TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Here is what I did with my 3116.

photo%2B3.JPG

photo%2B1.JPG

Pioneer car speakers with a 3116 powered by a 12 volt 5 Amp sealed battery.

Sweet!

It sounds nice, but it's certainly different from the Topping TP20 (TriPath TA2020) that I've been using for the last six months. I'll continue playing music on it, and see what I think.

I’ve had a SMSL SA–36A pro (TPA3118D2 chip) for about a fortnight now. Initial impressions were difficult to form because I had also just got a new pair of speakers, complicating the differences I was hearing. Compared to the Dayton DTA–100a amp (Tripath TK2050 chip) I had been using for the past few years (all the rage when I bought it, as well), I think it does sound better. More resolving. Better channel separation, and just … sharper on the edges.

However I admit when I first got the SA–36A pro, it took me some time to warm up to its signature, and I initially thought the DTA–100a still sounded better—sweeter and smoother. Just seems to reinforce the subjective nature of our perception of sound … our minds become very accustomed to gear, and new things sound foreign and not quite right. I’ve found it’s often initially difficult to make any conclusions between two components—even when one is decidedly better (as long as they’re both in the same realm, anyway)—until after spending quality time with the new component. Then switching back to the inferior one, you hear its flaws.

I would say the Dayton leans towards midbass embellishment, and treble de-emphasis, but is not an offensive-sounding amp at all. The SA–36A pro has very clean treble, but is tight throughout the spectrum. If the Tripath amp sounds like honey, the TI amp is like granulated sugar: both are sweet, but one has more flavor and the other is more crystalline. I generally prefer transparent components, so I prefer the TI amp. I think doing a good, objective test that I would put money behind, though, is impossible without the ability to instantly switch between amp sources and precisely match volume levels.

I thought I read early that the TPA3118D2 is essentially the same? I ask because a quick search shows a very affordable option along these lines, already assembled with power supply etc.... It's called the SMSL SA-36A Pro and albeit not DIY, at the prices its found, really hard to beat if it performs the same as the TPA3116

Has anyone else in this thread heard the SA–36A pro and another amp with a 311xD2 chip? Interested in how it compares. I’ll admit I find the world of difference some people claim between the different boards somewhat hard to imagine (label me a skeptic, non-believer, infidel—whatever), but at $37 for the chip, board, components, nice aluminum housing, binding posts, etc., I wonder what the actual profit margin is on this amp. I’m satisfied enough to probably not experiment further. I’d rather upgrade DAC, phono preamp, speakers/stands, etc., first. I was happy with my Tripath amp for the three-ish years I used it … at about half the price it’s hard to even imagine this amp is better, and has better build quality. Maybe I’ll see what’s out there three years from now…

The 3116's and 3110 sound so much better than my DTA-100 it's become an unfair comparison. I need to sell it along with the Topping as I doubt I'll ever play either again.

Do you know if other chinese manufacturers like Topping would jump on the 3116 chip?
I have a Topping TA2020 and it's great..

Last edited:
SCYTHE - new star on a horizon?

The 3116's and 3110 sound so much better than my DTA-100 it's become an unfair comparison. I need to sell it along with the Topping as I doubt I'll ever play either again.

Same here. Before this TPA mania I thought that my SMSL TA2024 + USB Dac is simply good enough for my (summer time) needs. Now, I'm beginning to think how to sell not only this one, but all of my tube amps/preamps. :scratch2: :D

btw. I came across these crazy little beauties from Japanese producer of mostly PC stuff - Scythe
They rely on the new MAXIM Max 98400A chip and YAMAHA YDA138 chip. The bigger and stronger one is already sold by distributor in Croatia, and this trademark is very popular in Europe, don't know about the rest of the world.
I think this model is astonishing! Some reviews confirm good performance and excellent sound. :cool:

Front-Green_01.jpg

14970989412_7c9d837530_c.jpg

Rear_01.jpg

@deadbone:
I've had a lot more time to listen to the Black/Blue YJ board now, and it truly deserves to be my main amp. Perhaps the main difference between the TPA3116 and the TA2020 is how much better the TPA performs at lower volumes. I find that the Topping needs to be at a certain volume level to do what it does best.

Also, lower midrange and the midrange from the TPA is much richer. It does that with a similar soundstage and clarity as the TA2020. In my opinion the TPA has all the good qualities that the TriPath exhibits, with just more quality added.

