Shopping for a subwoofer

Meloski

I am currently looking into adding a subwoofer into my system. The bass from my Martin Logan Motion 40 speakers in my medium size room (16x14) is very good but I think adding a sub would richen the sound a bit, adding texture and depth. I wanted to know if anyone could offer any suggestions or comments about some of the subwoofers that they enjoy, while I research in finding the right sub for me. I would like to budget around $500.00 - $600.00

Cheers,

Last edited:
What differences should I expect from a enclosed vs. a open ported sub?

A vented sub will have a sharper low end cut off, depending on the model at hand and its amplifier. The sealed type have a much slower "decay" as it were but the cut off freq can be higher. Listen to both if you can. If you can find a good HSU sub (used) or an older Velodyn like a CT150 they sound pretty good.

Bad thing about Velodyn newer stuff is that the amp go south usually inside a couple of years-poor quality.
DC

HSU is a company that SPECIALIZES in subwoofers. It's all they make. JL Audio is another.

And there's always Velodyne. They've been making subs for decades.

SVS, Hsu, Rythmik, all good. I'll just add that I'm enjoying my Outlaw sub quite a bit.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

HSU is a company that SPECIALIZES in subwoofers. It's all they make. JL Audio is another.

And there's always Velodyne. They've been making subs for decades.

I'm confused, who makes their other dozens of model speakers (non-sub)? +1 on the Hsu or Dayton.

Id go DIY and get more for your money. It would be nice to know if you have a limit to the size of cabinet you could go with. For $600 I'd go with a pair of Dayton reference HF 12s or 15s in sealed cabinets. If you want to keep it closer to $500 then a pair of the Dayton 12" or 15" DVC series sub which do sound very good and give you huge bang for your buck. Those you could go sealed or ported, just depends how big of box you wanted. Pair either of those offerings with a now on clearance Crown XLS2500 and you be able to out preform any commercially made sub for the money.

I used to have a single Velodyne HGS-15 and while it sounded very good I was able to sell it for enough to pay for 4 18" SI drivers when they were on sell and a peavey IPR2 7500 which has enough power to power them all. I only needed to come up with extra money to pay for the cabinet building materials. No comparison, I'd never go back.

Dan

The 40's are great. Overall I think they deliver a pure sound. I've always been impressed with the high end replication. It took some time to dial in the placement in my room,but when I found it wow! The soundstage, separation and detail are all outstanding, with a well recorded album you can be placed right in the room (Folk Singer - Muddy Waters). Conversely if there a any flaws in the recording they won't go unnoticed. I regularly run Gold lion KT77s with BB and Telefunken NOS tubes in my amp, a very revealing tube combo. When I roll into some JT,s or Mullards the 40's are very responsive. Sensitivity at 92 db offer a lot of amplifier choices. My Jolida with 40 WPC drive these speakers perfectly. Highly recommended! P.S. I still haven't bought the sub.

Last edited:
I have JL Audio D110. It is an amazing sub in a small package. It mates wonderfully with my Harbeths. I paid $500 used (new they are $100)

Good luck on your search. Take your time. Unfortunately good subs are not cheap. Loud subs can be cheap, but good solid rueful bass is not easy to accomplish

Back
Top Bottom