Any Reel guys interested in a tape swap?

Wardsweb

Behind The Curtain
Staff member
Admin
In golf terms a round robin with a shotgun start. Eveyone records a 10.5 reel at 7.5ips, then we all send our tapes to the next guy in the circle. These make the rounds until your tape comes back to you. Music is of the recorders choice. That way we hear different kinds of music, we hear stuff recorded on different machines and on different type tape. I'm already doing this with some other guys, so the more the merrier. What do you think?

I like every aspect of the idea 'cept the 10-1/2" reel. That would render some (many) folks non-players, wouldn't it? I have a vested interest in this, since at the moment I own identically one 10-1/2" tape (sealed Maxell UD-35-180) and identically one machine that would accommodate it (an RT-909).

I assume you're thinking quarter-track stereo?

Cool guys. I will get in contact with my buddy in Austin that's co-ordinating the logistics. Then we can roll your tapes into the rotation.

I'd be interested as well.
Now to find some cheap take up reels....I'd hate to have some postal junkie screw up one of my metal reels :nono:

I had a request for 7 1/2 " reels inplace of the aforementioned 10 1/2". So to open this up to more people, you may choose the size tape that works best for you.

I can do 7-1/2 inch reels. What tape should I try and find? I don't have any blank tapes, just pre-recorded stuff.

pen_man said:
Is the swap still on? Are there two swaps- a 7 and a 10 inch?
Still on, working logistics for the round robin swap. Each person may choose if they wish to record and send a 7" or 10.5" reel. If possible please record at 7.5ips for the best quality.

Count me in, for 7 1/2" tape. Another suggestion, write on the box what make and model deck it was recorded on and any other pertinent info, like if it was vinyl, what turntable and cartridge, what preamp, etc.

Wardsweb said:
Still on, working logistics for the round robin swap. Each person may choose if they wish to record and send a 7" or 10.5" reel. If possible please record at 7.5ips for the best quality.

What happens if we send a 10 1/2" reel with NAB hubs???

The 7" guys won't be able to use it?

Maybe we all need to go 7"??? That still would be 96 minutes both sides @ 7 1/2 ips, which really would be plenty of time. 2 lps worth back in the day

cabinover said:
7" guys wouldn't fit 10 1/2" anyways I don't think.

All the 10 1/2" decks I've had (Pioneer RT-1020L, Akai GX-635D, and Revox A77) could handle both size reels, so I can play whatever, but those big ones won't fit many decks out there :yes:

Back
Top Bottom