Replaced the jewels on my X-202-B.

the_nines

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I received the replacements a few days ago.

The unit I bought had some monochrome blue ones which were glued on.

I took the time this afternoon and replaced them.

These are the jewels that came with the unit:

IMG_1269_zps84c99974.jpg

IMG_1270_zpsde084141.jpg

The replacements:

IMG_1271_zps365b8ba9.jpg

IMG_1272_zpsbabc7c1f.jpg

Off with the old:

IMG_1274_zpsf3bc27d7.jpg

IMG_1276_zpsbb5fc16d.jpg

The blues are out (I must admit, they look pretty cool):

IMG_1277_zps9a690742.jpg

A bit of lighter-fluid for the old excess glue, dabbed with a Q-Tip:

IMG_1280_zps803be8c7.jpg

After the old glue is mildly soaked with lighter-fluid, I carefully scraped it off. No added pressure, don't want to scratch the face-plate:

IMG_1282_zps1d9d6de1.jpg

IMG_1284_zps78e22f89.jpg

In with the replacements:

IMG_1285_zps0457bb73.jpg

IMG_1289_zps99e4e5c7.jpg

Jewels are in.

Next step, cleaning the face plate.

:yes:

Good Job...!

You had a lot of patience and did a nice job of cleaning the old glue off...
Now I see why you changed out the old jewels... 100% improvement..!

That will look beautiful when you are finished cleaning it up..

Very nice job...I really like the way those jewels add that little extra touch to the faceplate.

John

Last edited:
Nines -- For my own knowledge, are those jewels installed in the correct sequence?

I know the center channel jewel is and should be red to indicate when that channel is active, but on the X-1000 I am working on at the moment, it has amber jewels installed in the L(eft) and R(ight) positions, and green jewels installed in the Channel A and Channel B positions. The sequence of the indicators is the same on the X-1000 faceplate as shown on your face plate. It's not so much the absolute colors used that I'm questioning, but location. Shouldn't the outer L and R jewels be the same color, and the inner A and B jewels the same color as well? As I have come to understand it with the X-1000, the L and R indicators indicate if there is active output from that channel, while the A and B indicators indicate which channel's input the sound being produced is originating from. Does the X-202 operate the same way?

Inquiring minds need to know!

Dave

On my X202, the sequence is green, yellow, red, green, yellow, L to R. Both Channel A should be one color and both Channel B another color. In Stereo, lit indicators are two different colors--each channel is in operation (Green and Yellow). On Mono Phono, Channel A is played on BOTH channels, so BOTH Green indicators light. Reverse Stereo illuminates the inner yellow and inner green lamps (Left speaker is playing through the Right transformer and Right is playing through the Left transformer).

Stereo FM was simulcast so Channel A was the FM and B was the AM so they show different colors to indicate which was in operation. BOTH AM and FM tuners need to be in operation. Without MPX, FM will light only the Left (Channel A) lamp. Multiplex, being Stereo, will show two different colors and utilize both transformers.

Walyfd -- The indicators on this X-1000 are the same as yours -- except that the amber and green jewels are reversed.

It would seem to me however, that L(eft) and (channel) A are synonymous, while R(ight) and (channel) B are synonymous, with the left two jewels indicating if the input source and output of the left channel is active, and the right two jewels indicating if the input source and output of the right channel is active. So even if the green and amber jewels are reversed between this X-1000 and your X-202, both units still have one jewel of each color in each channel, as opposed to your comment that Both Channel A should be one color, and both Channel B another color -- or am I misinterpreting your comment?

EDIT: OOPS -- I should have read your sequence statement more carefully. The OP's and yours have different colors for the two output indicators, and different colors for the two source indicators. Personally, the way the X-1000 is set up makes more sense to me (sources one color, outputs one color), but I appreciate your taking the time to explain how yours it set up -- being the same as the OP's.

Dave

Last edited:
Nines -- For my own knowledge, are those jewels installed in the correct sequence?

I know the center channel jewel is and should be red to indicate when that channel is active, but on the X-1000 I am working on at the moment, it has amber jewels installed in the L(eft) and R(ight) positions, and green jewels installed in the Channel A and Channel B positions. The sequence of the indicators is the same on the X-1000 faceplate as shown on your face plate. It's not so much the absolute colors used that I'm questioning, but location. Shouldn't the outer L and R jewels be the same color, and the inner A and B jewels the same color as well? As I have come to understand it with the X-1000, the L and R indicators indicate if there is active output from that channel, while the A and B indicators indicate which channel's input the sound being produced is originating from. Does the X-202 operate the same way?

