MX-1000 Please help solve one channel issues

Here's how they look

Plz don't be laughing at the dusty assembly. That amp still needs to go take a bath..

Attachments

• 2015-03-18 17.32.41.jpg
    2015-03-18 17.32.41.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 2015-03-18 17.44.25.jpg
    2015-03-18 17.44.25.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 26
Mundorf does custom fabricated capacitors on request, in some cases minimum quantities are 20 units. I'm surprised that people still haven't got together for a group buy. Mundorf also currently makes a 44,000uF 63V cap ( 22,000uF x 2 in one can) 35x75mm in their AG 4-pole format. That might be an option if you can make a few mm of vertical room. The larger 47,000uF value can be accomplished with the addition of a 3,000uF 63V in parallel.

That would work well, and also fit and look decent. It will look different than from the factory, but there is nothing wrong with that. Especially if there are no other options and the dozens of people with amps that used this capacitor size are not open to group buys. In any case I'll keep looking around for a newer equivalent.

Last edited:
I am not sure what Mundorf would charge for a small batch of custom caps, but the idea of having a group buy has been discussed as an option. I am wondering what something like this would cost. When I will have some time I will call Mundorf and report with the response. The concern of some AK'ers, and mine for that matter, was that it will be prohibitively expensive, even as a group buy.

As far as the other options, the dual cap cans would require mods to the circuit board since they are too tall for any use of a daughter board.

I am still curious to find out Avionic's solution. He stated in one of the posts that he is working on a solution but has not yet revealed additional details.

As far as using banks of 10,000uf caps, you stated that there may be an issue with the rush in current. Now that you have looked at schematic and the design of the psu, do you believe that is still the case. Wouldn't the esr of the multiple caps be beneficial?

The reason I still mention this idea is that a bunch of 10,000uf will physically fit on a daughter board and no modifications to the main board would be necessary. Let's say that some manufacturer decides to start making the original cap sizes in a few years, or the group buy idea turns out to be financially feasible, there is no real problem yanking the daughter board out later on, and replace it with the original size cans.

If we need to join resources for a minimum order for these caps I'm in. I have 2 MX1000's and am always worried about these caps so I'm in the same boat as you guys. All caps have been replaced but the big 4.

Back
Top Bottom