Using all fisher branded tubes worth it? Or just Neurotic.

c-atle-79bay

So I've had a line on an 800c with no case and 4 functional, but not tested, fisher branded output tubes and all fisher branded 12ax7's, for not much more than the price I see on that sight for 4 matched 7591a tubes. I will not have the ability to test the tubes so that is a variable, but know more or less what to look for.

So for the next time I see this,

But my question comes down to, is it that much of a difference? I've got the JJ's in my restored 500c and it sounds great, but for some, neurotic reason, would like to make it my gem so to speak by rounding out all the tubes to fisher branded.

I'd most likely shelf the 800c to a future date as I have no time for a project, pretty much need to plug and play right now. And I'm getting rid of my Jolida and committing to the Fisher world.

Thanks

Last edited:
All Fisher tubes won't hurt, but aren't necessary.
If you do some searching in this forum, you'l find a number of tube rolling for performance threads that discuss what tubes from different vendors sound like in specific positions of Fishers.
Your mileage may vary.

Fisher branded 12AX7s can be Mullard, Amperex, Telefunken and likely other manufactures. Fisher outsourced all tubes.

At the very least, those tubes will sound really really good. This one or that one may not be your favorite choice for it's position, but, chances are that the small tubes will test well and you may find them a revelation compared to your JJ's. Output's are a bit more of a crapshoot, but, many do come across receivers with strong vintage output tubes as well. As others have said, the AX7's could be from various sources, but they all are the good stuff from the old days. Certainly would be cool to have a complete "Fisher" tube set on board.

My view is that you're being "neurotic." It's functionally unnecessary as you can pop a host of other tubes into the various positions and get the same, better or worse performance. On the other hand, if you're going for the "showpiece," nothing looks more impressive than a full set of "Fisher" tubes. It is WAY cool:thmbsp:

The only thing that would be more impressive is the top shelf 12ax7's running into the many hundreds of bucks for a set. But those would be impressive only to those folks who can readily recognize the tubes as such. Your every day drinking buddy will be much more impressed with "Fisher" plastered all over your tubes than whether you have a pair o 10M's in the amp positions.

If you can get a full set of Fisher tubes GREAT. The challenge will be getting a full set where ALL the tubes are up to the job.

I can see using Fisher branded tubes in a full blown trailer queen resto, but not so much in something you're going to use.

Personally I would go for tubes that you like the sound over the branding of names. Plus once the cover is on, you can't even see the tubes on Fisher's.

Seems to me your real question is vintage vs. new production for the output tubes, no?
I have a 500C with JJ's, and an 800C with vintage 7591's. I prefer the old ones.

FISHER branded tubes from other sources. You have basically 4 choices.

1.) Historically Accurate. Populate with ALL FISHER Branded tubes. Not necessarily the best sounding to all. Depending on the year it was built the small tubes could be Tele's, Mullard, Brimar,(early), or Sylvania, RCA, Mullard, Brimar, amperex, etc. OUTPUTS were usually Westinghouse 7591's Branded FISHER.

2.) OLD STOCK. Get your choice of Old Stock tubes and populate it. Roll tubes until you get the best sound per your ears.

3.) NEW STOCK Get your choice of New Stock tubes and populate it. Roll tubes unitl you get the best sound per your ears.

4.) Mix OLD STOCK, NEW STOCK, and FISHER BRANDED TUBES.

I prefer EH 7591's for NEW STOCK, and Westinghouse for old Stock. As long as the EIA code is 337 on the side of the tube, it's a WESTINGHOUSE. The EH bottle is quite large but will fit in the 500C but it must be removed before taking off the case, and installed AFTER the case is installed.

If you plan on selling it down the road, you WILL get more $$ for it with all FISHER branded tubes, but not much more than with good quality tubes. Collectors will go for it more readily with all FISHER tubes.

If you don't plan on selling it, put whatever you want in it.

Larry

This is true for most vintage pieces. Almost none of the manufacturers made tubes, so most anything that wasn't made by one of the tube companies is going to be re-brands. heck, even the tube makers re-branded stuff at times.

Collector value aside, keep in mind - simply because a given tube is NOS is no guarantee the amp will make maunfacturer's spec for output & distortion.

