SCORE....FREE "THE FISHER" Console...

cool!!!! I will give that a try. The only other proble is that I have low reception and when I tap on tbhe tuning gang, I get a real loud pop. Something must be loose. But the turntable and the aux in sounds wonderful.

Check the wiring around the tuning cap BOX for loose wires and or cold solder joints. Also open up the box and spray the tuning cap with NON RESIDUE Electronics cleaner. CRC makes a good one and it's available at Home Depot. Then with a straw from the DeOxit can, wick some in the tube and put a 1/2 drop on each of the pivot points where the spring clips make contact with the cap and frame. Don't get it anywhere else. Now exercise the tuner 20-30 times full scale.

Larry

Thanks so much. I will resolder the wires around the tuning gang. It is freed up and the needle is showing my pulling in stations. But it is not loud and it's muddy. I will try your suggestion tomorrow. I will have time tomorrow. I am amazed at how much better this console sounds compaired to my Diplomat. Maybe it is just the Diplomat needs real tlc.. Anyhow I really appreciate your help. Mike.

Sadly the Royal Electra cabinet didn't survive the 2011 Hurricane. Basement flooded and the R.E. and a Magnavox got waterlogged along the bottom of the cabinet. It was dewatered, cocooned in plastic with a dehumidifier inside the cocoon. The delamination and warping of the bottom panel was severe and short of building a new panel from 3/4 plywood wasn't worth the effort. So the speakers, turntable and what was left of the receiver was pulled and the cabinet cut up. But it'll live on in other consoles as the parts are swappable with quite a lot of my gear.

Larry

A sad coda. I hate to think of all the Fishers lost to flooded basements. I recently lugged the Philharmonic up to our third floor spare bedroom. The Commander's has been upstairs here in the computer room for the past year. Between earthquakes, hurricanes and the threat of burst pipes, I have become paranoid about my basement - and it's never had a problem before.

I'll leave the listing in the Compendium up for reference purposes but I'll add one of these: '✝' to denote a console that gave all it could.

VERY nice pickup, Larry!! Clean, too!!

John

HA HA...on a side note, my very first TT was a BSR McDonald, but I forgot the model #...circa 1972-73

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom