audio-technica AT-OC9/III

We did

I've read that the gold isn't really plated on the cantilever. It's vapor deposited for a super thin coating.

The link above to the ART7 says it has air core coils like a DLS1, hence the ultra low output.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the PTGII.

http://www.joynetmall.com/shop/prod...=4124&osCsid=e7b7fc392da41347246184a7dbd03daf

neo

I owned 2...AWESOME cart...except both had suspension failures..Which is how I wound up with the OC9/III which AT gave me...

Audio-technica AT-OC9/III on order

it will be replacing my tired out OC9ML/II.
Will report when cart is delivered then again back after breakin.

it will be replacing my tired out OC9ML/II.
Will report when cart is delivered then again back after breakin.

Hi I have not seen you post in sometime. I like new avator pic of the SS.:thmbsp: Last time I was over did you have the OC9M/II playing? I have been looking at a AT-OC9/II or a Denon DL-301 Mk III and see if the MC sounds better then my Pickering MM. I can get a OC9/II for a little more then the hard to find NOS Pickering stylus I use.http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATC01.html

Somehow I think I should have went for the AT-OC9 MKIII instead of the MKII I purchased for $100.00 less. Perhaps even the AT33PTGII, but I hear they have their own set of suspension problems.

Hi I have not seen you post in sometime. I like new avator pic of the SS.:thmbsp: Last time I was over did you have the OC9M/II playing? I have been looking at a AT-OC9/II or a Denon DL-301 Mk III and see if the MC sounds better then my Pickering MM. I can get a OC9/II for a little more then the hard to find NOS Pickering stylus I use.http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATC01.html

I do want to keep the AT-OC9ML/II until the AT-OC9/III breaks in...I estimate about 50 records because then I want to do some comparisons but it really wont be a fair comparison since the MLII it about totally worn out. It's been played hard for over 6 years now and I am pretty sure it has well over a 1000 hours on it and its beginning to sound raspy.
But yeah I can let you borrow it for a while.
At the moment as the AT-OC9ML/II is being phased out LP gear is selling the MLII for an insanely low price "While supplies last"
http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATC01.html

Last edited:
I do want to keep the AT-OC9ML/II until the AT-OC9/III breaks in...I estimate about 50 records because then I want to do some comparisons but it really wont be a fair comparison since the MLII it about totally worn out I am pretty sure it has well over a 1000 hours on it its beginning to sound raspy.
But yeah I can let you borrow it for a while.
At the moment as the AT-OC9ML/II is being phased out LP gear is selling the MLII for an insanely low price "While supplies last"
http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATC01.html

I read there is a shop (phonocartridgeretipping.com....ANDY) that retips these MC carts:scratch2: would it be less expensive to retip or go for a new on while supply lasts?

Last edited:
I read there is a shop (phonocartridgeretipping.com....ANDY) that retips these MC carts:scratch2: would it be less expensive to retip or go for a new on while supply lasts?

Maybe:scratch2:
Depends on what he charges the MLII has a microline stylus.
May want to contact them and see what just a retip costs the cantilever is still good but the suspension may be questionable since is is now 6 years old.

I wanted to go with the III because it loads at 100 ohm because my phono stage is a fixed 100 ohm thought it would be a better match than the 20 ohm loading the MLII requires

Last edited:
Maybe:scratch2:
Depends on what he charges the MLII has a microline stylus.
May want to contact them and see what just a retip costs the cantilever is still good but the suspension may be questionable since is is now 6 years old.

I wanted to go with the III because it loads at 100 ohm because my phono stage is a fixed 100 ohm thought it would be a better match than the 20 ohm loading the MLII requires

My fixed MC phono stage is 0.3 mV/100 Ohmns ....the OC9/II is 0.4 mV/ 20 ohmns or higher:scratch2:

My fixed MC phono stage is 0.3 mV/100 Ohmns ....the OC9/II is 0.4 mV/ 20 ohmns or higher:scratch2:
thats about what my stage is too although the mlII is 20 or higher it sounded fine at 100 and yes the MLII is the cart you heard the last time you were over.

Clarification

They are BOTH 100 ohms or higher with a phono stage or head amp

20ohms with a SUT (Step up transformer like the AT630)

I have been impressed with the OC9ML/II since I got it for $294, it is not past 30 hours yet.
I also do run it at 100 Ohms with an active phono pre. Quite nice!

The Denon DL301/II is nice too but not as detailed as the OC9ML/II.

At Comet Supply prices of $212 delivered for the Denon 301, it is also a steal, but you have to contend with the wait.

AT-OC9/III came in today

:banana:
I know its too soon to say since I have only played 2 records but if it sounds better than it does now after breakin then I am in for a real treat because out of the box this cartridge sounds beautiful. :music:

:banana:
I know its too soon to say since I have only played 2 records but if it sounds better than it does now after breakin then I am in for a real treat because out of the box this cartridge sounds beautiful. :music:

Cool :music: I have a few NM Lp's I did not have last time I listened to your system.

Pics

7-13-13-2_zps742915df.jpg

picture.php

Nice :thmbsp: maybe next week end we can drink a few beers spin some vinyl. I was looking for my Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" SACD yesterday and it hit me I left it at your place so you could jam it on your Oppo. What protractor did you use ? I read a post on vinylengine some like the Stevenson with that "S" arm. :scratch2:

Nice :thmbsp: maybe next week end we can drink a few beers spin some vinyl. I was looking for my Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" SACD yesterday and it hit me I left it at your place so you could jam it on your Oppo. What protractor did you use ? I read a post on vinylengine some like the Stevenson with that "S" arm. :scratch2:

Yep I still have your SACD only played it a couple of times just to see my player say SACD on the display lol.

yeah I may want to have some suds next weekend.
I only use the Technics alignment tool which is based the Stevenson alignment.
Going to give you the old AT-OC9ML/II, it really is done for, but you may want to retip it if the suspension is still good if not its landfill.
Should have replaced it sometime last year but just did not have the extra money.

Yep I still have your SACD only played it a couple of times just to see my player say SACD on the display lol.

yeah I may want to have some suds next weekend.
I only use the Technics alignment tool which is based the Stevenson alignment.
Going to give you the old AT-OC9ML/II, it really is done for, but you may want to retip it if the suspension is still good if not its landfill.
Should have replaced it sometime last year but just did not have the extra money.

I have a Technics stand that sets the over hang I used to hold all those vintage carts Pop had that I sold here last year. It made a good "engine stand" :D I used a printed Stevenson 2 point "null" I found on vinylengine. What bothered me was the hole for the spindle was just a cut out so I thouht I would purchase a real factory made protractor and see how far off I am., if any. My cart/stylus does sound really good now and I have played 200 or so Lp's now and several of them many times and they still sound good so I have not damaged the LP with this picky stylus I have. I will email you at home. Thanks for the MC cart. :)

I have a Technics stand that sets the over hang I used to hold all those vintage carts Pop had that I sold here last year. It made a good "engine stand" :D I used a printed Stevenson 2 point "null" I found on vinylengine. What bothered me was the hole for the spindle was just a cut out so I thouht I would purchase a real factory made protractor and see how far off I am., if any. My cart/stylus does sound really good now and I have played 200 or so Lp's now and several of them many times and they still sound good so I have not damaged the LP with this picky stylus I have. I will email you at home. Thanks for the MC cart. :)

overhang.jpg

picture.php

Back
Top Bottom