The Commmander's Console (Pt. 1)

I was saddened to learn this morning that the Commander, Ralph Dannettell, passed away on Sept. 30, 2011. I am glad that I had the opportunity of meeting him - even if it was only briefly. I could have listened to his stories all day. Had I known in time, I certainly would have liked to have attended his ceremony at Arlington Nation Cemetery.

Here is a fascinating article his hometown newspaper, the Evansville Courier & Press, ran on him some time ago:

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2008/oct/19/in-the-eye-of-the-storm-evansville-native-was-of/

And a movie proposal based on an extraordinary emergency landing he orchestrated in Lockheed Super Constellation:

http://vw1assoc.tripod.com/beth_davidow_proposal.html

(MODERATORS: You may want to move this old thread to the Fisher Forum.)

Last edited:
Hiya,

Carter and here I was wondering what the symbolism was of the Commanders Console when you and Larry talked about it. I thought it was some acronym or some special Avery Fisher invention.

God Speed Commander Dannettell and what a awesome story. Consoles I feel bring history to life like no other piece of vintage gear.

Frannie

Now you know "The REST OF THE STORY". Pictures are great, but seeing this "MONSTER" in person is humbling, to say the least.

COMPARISON (My opinion only!)

If I had never heard of the Executive's(63-65) of the same period and the CDR's Console, and someone had shown them to me at the same time, I would have picked the CDR's Console. The craftsmanship is a Magnitude above the TOTL FISHER Cabinets, components are top notch if not TOTL, and the little touches are on the CDR's that aren't on the FISHER. Things like the screening on the openings on the back side to keep errant flying bugs out, and minimize dust/dirt, for example. The insides on this console are flat out CLEAN. The cabinet finish is something you see on furniture that costs 10-15 times what this console cost new. Speaker component layout in the speaker cabinets is outstanding with color coded leads, and some but not too much slack. Connectors are upper grade. It's classy in a conservative manner, more so than the FISHER.

Cdr Donatell's selection of audio components reflect pretty much what FISHER put in the Executive, save the Tape Deck and speakers. I think an AMPEX would work better, but the SONY looks like it belongs here. The speaker drivers are a couple of steps above what the Executive would have. The sound quality is OUTSTANDING. It sounds like a high end Fisher Console but LARGER and with more presence. Imagine a couple of Altec, Stephens, or Jensen Triaxial's in the cab's!?!?! OMG! Overall the CDR did it right. Good research, and damned good gear for the era. And a cabinet maker that did the job right. Sometimes it makes for a good console. In this case, it makes for an ABSOLUTELY STUNNING Console. I'll take this over an Executive or a President anyday. I can make room at my place if Karen gets a burr under her saddle.

Thank you Cdr. for your service, and your dedication. You stand relieved of the Watch, Sir.

Larry

Nothing wrong with good British drivers. Wharfedale, Goodmans and Tannoy built some absolutely supreme products.

Finally made the time to visit Arlington National Cemetery and pay my respects to the Commander. The new ANC Explorer application makes it very easy to find grave sites now. I found the Commander's memorial at the southern end of the cemetery about a mile from the Visitor Center. The side of the Pentagon hit by flight 77 is only a short distance away. The Commander and his wife, (a former Cherry Blossom Queen,) are both interred there. Their stone is right at the end of a row and was very easy to spot.

On my way out I swung past the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It has been many years since I was last there. Unfortunately, as I was approaching, a three-car tram loaded with tourists pulled up and disgorged its noisy and disrespectful cargo. So I made a wide detour around the back side and up toward Arlington House. As I passed below the the mast of the battleship Maine, the bells at the Tomb tolled the hour and the changing of the guard. That sound had a profound effect on me; I certainly hope it put a hush on that crowd.

There was a similar throng at the Kennedy graves as I descended the hillside but I stopped for a few minutes, anyway. JFK - another Fisher guy - also a Navy guy. Only Fisher's 1966 Roster lists any Kennedys - but just Bobby & Joe Sr. - not Jack. Of course we now know JFK had several Fishers. It all got me thinking . . . there must be a lot of Fisher guys buried here.

When I got home I looked up Col. Norbert Zwicke, the original owner of my first Fisher. He's there. He was the Navigator/Bombardier aboard the B-17 "Nora 2nd" in the 8th Air Force. I even found a photo of him with the rest of his crew. He's the one pointing at the nose of his plane - his station.

http://www.fold3.com/image/32145331/

Then I looked up Demitro Matt Kruchko, the prior and original owner of the Contemporary II/"Stereo Companion" in my living room. He was a Navy pilot in the Pacific theater during WWII and started his own radar company, Vega Precision Laboratories, after the war. He's not there but I did find him in another cemetery just outside Fairfax, Va. His obit lists a surviving son living in the same town as me. It would be interesting (but weird, I know) to contact him and ask him about his father.

I also checked some of the different rosters of Fisher owners I have which list military/government persons against the ANC Explorer. Turns out you could probably create fairly lengthy and interesting tour of Arlington just based on their hi-fi preferences in life.

Note that ALL are OFFICER's. Very Few (if any) had the $$$ to get high end stuff in the 60's.

Larry

True, very true, Larry. Most of those listed in Fisher's Rosters were Generals and Admirals. Where in Fisher's lineup do you suppose they would have been shopping? I think Lieutenant Jamieson with his (now your) 510 (now 610) is the lowest ranking Fisher I have encountered. I did not find him listed at Arlington.

Figure if they were Bachelors they didn't have many household effects and tended to that when they went to sea duty a lot of them just lived on the ship and stored the household effects. So they tended to the consolette's, or separates. Married guys (the wives more often wore their husbands rank more than the officer once they got to LCDR) tended to larger and more furniture, so they gravitated to the upper end and or custom stuff. Back in the 60's getting something made in Japan was relatively cheap, but the quality was excellent, plus it would be considered household effects and as long as it didn't go over the weight limit, the GOV'T moved it. The Higher the Rank, the more a status symbol it became. BIGGER, Better, More Gear in the cabinet, etc. And you got the extras to go with the gear.

Larry

WOW!! Red, this has got to be the coolest thread I've EVER seen posted here!...Thank you so much for bumping it so us noobs can gawk in amazement!! So much history here...I just loved reading this from start to finish. I'm going to read it all again so I can follow the links and check the details closer on your documentation...This is just great!!
Excellent!! Thanks again!!

John

Now you know "The REST OF THE STORY". Pictures are great, but seeing this "MONSTER" in person is humbling, to say the least.

COMPARISON (My opinion only!)

If I had never heard of the Executive's(63-65) of the same period and the CDR's Console, and someone had shown them to me at the same time, I would have picked the CDR's Console. The craftsmanship is a Magnitude above the TOTL FISHER Cabinets, components are top notch if not TOTL, and the little touches are on the CDR's that aren't on the FISHER. Things like the screening on the openings on the back side to keep errant flying bugs out, and minimize dust/dirt, for example. The insides on this console are flat out CLEAN. The cabinet finish is something you see on furniture that costs 10-15 times what this console cost new. Speaker component layout in the speaker cabinets is outstanding with color coded leads, and some but not too much slack. Connectors are upper grade. It's classy in a conservative manner, more so than the FISHER.

Cdr Donatell's selection of audio components reflect pretty much what FISHER put in the Executive, save the Tape Deck and speakers. I think an AMPEX would work better, but the SONY looks like it belongs here. The speaker drivers are a couple of steps above what the Executive would have. The sound quality is OUTSTANDING. It sounds like a high end Fisher Console but LARGER and with more presence. Imagine a couple of Altec, Stephens, or Jensen Triaxial's in the cab's!?!?! OMG! Overall the CDR did it right. Good research, and damned good gear for the era. And a cabinet maker that did the job right. Sometimes it makes for a good console. In this case, it makes for an ABSOLUTELY STUNNING Console. I'll take this over an Executive or a President anyday. I can make room at my place if Karen gets a burr under her saddle.

Thank you Cdr. for your service, and your dedication. You stand relieved of the Watch, Sir.

Larry

Beautiful console, that is. I can totally-imagine how that setup must sound. I have Wharfedale W90's from the same era as those Super 12's, plus I just picked up a recapped Fisher 800c like the one in that console, so they can't be far-off from each other in terms of sonics. The *00c models definitely go well with the early '60's Wharfies, that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom