Yamaha CR-820 Receiver

Beautiful work Merrylander and congratulations to you Chicks, that is one fine looking receiver. I have one of these in my bedroom system, I always liked the look and sound of the old Yamaha receivers, classy

Congratulations on a beautiful receiver. I have restored a CR-820 and it certainly is a very nice-sounding unit. And of course, it looks fantastic too.

Merrylander, that case looks very impressive and beautiful. I wish I could do something like that. :) I have a rosewood Luxman amp with real wood veneer, is it safe to just sand it down like that? It has some scratches that I would like to get off. Thanks for the toxicity remark. Also, what is poly? And how do you apply it?

I would get some of the citric acid based stripper (safe to use indoors) and strip the finish from your Luxman. Then using a wood block for backing sand out the scratches - a 220 grit is the coarsest I would use. Then finish with say 330 grit. Poly is Minwak's Wipe-on-Poly, you simply wipe it on with a paper towe folded.

Oh, and wear a face mask.

Last edited:
It looks great! I love Yamaha's from this era. Vintage, yet somehow modern looking at the same time.

Having just purchased a CR-820, I've been reading up on these units. Just wanted to say that the receiver and veneer work in this thread are amazing!

Back
Top Bottom