Shortly before Sylvania ceased its tube operation in 1976, McIntosh engineer Dave O'Brien said that out of box of 50 brand new Sylvania tubes, he could not find 4 7591s that worked properly in an MA 230. I'm sure it would've also been the case for the Westinghouse 7591, had Fisher also held test clinics.

Only advanced equipment can properly test for distortion.

Last edited:
My view is that you're being "neurotic." It's functionally unnecessary as you can pop a host of other tubes into the various positions and get the same, better or worse performance. On the other hand, if you're going for the "showpiece," nothing looks more impressive than a full set of "Fisher" tubes. It is WAY cool:thmbsp:

The only thing that would be more impressive is the top shelf 12ax7's running into the many hundreds of bucks for a set. But those would be impressive only to those folks who can readily recognize the tubes as such. Your every day drinking buddy will be much more impressed with "Fisher" plastered all over your tubes than whether you have a pair o 10M's in the amp positions.

If you can get a full set of Fisher tubes GREAT. The challenge will be getting a full set where ALL the tubes are up to the job.
It's funny that you mention neurotic, because I want a full set of "Fisher" tubes in my 400. Granted, I'll pay up the wazoo for them no doubt, but my reply to that is that I'd like it to be as original as possible if possible. Anybody can throw a bunch of JJ's in there, and it may even sound pretty good....but I have neurotic tendencies, or is it OCD?....ha ha(Maybe a couple of Valiums to go with the Fisher tubes to calm me down!!):yes::D

John(nodding from the Valiums)

It's funny that you mention neurotic, because I want a full set of "Fisher" tubes in my 400. Granted, I'll pay up the wazoo for them no doubt, but my reply to that is that I'd like it to be as original as possible if possible. Anybody can throw a bunch of JJ's in there, and it may even sound pretty good....but I have neurotic tendencies, or is it OCD?....ha ha(Maybe a couple of Valiums to go with the Fisher tubes to calm me down!!):yes::D

John(nodding from the Valiums)

I hear valium and a good strong set of Fisher 7591's works wonders for stress :thmbsp:

Clearly "neurotic" unless you are going for show rather than go... as already pointed out, Fisher never made their own tubes, like most gear manufacturers, they are rebranded tubes from other major tube producers.

But then again, I am neurotic about building entire vintage systems with matching components from the same manufacturer... just for "the look"... so I can't judge...

Last edited:
So get a complete set of "SHOW TUBES" and a set (with spares) of "GO TUBES". The you'll have bragging rights, AND a rig that'll sound good with the tubes YOU PICKED rather than the House brand tubes. Mark them so they go in the right sockets on the one rig you want them in.(if you have multiple rigs)

I've got a set of small FISHER tubes(RF and AUDIO) I collected from all the consoles I have, and made up a set for my 800-C or Executive with enough left over for one of the hybrid consoles. They are strictly for show as most of them test near the lower end of good on my tester, and the gm readings are almost to minimums. No FISHER Branded output's save 1 7189. All the outputs are either ITT or Valvo(6HU8's), RCA/GE/Russian (6BQ5 and 7189) and EH's (7591's) I have a quad of Westinghouse 7591's that are branded Eico/Curtis Mathes/Eico but they are so weak I only use them for testing(initial power up for shorts)

You CAN have your cake and eat it too. But it will take time and $$$.

Larry

For me part of the fun in owning a 500C is tube rolling so Fisher labeled tubes are not a must although I do own Fisher branded Telefunkens and Mullards

I hear valium and a good strong set of Fisher 7591's works wonders for stress :thmbsp:
Ahhh, I'll have to get back with you on that...my stash of Fisher tubes is non existent at the moment....I hope to slowly put together a set of "good" tubes for the 400. It WILL take some patience.

John

Haha, fun topic I see. From most of the responses here I doubt I will ever work towards all fishers, if I get another chance like the one I had however I'll try not to let it pass(I had DD daddy duty) and cannot nor will not let my hobby get in the way of that so i'm fine with it. I agree that the cool factor is certainly there, but it already is with tubes anyway.

Back
Top Bottom