Is the Benchmark DAC-1 still a good buy in 2015?

JimJ[VT]

Hey there!

I have a chance to pick up a Benchmark DAC-1 Pre (the one with both USB inputs and RCA outs) for about $600. Ultimately, I'd like to go with a tubed headphone setup for my office with a separate DAC, but I figure something like this will get me started, as well as give me another preamp option whenever I get around to setting up my home triode rig again.

Is this still a good buy today, or are there better options out there for that many Benjamins (Audeze Deckard, Shiit stack, etc...)? Thanks!

Here's what I know about the Benchmark DAC1 series:

- Used to master many, many hits and albums over the past 10 years.
- Remains a highly respected device even today and despite the newer DAC2 series

I'd suggest you check with Benchmark just be sure it is still supported well enough to your satisfaction.

As disclosure, I just purchased a DAC2 - the L version - as my primary preamp and control/switching center. I can't say enough good things about it and only wish I had done it years ago!

Cheers,

David

Note also there were slightly different versions of the DAC1 Pre. The latter models had slightly better opamps.

There are so many excellent DACs available it is almost overwhelming. I had a nice Schiit Gungnir for three years and recently picked up a NAD M51 which I think is quite nice. While important without a doubt, the differences in DACs is likely to have less impact in your system (voicing of the DAC aside) than your speakers or headphones for instance.

I guess I would ask you what is behind your desire for a new DAC? Is your current DAC not to your liking, or might other aspects of your system be the real reason you are less pleased with the sound of your system?

I'd grab it quick and furiously. Benchie pre is an statement. Technically it's almost flawless as it's capabilities are way beyond our ear. From an engineering standpoint, its soo good some scopes are unable to measure its noisefloor.

Another thing is how you like your THD and IMD....

Sent from my HTC J One using Tapatalk

I also own a DAC2 and supposedly the opamps of later versions of the DAC1 Pre are the same designs that is used in the DAC 2 (as edwyun noted). Some people hear big differences between the DAC1 and DAC2 others just hear an evolution.

Like dshoaf I procrastinated about buying a DAC2 and it's so good I ended up buying two. It has analog inputs too. For that price I don't think you could go wrong with the DAC1, Grab it! Plug the Emotiva XPS1 phono preamp into it and one can get into Vinyl too.

The competition (as BMWCCA is eluding too) are the Emotiva DACs. The Emotiva DC-1 ($450) also uses LM4562 opamps in its preamp section which is a somewhat similar iterations to what the BM DAC1 pre and BM DAC2 use. It's also an excellent DAC preamp plus it has an analog input. I like keeping an analog option open, which might not be everyone's cup of tea. I haven't opened the hood yet of my DC1 but if you look inside a BM DAC adjectives like jewel box or Swiss army knife come to mind. It breaths quality. It is going to last another 10 years no problem, which is a lifetime for DAC years.

Well, that deal looks like it fell through. Started a PP chargeback today.

Back to looking, I guess. There's a DAC1 Pre on A'gon for a grand, but that seems like it's wishful thinking.

Unfortunately, DAC seem to change like a fart in the wind. I run a SCHIIT bifrost with the uber upgrade and it sounds good. Please keep in mind, shit in, shit out. You need a good transort or properly configured digital files. MP3's don't cut it, and pluggin in your Apple Ipod/phone won't cut it.

I was enlightened by a cheap DAC and got a better DAC. Each an every integration seems to improve sound significantly. Please keep in mind that if you have nothing behind it, don't expect much.

Unfortunately, DAC seem to change like a fart in the wind. I run a SCHIIT bifrost with the uber upgrade and it sounds good. Please keep in mind, shit in, shit out. You need a good transort or properly configured digital files. MP3's don't cut it, and pluggin in your Apple Ipod/phone won't cut it.

I was enlightened by a cheap DAC and got a better DAC. Each an every integration seems to improve sound significantly. Please keep in mind that if you have nothing behind it, don't expect much.

Oh, don't worry - I dumped MP3 for my serious listening a decade ago :) This will be all run off a laptop with FLAC only.

I found a pretty good deal on a Decware CSP2, so as much as I was thinking I'd avoid tubes for this I may go that route again :smoke: The Schiit Modi seems like a hell of a deal for what they want, too.

If you feel like a little bit of DIY, the Buffalo DAC is really good. Several members of my audio club have built them and are thrilled with it.
Good luck hunting,
John

I wish I could. My soldering iron and all my tools are boxed up in storage...90% of my material life at the moment resides in a 20'x15' air conditioned box :p

Back
Top Bottom