over the years Likely more than a few are no longer close to the circuit design. This can have significant effect on sounds.
Check ..All.. of them and replace suspect ones. Caps can wait for a later replacement unless measurement shows a problem or they are visibly swelling/leaking.

Thanks, Bare. I've heard lots about caps but little about resistors. Do I measure individual resistors or circuits.

Thanks, Ian

You have very nice but very old electronics. Some of the original parts that Hafler u sed were not the best (to keep costs down). Well thought out mods and upgrades are needed.

Call John at Musical Concepts at tell him what you have and were you want to go with it. He has upgrade kits or you can send the units to him for work. What you get back will be many times better than what you have now. You will have to spend as lot more dollars to beat his upgrades.

My amp was an original 30 year old tired Hafler ... not anymore.

My DH 101 was tired too. Now it's an amazing sounding tube preamp with an external power supply.

You are sitting on great potential.

Cheers, Bob

Back
Top Bottom