Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

:drool::drool::drool:

Got an issue with one AR9. No highs. Pulled the tweet and high mid and checked with meter. The tweet is dead. Mid is 4.2 ohms. Checked tweet wires on another tweeter, plays. Still no upper mid, hooked another speaker to upper mid wires, still no sound. Lower mid and bass plays. Any ideas. :scratch2:

I found a recently serviced perfect condition Marantz 2285 receiver for $400 today, and 3 sets of speakers (plus a subwoofer)

JBL L100's (minty except with one woofer hole)
Sansui AS-100 (They sound really good!)
Polk Audio SDA CRS reference
JBL powered Subwoofer PSW1200

for an additional $400 .

I really just wanted the Marantz & the JBL L100's to add to my collection, so the rest was gravy... The JBL's L100's I'm going to take in for a full restore.

Nice! Been wanting a pair of CRS but they are hard to get around here.

I found a recently serviced perfect condition Marantz 2285 receiver for $400 today, and 3 sets of speakers (plus a subwoofer)

JBL L100's (minty except with one woofer hole)
Sansui AS-100 (They sound really good!)
Polk Audio SDA CRS reference
JBL powered Subwoofer PSW1200

for an additional $400 .

I really just wanted the Marantz & the JBL L100's to add to my collection, so the rest was gravy... The JBL's L100's I'm going to take in for a full restore.

I found these JBL L100 today at the flea. I think they are at the other end of the scale. I hooked them up briefly and they still sounded awesome.

Attachments

• P1030024.jpg
    P1030024.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 195
  • P1030025.jpg
    P1030025.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 156
  • P1030026.jpg
    P1030026.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 132
  • P1030027.jpg
    P1030027.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 108
There was a garage sale about seven houses down from me today. I stopped by, because I spotted a box of records. They had LZ's In Through the Out Door for a buck and a Dolly Parton for two dollars. I think you can figure out which one I bought!

Technically, I bought four... the LZ, Foghat, ELO, and Billy Joel's The Stranger. I already had the BJ disc, but that one is packed with so many hits that I picked it up, anyway. I also had the Dolly record, which is pretty good, but why price that one at double the others? Zep is worth $10 to $20, but that Dolly disc will never be worth much. Odd pricing strategy!

On a side note, I asked if they'd been successful at selling the records, and she said they had sold about a dozen already. I wonder what I missed out on? Probably a dollar first pressing of The Beatles and a two dollar Streisand?!?

There was a garage sale about seven houses down from me today. I stopped by, because I spotted a box of records. They had LZ's In Through the Out Door for a buck and a Dolly Parton for two dollars. I think you can figure out which one I bought!

I got one today at the flea. $1 also. Still had the outer envelope intact.

Pioneer Scroe!

A friend of mine gave me a phone number to a person whom I've never met. His name is Jim and he wanted to give his old gear to a good home. Cost was free! :banana: I offered money and he refused.
The Pioneer SX-980 receivers FM light is out. It is really dirty. All the switches and pots need cleaning.
The Pioneer RT-707 is really dirty but works great.
The Pioneer EQ has a power light that is out.

Sorry for the bad pictures. These were taken while the gear was still in his garage. The cleaning on the receiver has already begun. Good karma to Jim!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• sx-980.jpg
    sx-980.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 533
  • rt-707.jpg
    rt-707.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 529
  • pioneereq.jpg
    pioneereq.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 532
A friend of mine gave me a phone number to a person whom I've never met. His name is Jim and he wanted to give his old gear to a good home. Cost was free! :banana: I offered money and he refused.
The Pioneer SX-980 receivers FM light is out. It is really dirty. All the switches and pots need cleaning.
The Pioneer RT-707 is really dirty but works great.
The Pioneer EQ has a power light that is out.

Sorry for the bad pictures. These were taken while the gear was still in his garage. The cleaning on the receiver has already begun. Good karma to Jim!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's a good find! I thought my 980 was a bit bright and brash, but I'm sure you could pair it with some real mellow speakers to really dial it in. It's definitely a pretty receiver! I loved just looking at mine.

That's a good find! I thought my 980 was a bit bright and brash, but I'm sure you could pair it with some real mellow speakers to really dial it in. It's definitely a pretty receiver! I loved just looking at mine.
Maybe that is why the eq is frowning instead of smiling?

Got a Kenwood KR-6050 yesterday free from a friend. Tuner section is out but sounds great on everything else

goodwill today....
ridding around, rode on by the turn to the store, but the inner voice said
"go back and look"
listen to the inner voices....LOL

now to peal off those silly stickers....

Hmm. Mine was anything but bright and brash. I rather enjoyed it, but sold it to another guy. Mated well with some Yamaha NS-690's.

Great, and I mean great find.

Here's an interesting find. Some employee at the goodwill decided to throw in a Polk Monitor CS100 center channel with some useless no name 2.7ohm boombox speakers, one with a dead woofer. All for a whopping $5. The junk speakers are going to the scrap heap but pretty stoked about this center channel

Attachments

• 20150803_142400.jpg
    20150803_142400.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20150803_142426.jpg
    20150803_142426.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 87
$16 well spent last night. All flips.
Might keep the Wall. I only have two copies. One an Australian press. This one is a very clean US press.
I was amazed to find a clean Levis Filson for almost nothing.
If it was a standard North Face Apex Jacket they would have had it behind the counter for $50. And some goof would buy it.

IMGP8270.jpg

IMGP8271.jpg

IMGP8275.jpg

Saw a Dual turntable, forget the model number but it used some sort of AC adapter which was nowhere to be seen. No way to test it so I left it.

Back
Top Bottom