Brillant character actors.

jhtstone

StarShine 10/23/2014
From Wikipedia...

"A character actor is a supporting actor skilled at playing unusual or strange or interesting or odd or eccentric characters, such that they are "almost unrecognizable from part to part, and yet play many, many roles convincingly and memorably."

I find those that can play different characters to this level to be some of the most talented, underrated actors/actresses in film. The stars get the limelight but the show would not succeed without the character actor.

Here are two...

Nick Cassavetes - Known as Dietrich Hassler (Face/Off), Lyle Pike (Blind Fury), Packard Walsh (The Wraith), etc.

Always a fun, entertaining performance.

Brad Dourif - Known as Grima Wormtougue (Lord Of The Rings), Billy Bibbit (One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest), Chucky (Child's Play), Dr. Amos 'Doc' Cochran (Deadwood) and many others.

This one, I think, has to be the most talented, underrated actor out there. Every role he plays is different and you don't even know that it is him until the credits role. He does it with such conviction to make you believe he is really the character and not an actor.

Who do you think is an underrated/overlooked actor/actress?

William H. Macy.

Gary Oldman is brilliant at disappearing into roles, but it's hard to say that he's "underrated."

Clint Howard, better known as Ron Howard's brother.
Guy's been in a ton of films, usually playing someone slightly odd or creepy.
This just to name one:
Balok_actual.jpg

A few from yesteryear- E.G. Marshall, John Fiedler, Warren Stevens, Martin Balsam, Robert Webber, Parley Baer, Jack Warden...

Clint Howard, better known as Ron Howard's brother.
Guy's been in a ton of films, usually playing someone slightly odd or creepy.
This just to name one:
Balok_actual.jpg

Know the face well, but had no idea he is Ron Howard's brother.

I love old Westerns and they seemed to attract some great character actors like Ben Johnson, Eli Wallach, Walter Brennan and Ward Bond.

Harvey Keitel.. always especially enjoy watching he's acting in various roles,my fave being Bad Lieutenant.

A few from yesteryear- E.G. Marshall, John Fiedler, Warren Stevens, Martin Balsam, Robert Webber, Parley Baer, Jack Warden...

Funny thing, I was watching 12 Angry Men again last night. Great picture.

Don't forget Willis "nothing's too good for the man who shot Liberty Valance" Bouchey.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom