Finally got it back .... 500B.

the_nines

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Purchased rebuild kit from Jim McShane and gave it over to a friend to do the needful. He is the same friend who rebuilt my 500C. As usual a great job on the rebuild.

After bringing it home, I did some cleaning of the pots and switches, face-plate and cleaned and polished the knobs:

pic13-1.jpg

photo24.jpg

photo23.jpg

photo22.jpg

The 500B is now setup in the family room:

photo12-1.jpg

photo14_zpsf5586174.jpg

photo09-1.jpg

IMG_2103_zpsfd6bd077.jpg

IMG_2101_zps2ea18752.jpg

photo13_zps28730b6a.jpg

photo18.jpg

And here's my corner:

photo16-1.jpg

photo17-1.jpg

I want to add a special thank-you to "Audiodon" for him being just a really caring individual and a really nice guy. He noticed I was missing a knob-bright and sent me one, no strings attached.

IMG_2137edit_zps254f3152.jpg

You're the best Don, thanks a million. :thmbsp:

Well .... there's my 500B.

Thanks for viewing.

Cheers all.

Evange

Beautiful work! It must be very pleasing to look at and listen to your 500B now. I concur about Audiodon. I'm lucky enough to live very near Don. He has been my guide as I've jumped back into the world of tubes. Don is a talented, caring, and generous guy.

Beautiful work! It must be very pleasing to look at and listen to your 500B now. I concur about Audiodon. I'm lucky enough to live very near Don. He has been my guide as I've jumped back into the world of tubes. Don is a talented, caring, and generous guy.

It's a pleasure to look at and listen to the Fisher.

As far as Audiodon is concerned, ...... if there exists a more caring human-being I have yet to meet him/her.

It's a pleasure to look at and listen to the Fisher.

As far as Audiodon is concerned, ...... if there exists a more caring human-being I have yet to meet him/her.

Very nice looking reciever :music::music::music:

As far as AudioDon is concerned, I concur :thmbsp:

Awww . . . shucks (kicks a pile of tubes rolling around on the floor of his cluttered home) thanks!

Wow, that 500-B has met its promised beauty Evange!

If you squint your eyes, Audiodon even LOOKS a little like Mother Teresa did. :D OK, let's get back to talking about that cool looking Fisher...

Last edited:
Awww . . . shucks (kicks a pile of tubes rolling around on the floor of his cluttered home) thanks!

Wow, that 500-B has met its promised beauty Evange!

What a lovely 500-B and a beautiful setting! Well done, Don & Evange :thmbsp:

I take all the credit for, in this whole chain of events, having done the most minor thing!
It took a whole five minutes for my radar to auto-locate the issue and swoop in with a fix. :bat:

Actually, when there's a showcase piece, if I can help someone avoid the searches I've had to do that can often become quite time-consuming and expensive, I will.

I bet there are half a dozen knob bright styles for that one knob type. Just off the top of my head I've seen no line, dimpled triangle on bevel, dimpled dot not on bevel, short line indented, long line indented, long line not indented.

I keep a few oddballs around for just-in-case issues like this one, where a match is important. I bet I've spent hundreds of bucks on trying to assemble minor parts for showcase pieces such as this one.

I also saw an opportunity to help a stand-up AK'er who doesn't disparage Fisher, in fact embraces Fisher, though he has a Leben, so I took it. It seems to be the spirit appropriate to AK.

I have some questions about that fabulous 500-B.
Are those speakers Devores?
How efficient are they?
How synergistic are they with the Fisher 500-B?
How do they show off differences between the 500-B and your 500-C?

Sometimes little minor gestures are as important as the big ones, and at times even more important. The unit is now complete thanks to a simple gesture that entailed something no bigger than a dime.

I love Fisher. I love the sound they produce, sort of reminds me of my Leben, natural, warm, not in your face, can listen to them for hours and not get tired.

Don, yes, the speakers are DeVore 8's. I am "baby-sitting" them for a friend who is moving out of his present dwelling and building a home. I only recently started "baby-sitting" them but from what I've heard so far, they sound amazing on the 500B, I was quite surprised actually. In a way, this setup reminds me of a smaller version of my main system (A) in terms of synergy. However, I need to devote a weekend to do a thorough comparison using same source components and material (basically, I want the house all to myself). The DeVore 8's are rated at 88 dB. Could be one or two dB more efficient but I am really happy with what I hear.

To compare the 500B & 500C, at first impression I would give the 500C the nod. More robust and authoritative on the low and mid-end. Highs are sharp, tight and mellow at the same time.

The 500B although similar to the 500C has something in the mid-section the 500C lacks. More harmonics. Can't explain it.

Both units are the same but different. Hard to explain. Something you have to hear for yourself.

I'm really glad I have both.

As for the speakers, I am still baby-sitting and starting to love the babies more and more.

Can you say "adoption"? ...... sure, I knew you could.:D

Cheers!

Probably from this guy. He makes the best cabinets for Fisher, Mac, Marantz, etc.

http://mcintoshcabinets.com/pages/fisher.htm

Yes, that's the site.

One thing to point out, for the 500B and 500C, since the cabinet is made from thicker wood than the original, you cannot use tall tubes such as the EH7591 as there is not enough clearance for tube V11 and possibly V10.

You can make a small modification yourself on that back part of the cabinet like shaving off enough of the inner part to accomodate the height of the EH7591.

If the 800C shares the same frame attributes as the 500 and you are using a tube as tall as the EH7591, then you should point this out when ordering. Perhaps Matt at McIntosh Cabinets can do something there. Had I known this cabinet would have been thicker than the original and cause a slight inconvenience with EH7591's, I would have brought it to Matt's attention when I was placing the order.

But for now, I'm using the original 7591's that came with the Fisher so I have no problem at all.

The JJ-7591S tube fits (just barely, but it does)..... but I've learned my lesson with regards to this particular model JJ. Enough said.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom