Not Exactly A Fisher Question.........

PShuff

.........but I hope you'll help! :yes: :banana:

A friend of ours, inspired by our 500-C, went out to an estate/yard type sale and bought himself some tubes! :yippy:

It's not a receiver. He got an H.H. Scott 290 amplifier and an H.H. Scott model 122 pre-amplifier. They look very very handsome. We have done a little research with/for him and told him about this place obviously, but can't find a lot about those models. :no: We did find out that they are nice and fairly rare. He got both pieces for $300.

The Scott website doesn't even have a schematic for the 290 OR the 122! He hasn't opened anything up yet, but I still wanted to ask you guys a question: does the 122 use one of those selenium rectifiers like Daddy's 500-C had or diodes or something else? We were able to figure out just from looking at the top of the 290 and looking up all the tubes that it has a "full wave rectifier" TUBE in it. :yes: TWO of them actually! Number 5U4G

We have explained to him that whatever he does or doesn't do, that if it does have one of those selenium rectifiers in it that it has to GO! :yes:

We also told him about Variacs and dim bulb testers. Something else I need to know is if the 122 pre-amplifer has to have any sort of load on it like a power amp does when you start giving it the voltage?

Any help or suggestions would be great! :banana: I posted this here because I feel as if I know you guys (AND I KNOW I can trust your advice!).

Thanks a bunch!
Phyllis
:)

Last edited:
.........but I hope you'll help! :yes: :banana:

A friend of ours, inspired by our 500-C, went out to an estate/yard type sale and bought himself some tubes! :yippy:

It's not a receiver. He got an H.H. Scott 290 amplifier and an H.H. Scott model 122 pre-amplifier. They look very very handsome. We have done a little research with/for him and told him about this place obviously, but can't find a lot about those models. :no: We did find out that they are nice and fairly rare. He got both pieces for $300.

The Scott website doesn't even have a schematic for the 290 OR the 122! He hasn't opened anything up yet, but I still wanted to ask you guys a question: does the 122 use one of those selenium rectifiers like Daddy's 500-C had or diodes or something else? We were able to figure out just from looking at the top of the 290 and looking up all the tubes that it has a "full wave rectifier" TUBE in it. :yes: TWO of them actually! Number 5U4G

We have explained to him that whatever he does or doesn't do, that if it does have one of those selenium rectifiers in it that it has to GO! :yes:

We also told him about Variacs and dim bulb testers. Something else I need to know is if the 122 pre-amplifer has to have any sort of load on it like a power amp does when you start giving it the voltage?

Any help or suggestions would be great! :banana: I posted this here because I feel as if I know you guys (AND I KNOW I can trust your advice!).

Thanks a bunch!
Phyllis

290 info here... http://hhscott.com/basic.htm

122 info here... http://hhscott.com/100-.htm

No load needed for the preamp.

Fwiw you could of posted this in the tube forum not that it matters but some people just visit certain forums. Mabe a mod could move it for you.

Last edited:
Hi! :banana:
I'd rather it be here if it's "OK"! :yes:

Phyllis

No problem its ok with me. I was just making a suggestion that might get you more views on the tube forum since they are scott pieces and not fisher.

Anyways you might want to contact ak member tom bavis as he might have the schematics for them.

This is all top of the line stuff.
The preamp looks fabulous.
The 290 is a beast! Done up right it is a 50 watt/channel amp and will provide years of service. I don't know why, but straight up amps go for more than integrateds, which go for more than receivers.

This was originally purchased by someone who had to have the biggest and the best.

This should be a Tubes forum thread though. You can get more Scott-specific information from people who don't travel here.

does the 122 use one of those selenium rectifiers like Daddy's 500-C had or diodes or something else?

Looking at the HH Scott site, it shows that the 122 preamp uses a 6X4. A google search shows that the 6X4 is a full wave rectifier. Other HH Scott preamps of that era show using a 6X4 along with a selenium rectifier.

http://www.timebanditaudio.com/scott/scott26.JPG

In this instance, it looks like the selenium rectifier was used for the heaters.

Another Google search turned up this...

Attachments

• hh-scott-290.jpg
    hh-scott-290.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom