A-B-C box for 70's receivers

zombie1210

What would I need to get to set up 3 or 4 receivers so they could be all hooked up to the same pair of speakers, and switched between receivers for an audio comparison?

Some sort of box?

How would I connect that box to my speakers? RCA connectors on the receiver end of my speaker wire? Or RCA cables from the OUTS on the receivers?

I know, dumb question.

Last edited:
Both of the selectors already mentioned are for selecting multiple speakers from one amp. When you get into multiple amp and speaker selectors it becomes a little more pricy. I just sold a Sima multiple amp and speaker selector. Was a heavy unit and retailed out at around 250.00 when new.
To answer your question regarding connecting a unit such as this you would run left and right speaker wire from the amp to the input on the switching unit. Then your speakers connect to speaker outputs on the switching unit.

How would I connect that box to my speakers? RCA connectors on the receiver end of my speaker wire? Or RCA cables from the OUTS on the receivers?

I know, dumb question.

Not dumb at all. That post was incorrect, the Amazon piece pictured will not work for what you want to do; you need speaker connectors, not RCAs.

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Am I wrong to assume the one from Amazon could be hooked up to 4 receivers and out to one set of speakers? Seems like a switch is a switch. Its just passing along the signal. If I use the right cables? I just would need regular RCA cables to hook up my receivers, and one RCA cable with bare wires on one end to attach to my speakers? Or ALL RCA cables with bare wires on one end, and attach to the speaker terminals on my receivers?

Last edited:
With the correct connectors a switch is a switch as long as you only activate one receiver at a time.

Some speaker selector devices allow you to select more than one speaker at a time and that would mean that you could conceivably have more than one receiver selected at a time. And contrary to what one might believe, this can lead to receiver or amplifier damage even if the unused receivers or amplifiers are not turned on.

Some receivers and or amplifiers to not use a common ground for left and right channels and some speaker selectors may. This combination could cause damage to the amplifier or receiver.

Will these things happen in every instance, probably not. Just some food for thought.

This is the best thing I have found for the purpose. I have one in my listening room and it makes it very easy to swap between 4 amps or receivers with up to 5.1 channels. I found mine on eBay but had to make my own cables.

Tom

I'm in the same boat and trying to finish up my home recording system.. got a thread on DIY.

I'm going with this. http://www.amphony.com/index.htm (no affilliation)
these put out 80 watts class d.

Back to the OP.. I'm looking for switching the inputs with a remote. i.e. I may have an LP being recorded to my pc? then hit the remote button and I'm listening to fm again or cd etc.

appreciate any ideas.

bink

Back
Top Bottom