Rescued 400-Can it be saved?

ths71

This was on it's way to the dumpster. Chassis looks rough but I think everything is there. Doesn't look too bad underneath. I didn't notice anything alarming. This is my first Fisher and a bit rougher than I'm used to dealing with. Worth the effort?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

oh, be still my dumpster diving heart.

I have an 800-c, I will say that you definitely want to save it.
Have you tested any of the tubes yet?

Hey, Fisher is a pretty good brand. This Model 400 looks like it can do you some good once you get it back up and runing again. Bottom line is, I think you should get it back to its original state. Trust me, you'll like result of it at the end! These things sound absolutely clear and they should output a great deal of power. Oh, and did I mention that they look very beautiful when finished?

Dude, this is a no brainer!!!! :thmbsp: Real clean inside AND unmolested!

There has been a very serious 400 restore theread going on here for a few months. It'll get you half way to heaven! :thmbsp:

Most definitely save that one! Just because a few cosmetic problems have set in doesn't make it a loser. Give it a chance, get it fixed up or DIY, and you will be very pleased with the result.

Have not had the tubes checked yet. Remove them and tagged them and did some light cleaning with good results. Faceplate came out very nice with all the lettering intact. Dial glass is good too. Kind of excited now.

Have not had the tubes checked yet. Remove them and tagged them and did some light cleaning with good results. Faceplate came out very nice with all the lettering intact. Dial glass is good too. Kind of excited now.

You should be excited! Be sure to ask plenty of questions if you need and read, read and read and post lots of pics of it underway.

Congrats again on a great receiver

Looks like it needs cleaning and some knob brights but is otherwise in excellent cosmetic condition. Nothing looks like it caught fire and all the tubes are there. Absolutely an excellent resto candidate.

All I can say is I am glad you saved another one from being destroyed. I think you will be very surprised at how nice they sound.

Definate FIXER UPPER! What's the serial number and the output transformer #'s. Dave Gillespie is looking for an early version to have the outputs tested. The output transformers will tell the tale.

Larry

You are probably the first person to ever open it up. Definitely fix it up or have it done.

Very nice 400!
When you pop off that bottom cover and see how nice and clean it is in there it's a very good feeling! I would keep it and fix it up for sure!

Well, it looks like this one is going to live. Cleaned it up and powered up with a dim bulb tester. It works! Sounds nice too. A few issues but they appear to be minor.

picture.php

picture.php

Back
Top Bottom