Help ID a Regal flat top

Waiting for the glue to finish drying (day 3 of 7), I thought I would throw on a coat of Old English. I used the dark scratch cover on the back and sides, and the clear stuff on the top. Not a permanent solution, but it sure looks better than it did. :thmbsp:

54C050F8-F66C-4B0E-91C8-D8B050F28571_zpso1dmrath.jpg

D682D269-2D28-458A-BFC5-20568F409127_zps0cuh81qr.jpg

Sure wish I could do it justice. I was at best a rhythm player 20 years ago. I hardly pick one up anymore, but this one just got me when I seen it. I wish I knew a good picker now days. All the ones I knew back when are dead or MIA. But I will play it because its going to be close by.
This guitar is getting cooler all the time. I have tried to find out more info on it and I am getting nowhere. I googled "Regal guitar with tortoise shell headstock", and the only one pictured is mine! There's tons of guitars pictured, but none with my headstock. Hmmmmmmm :scratch2:

Well, its my 60th birthday today, so I figured this would be a good day to string her up. I still need to shave a little off the saddle and maybe file some grooves, but the bridge held very good. I used the old strings until I get the saddle right, but I have a new set of Martins on my counter.
Haven't had a chance to play much, but that's coming!
B1D3E09F-736B-48DD-9B14-90B3E40428C3_zpsgn2ot6l4.jpg

4F4D33DC-89D9-425E-8AED-9E6A3FBC1D83_zpsxlsdbxfd.jpg

Nice work! If she sounds even half as good as she looks you've got yourself a winner there.

Thanks valvenator. I posted this guitar on an acoustic guitar forum, and someone said it looked very similar to a Regal Model 517, the Jumbo Junior, and it does! But I still need to find out why this one has the unique headstock. Custom, promo, prototype?

Another update from AGF:
That is actually not tortoise shell but a firestripe overlay.

I think you are reading too much into it as far as the guitar being a prototype or something. I agree that the firestripe overlay is less common than the "Chrystaline" MOTS. But when dealing with the jobbers, specs were often more guidelines than something carved in stone. What you got in terms of bling was luck of the draw. Probably every one made in that batch had the same MOTS on the headstock. The next batch might have had something different or no overlay at all with the Regal decal.

The other possibility is the guitar might have one of a run made for a specific store which wanted that particular overlay on the headstock.

Point is this style of guitar was in production for over 20 years and you will probably run into a number of variations in terms of bling and logo style. Making it more confusing, the guitar probably sported different model numbers through the years. I would say your guitar has an unusual headstock overlay on Regal's trademark coke bottle headstock.

Not as rare as I thought, I guess, but its still a damn cool guitar! :banana:

Thanks Mystic!! Still haven't played it yet. I almost broke my left pinkie Sunday. Waiting for the swelling to go down. :tears:

Thanks Mystic!! Still haven't played it yet. I almost broke my left pinkie Sunday. Waiting for the swelling to go down. :tears:

dobyman,

Left pinkie sufficiently mended that you've been able (at last) to get some playin' time on the Regal?

Actually no! LOL I keep hitting it and hooking on everything and its still sore as hell. Cant rest long enough to get it to heal. :no:

You don't need no stinkin' pinkie! Django Reinhardt did fine with just two fingers!
Honestly though I don't know how, I'd be hopeless without mine. :no:

Its not even the pinkie itself, its the swelling and soreness between the pinkie and the ring finger. I can barely bend the ring finger too. Arthritis isn't enough, now I have to have this! :D

Its not even the pinkie itself, its the swelling and soreness between the pinkie and the ring finger. I can barely bend the ring finger too. Arthritis isn't enough, now I have to have this! :D

Maybe a spate of tendonitis? Rest up as much as you can, though doing so with one's hands & fingers is a tricky unless it/they is/are immobilized.

Back
Top Bottom