RX-500U Problem

DaveCro

Hello everyone!

This is my first post to AK. I've been having a problem with my receiver for years and decided that it's time to consult the oracle. I have a Yamaha Rx-500U that I bought new, and for quite a while the tuner cuts in and out. It will be playing fine, then it just goes to static with no display on the front panel. It used to be I could give it a smack and it would play again, and it seems to be more common in the more humid months. I don't often listen to the radio, so it never bothered me that much, but then again- before the Internet with tremendous resources such as AK, you either got a new unit or took it to be repaired.

Has anyone ever experienced this type of problem and if so what did you do to repair it. It seems like there is a poor connection (if the tuner is a separate pcb,) or a cold solder joint, or a crack- or the list is endless.

Thanks, any suggestions would be welcome.
Dave

Welcome Aboard..

Sounds like a cracked or cold soldered connection. While its powered up, try slightly flexing the tuner board and the power supply or wiggling the components on those two PC board areas,to get it to act up or work as it should. Get a bright light and a magnifier and closely examine the soldered connections on the tuner and power supply board(s), for iffy looking connections.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, avionic- I'll see what I can find out.

Dave
Dave,

Hate to dredge up an old thread, but I just got my old rx-500 back from a long term loan because of the same issue. Did you ever get yours resolved?

Thanks,
Mike

Back
Top Bottom