Speaker placement in my living room (with photos)

Luis.correia

So this is my living room. As you can see my setup with turntable is on the right. I have a fire place in the middle.

All to the right there is a huge glass window.

Right now the two speakers are in the middle of the room to the left and to the right of the fireplace.

Before I had the left column next to the fireplace and the right column close to the window, on the right of the turntable.

For this room, which speaker positioning do you guys think it will work best?

1) as it is?

2) as I had before?

3) one speaker in each corner of the room?

Close to a glass window is no good right?

You ca even see my two kisds paying in the living room :)

fa4de92982f816cf7f9978f4b08d1d35.jpg

74df650091b58e862bad4546d8db42c8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

those kids are throwing off the stereo image-mount them about five feet off the floor a nd in each back corner-the difference in you room acoustics will be stunning!

When you said "huge glass window", that strikes terror in my heart due to the nasty reflective issues, but from the pictures, with those blinds and heavy drapes, that kind of takes the window out of consideration. Actually the other blank sheetrock wall is probably more reflective.

The kids definitely add to the damping factor, but I'm sure they are hard to "permanently mount" LOL

Looks good--the only thing that would concern me is the stability of those speakers/stands out in the open in the presence of the "little people"--and that is a safety issue, not a sound issue.

Nice kids and place! I would go for the actual setting. Glass as any highly acoustic reflective surface is very bad for acoustics. The best is to try to damp reflections (curtains, rugs, as I see in the picture are good). I guess the kids put some practical limitations on the speakers' positions. If not, I'd play a bit getting the speakers farther from the walls. Are these bass reflex speakers? Where is the reflex port located (front or back)?

I am surprised that in the presence of diaper fillers that your speakers remain upright.

Do you use the speakers with the tv?

If so, you might want to flank the tv with the speakers and putting the tv and sofa off angle to the room.

Otherwise, you probably have the best position for the speakers.

The seating seems to be too far from the tv and the speakers. The red sofa is blocking sound from the speakers.

Nice kids and place! I would go for the actual setting. Glass as any highly acoustic reflective surface is very bad for acoustics. The best is to try to damp reflections (curtains, rugs, as I see in the picture are good). I guess the kids put some practical limitations on the speakers' positions. If not, I'd play a bit getting the speakers farther from the walls. Are these bass reflex speakers? Where is the reflex port located (front or back)?

Bass ports are located in the back of the speakers

Before I had each speaker to the side of the table where I have the system. The red sofa was facing the speakers and the hifi system. It was a very nice listening position and sofa... Making a perfect triangle. My problem was not only the glass issue but also the corners....

I am surprised that in the presence of diaper fillers that your speakers remain upright.

Do you use the speakers with the tv?

If so, you might want to flank the tv with the speakers and putting the tv and sofa off angle to the room.

Otherwise, you probably have the best position for the speakers.

The seating seems to be too far from the tv and the speakers. The red sofa is blocking sound from the speakers.

The speakers are not for the TV. Only hifi

Do you guys think the speakers are too close together?

Speaker width is directly related to listening distance. Some go for an equilateral setup with lots of toe in. That can sometimes lead to the "hole in the middle" sound. I prefer a speaker width of 70% of the listening distance.

Might help to get a bigger rug to cover some of that hard floor. That's gotta be pretty harsh on your sound.

Actually I think the Kids are excellent deflection, damping and dispersion accessories as they grow more damping, well done Sir! I admire you for having speakers so far out as I've had adults trip over speaker wires like yours, I'm smiling with you.
More area rugs, some bookcases on each side of the fire place might spoil your clean modern look but would absorb and disperse sound. Maybe tapestries or real oil paintings (Vermeer not Picasso) on the walls which would absorb sound. I'm full of expensive ideas! I'm jealous because i have too much clutter.

My OCD commands you to block that fireplace with stereo equipment and mount the TV above it.

My OCD commands you to block that fireplace with stereo equipment and mount the TV above it.

I would also mount the TV above the fireplace opening and place speakers appropriately on either side. Then center your furniture. It would give you both a bettern baland and view of the TV and fireplace.

Back
Top Bottom