Inquiring minds need to know!

Dave

As far as I know (or been given to understand):

For five jewel units, such as the 400-CX-2 preamp, X-202-B integrated amp, or the X-1000 integrated amp, the color code is (from left to right):

Green-Amber-Red- Green-Amber

Looks like someone used small steel expansion cups for the knob brights. Interesting, but definitely not right. Where did you get the replacement brights? I have a Philharmonic chassis that I'd like to do something with, and it uses those same knobs. All but one has a missing bright, and the one I have fell off the knob.

Looks like someone used small steel expansion cups for the knob brights. Interesting, but definitely not right. Where did you get the replacement brights? I have a Philharmonic chassis that I'd like to do something with, and it uses those same knobs. All but one has a missing bright, and the one I have fell off the knob.

I just posted this in the most common parts thread but here it is again.

Replacement Jewels can be ordered from Mouser they are T1 LED lenses:

Here are the part numbers from Mouser:

593-2000G for the Green ones
593-2000A for the Amber ones
593-2000R for the Red ones

On the bay, look for user: tfsony

No affiliation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FISHER-Bras...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4ac47e7bcf

They should be arriving this week sometime. If you would like to wait, I will post pics as soon as I receive them so you'll know what they look like.

Evange,
The brights on my X-202-B are from left to right:

Green Amber Red Amber Green
L A C B R

I confess folks that I'd bought a few extra from budngreg on Ebay because I find I need them from time to time. I'd sold these to Evange.

The inside edge pinches in so you can extract them.

Of course, they are yours and if you like them in that sequence, that's good too.

And for Yellow, blue, clear, frosted clear
593-2000Y - Yellow $.28ea.
593-2000B - Blue ""
593-2000C - clear ""
593-2000GLO - Frosted clear $.39ea.

Evange,
The brights on my X-202-B are from left to right:

Green Amber Red Amber Green
L A C B R

I confess folks that I'd bought a few extra from budngreg on Ebay because I find I need them from time to time. I'd sold these to Evange.

The inside edge pinches in so you can extract them.

Of course, they are yours and if you like them in that sequence, that's good too.

Don,

No problem with switching them around.

However, I am now officially confused as to color sequence.

Fisher says:
For five jewel units such as 400CX2, X202B, X1000, the color code is as follows: Green-Amber-Red-Green-Amber

I searched the net, found both configurations:

1. Green-Amber-Red-Amber-Green
2. Green-Amber-Red-Green-Amber

Found this on one of your threads:

attachment.php

Like I said, don't mind switching around two jewels.

I look toward members like you, as well as a few others in the Fisher forum for guidance.

No disrespect or doubt intended. You're my pal. :)

Which one is it?

:scratch2:

Last edited:
Your point is valid. I simply looked at my X-202-B and sent you what I found.
Look at it this way: These are snap-ins. You change your mind, you can easily move them.
That being said, that's how the X-1000 was before I got it. I've had the front panel on that one redone and I believe I put them in the other way.

At this point, it's not about historical accuracy anyway. It's about preference.

Your point is valid. I simply looked at my X-202-B and sent you what I found.
Look at it this way: These are snap-ins. You change your mind, you can easily move them.
That being said, that's how the X-1000 was before I got it. I've had the front panel on that one redone and I believe I put them in the other way.

At this point, it's not about historical accuracy anyway. It's about preference.

You know what?

It's about how the unit sounds.

I can always shift lights around.

Thanks Don.

:thmbsp:

I know that Jewels had fallen out of that unit and been reglued when I got it.

Here's how I set it up after. This is, however, a copy of what I'd seen on the X-202-B and on the other X-1000 that I'd purchased that has already moved on.

Looked at from the functionality perspective, having the L(eft) and R(ight) lamps and the channel A and channel B lamps the same color makes sense to me.

attachment.php

I know that Jewels had fallen out of that unit and been reglued when I got it.

Here's how I set it up after. This is, however, a copy of what I'd seen on the X-202-B and on the other X-1000 that I'd purchased that has already moved on.

Looked at from the functionality perspective, having the L(eft) and R(ight) lamps and the channel A and channel B lamps the same color makes sense to me.

attachment.php

I can understand it. Visually it makes sense, it's symmetrical.

But why would Fisher say it's: Green-Amber-Red-Green-Amber

This is the part that has me confused.

Back
Top Bottom