Garrard 401 stopped turning

FWIW, Woodsongaudio.com sez: "If desired, complete disassembly of the linkages, and electroplating in Yellow Zinc, restoring the poisonous cadmium finish to new, bright and shiny."

The plus side of this coating shows the attention to quality and durability of the original manufacturing process. Handling the linkages (rather than say wire brush cleaning them) should be safe, but of course wash hands afterwards. See http://www.poeton.co.uk/w1/cadmium-plating.htm below. So, I wouldn't be afraid of it, but the job might be a bit challenging mechanically if you only have a screwdriver. If you have the budget you could get this job done in the UK (you should just post the motor unit), if not it would be nice to have a mechanically confident friend with you to help.

Otherwise, just take it slowly buying good quality tools as you need them. Just working on it at weekends is fine.

By the way you have a nice SME 3009 Improved tonearm there. The fact that the headshell is not removable means that you should definitely remove the stylus of your cartridge before trying to remove the motor unit from the chassis. The leads to the tonearm are easily unplugged.

Thanks for your comments, will it be possible for you to provide a list of tools that I would be needing.

Btw, how much would it cost to get it services in the UK. In case I mess it up.

FWIW, Woodsongaudio.com sez: "If desired, complete disassembly of the linkages, and electroplating in Yellow Zinc, restoring the poisonous cadmium finish to new, bright and shiny."

Well it is poisonous if you lick it, or grind the surface and inhale the dust. :)

Screwdrivers that fit the screws, and one small one to remove the circlip, and needle-nose pliers to put the circlip back on.

As long as you remember to not force anything you won't screw it up - we can walk you through whatever needs done.

+1 on JP's words.

The only other suggestions I would add is: (1) make sure you have good light when you are working and (2) when you disassemble it, do it on something like an old white sheet, so that if anything small like the circlip flies or drops off you can find it again. Actually most (all?) the parts can be replaced, but it can be scary if you think you've lost or broken something important. The good thing about both your Garrard motor unit and SME tonearm is that they were made to be fully serviceable.

You might also do a search of British audio sites, such as Pink Fish Media for more info on servicing Garrard 401s, e.g. a nice page on cleaning them here: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=159111 or Garrard 401 for beginners here: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=138836. This should reassure you that 'the knowledge' is out there if you need it.

Hi, I will be opening it up tomorrow. Will take pictures of the inside and then will take it from there. A little nervous

The pics and text in that link looks good. The idea of using a feeler guage to set the gap between the magnet and disc is good. You can get one cheaply from any auto parts shop. I understand your nervousness, but if you work gently and don't force anything you should be fine.

Remember to take pictures of each stage of disassembly so you can see how to reverse the process.

What about the idea of removing the idler wheel and fitting the magnet. Is it possible?

I am ready for disassembly.

The wheel itself is enough to remove - you just take the top bracket off and it'll lift right out. I don't know if it'll give you enough room to work on the magnet, but it's easy enough to try.

Using a feeler gauge to set the magnet gap is unnecessary.

513b24c2bb36a0d23ec7c33e469e107d.png

Hi,

Just to confirm:

1. Should I unscrew A & B (Green)

2. Would C (Red) come remain intact, dont have to do anything with that

3. Detach D (Red) before pulling off the Idler Wheel bracket, and the other spring on the other side as well.

I think tomorrow morning I will try this approach first, and if this does not work then go all out.

Cheers,

abdraffay.

Yes, unscrew A and B. C will remain intact. D is attached to the arm of the idler, which isn't going to come off - you're just pulling the wheel.

When you put it back together, you'll need to snug up the screws, test that the top bracket is properly aligned by making sure the wheel spins freely, and then tighten them up.

In your opinion, leaving my nervous state out, is it a good idea to try this approach or not. Because if it is not possible to fix the magnet from here then I will be opening it up unnecessarily. But I suppose to take out the motor to reach the magnet shaft I would have to disengage the wheel in any case.

Another more important thing is where to fix the magnet. I noticed that the shaft is longer than the magnet. So is the magnet supposed to be flushed to the front? When I saw it first it was.

If taking it off gives you enough clearance then it's a good approach. If not, it's no big deal as the wheel is very easy to put back on - we're talking less than a couple minutes to take it off and put it back.

I found a not great photo of my last rebuild, and it looks like the magnet is flush with the front of the arm - see attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 2.46.07 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 2.46.07 PM.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 14
I looked carefully and I don't think it's going to make any difference if I take the wheel off so deciding against it. However, I tried again dry fitting and this time with a twist wire. Almost fixed it and the disk is spinning freely. See picture.

Attachments

• Sight_2015_08_02_104713_320.jpg
    Sight_2015_08_02_104713_320.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 11
Could this be because I adjusted the shaft screw to increase the height earlier. I was reading in the manual, it says if the speed cannot be adjusted by turning the little screw towards the right of the shaft then open the plinth and adjust the screw the one we did earlier. since it was not the issue with the screw rather a falling magnet so maybe because of that adjustment and now with the magnet in place the speed is off.
Not sure if I am making any sense :)

Back
Top Bottom