My modest system.

Dave_72

:D:D

You might have seen this on Audiogon...

JBL S4700 speakers

Bryston 4BSST amp and BP6P preamp

Technics SL-1210M5G with Audio-Technica AT150MLX cart.

Onkyo DX-7555 cd player

Cables are a mix of Bryston, FM Acoustics, Kimber, and Technics.

Enjoy. And let me know what you think; good, bad, or otherwise! :D

P.S. I will begin upgrading later this year. My first upgrade will be a Class A solid state amp (with new speaker cables,) then preamp/phono preamp, then sources. This probably will take a while, maybe another year.

LV1_4052.jpg

IMG_0731.2.jpg

IMG_9985.jpg

IMG_9984.jpg

IMG_9993.jpg

Last edited:
You are being modest about your 'modest' system. Looks pretty damn good to me. I'm a fan of Bryston, BTW.

If this setup isn't meeting your expectations, then I would like to see what you are upgrading to...

Wow ! Me likey . And as frahengeo said , can't wait to see what you "upgrade" too.
Rudy .

Modest?....come on brah. If that's modest mine is made by fisher price. Seriously though, nice gear. Love the JBLs. I'll bet those Brystons make beautiful music with them. Any listening fatigue with that set up? I'm not sure about what onkyo CD player you have but my gut tells me it's not in the same league as the rest of the system.

Last edited:
Well, modest compared to today's ultra high end systems. However, I'm not going to attempt to reach such a lofty goal as there's only so much money to spread around. Bryston is good, you could do a lot worse, but I've tried some other amps, particularly Class A, and it showed up the Bryston as being restricted in highs, mids, and soundstage. Of course the Class A amps are more $$$. I didn't pay much (in high end terms) for the bryston. The JBLs...they didn't sound too good out of the box. Too ripe in the upper bass, and lifeless in the mids and highs. After 2 years of break-in, they sound rather good. Finally!
Now the sources...yes, good, but more bang for the buck stuff. I'm not gonna be delusional and say the Technics, as good as it is, is on the level of a Transrotor. Same for the Onkyo DX-7555. It got very good reviews, and since I'm mostly an LP guy, it's all the CD player I feel I need at the moment. I think my next move with that is to get a DAC and use the Onkyo as a transport. A good DAC should smoke the old Wolfson in the DX-7555.

Well, those are my thoughts tonight. Thanks guys, for your feedback!

Modest?....come on brah. If that's modest mine is made by fisher price. Seriously though, nice gear. Love the JBLs. I'll bet those Brystons make beautiful music with them. Any listening fatigue with that set up? I'm not sure about what onkyo CD player you have but my gut tells me it's not in the same league as the rest of the system.

To be honest, yes, some listening fatigue. But, after several hours mind you. Thanks for your kind words!

Yea, I have an entery level "McIntosh" system too. As long as we're being honest with each other. ;)

Great system, and I really like the round antique style table you are using for the Turntable. Makes it unique and a showpiece - centerpiece of the system. Very nice.

Enjoy that "modest" system.

fine!!

Darn fine system. Love the vinyl engine and I have the same cart. I would wager that your rig makes some very fine music.

Good job.

That system looks "low end"....sell it to me and you can start over!

I got first dibs on the turntable! :yes: :thmbsp:

I have known people who have started out with less popular gear. Your gear is flat out awesome. I am like the others, I cannot wait to see what you upgrade to. :music:

I got first dibs on the turntable! :yes: :thmbsp:

I have known people who have started out with less popular gear. Your gear is flat out awesome. I am like the others, I cannot wait to see what you upgrade to. :music:

Haha, thanks. I'll most likely upgrade piece by piece. I can't buy everything in 1 fell swoop. And matter of fact, there's the possibility of me only changing 1 or 2
units and that's it. As all of you know, this stuff is very expensive, so you can't rush into things and you have to have patience. And of course, as money permits.
I'm not gonna live off of Ramen for many years just to upgrade! But, I have cut down on going out and what have you.

Last edited:
The old end table that the Technics sits on is a hand me down from my parents. Glad you guys like it. It's built very solidly and weighs in the neighborhood of maybe 60 lbs. It in fact does wonders killing the vibrations or most of them anyway. I can bang on the table and no skipping or feeldback.

Back
Top Bottom