Do you know if other chinese manufacturers like Topping would jump on the 3116 chip?
I have a Topping TA2020 and it's great..

I hope so and expect that to happen with the popularity of the TPA3116 chip. I've got the YJ red TPA3116 board in a home made enclosure and love it and would jump on a nice finished amp from Topping or Sure. In fact, I e-mailed Sure today to find out if they plan to introduce a finished TPA3116 amp. I'm waiting on a reply.

I hope so and expect that to happen with the popularity of the TPA3116 chip. I've got the YJ red TPA3116 board in a home made enclosure and love it and would jump on a nice finished amp from Topping or Sure. In fact, I e-mailed Sure today to find out if they plan to introduce a finished TPA3116 amp. I'm waiting on a reply.

YuanJing and SMSL are making finished amps. SMSL has the sa-36a pro, which uses TPA3118.

It is a bit frustrating, but on the positive side they sound great, and feature much better construction quality than the other boards. This is just a cosmetic issue, not a functional one.

I don't doubt that they sound good... and the quality of construction is nice. It's just when I read about a new TPA 3116 that is supposedly "better" than the others, and then read that the folks recommending it may all have their speaker wire polarity connected out of phase, I have to ask myself WTF. It's the same argument I use with DIYers... you have to A/B everything in the same setup (before and after mods) before you know you have an improvement. Several times. Which is impossible for most mods.

That's only a ~65W supply. You might try something a little bigger, like one of the 90W supplies (19V, 4.74A; 19.5V, 4.6A; etc.) to see if that gives you a little more bass.

I know it's been 4.5 months since you suggested a 90W supply (19V, 4.74A), but I finally got around to getting one. The bass isn't any heavier than before; but it is certainly a lot cleaner and detailed, as is the overall sound - no placebo effect here, folks. It's amazing what a difference a $10.00 change can make - a nice change while I wait for the arrival of my Audiobah Green Board, and wait, and wait, and wait...

I know all about those two amps, but for various reasons, neither of those are what I'm after.

The YJ complete amp is certainly priced higher, and the black/blue board has been discussed in great detail on this forum.

I would be interested in hearing more about the SMSL. Is it because the TPA3118 has the heatsink pad on the PCB side? Otherwise, it would seem to be similar to what you could expect from Sure and Topping if they decided to make a TPA3116 amp. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be many first-hand reports on the SMSL and I'm not at all sure about why it may be inferior.

I don't doubt that they sound good... and the quality of construction is nice. It's just when I read about a new TPA 3116 that is supposedly "better" than the others, and then read that the folks recommending it may all have their speaker wire polarity connected out of phase, I have to ask myself WTF. It's the same argument I use with DIYers... you have to A/B everything in the same setup (before and after mods) before you know you have an improvement. Several times. Which is impossible for most mods.

I think it's easy to become an addict of these little boards, and that obsession also could lead to a total madness at the end :D
So far I have or ordered five different 3116 boards + one 3110. But only one - YJ black - is in its house, modified and performs as no other amp I had or have at the moment. What I've learned from others and from this board so far that a slight modification (inductors and DC power caps) are quite enough - well, for my needs and 8 Ohm speakers.
That's why have ordered few others that are more or less already configured by default to push 8 Ohm spk. and hardly need any mod. That goes for Audiobah's board, the blue TPA3116D2+PT2313, the red one from YJ, and that's it for me.
Now is more important to find appropriate box/chassis for each of those, and good PSU. Do I need all of them? - certainly not, but it's fun to have few of these for a price of few records, and what is most important - one diy 3116 is capable to blows away many of those fancy expensive hi-fi gears! ;)

On Monday I received the replacement 3116 board from Sure. They sent it UPS--couldn't have been cheap! So this one works, and sounds fantastic. I give them major props for their customer service. Now my hardest decision is whether my next board will be another 3116, or the 3110? Actually, since the Sure 3116 board sounds so good, is there any reason to buy the 3110, unless you want to save, what, 10 bucks? All good. :D

I couldn't resist any longer! I placed an order for a Sure board today. Looks like a fun cigar box project. :yes:

I'd been saving this one for an Icepower build but maybe it will get a 3116 instead:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Dyno.jpg
    Dyno.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 278
I think it's easy to become an addict of these little boards, and that obsession also could lead to a total madness at the end :D
So far I have or ordered five different 3116 boards + one 3110. But only one - YJ black - is in its house, modified and performs as no other amp I had or have at the moment. What I've learned from others and from this board so far that a slight modification (inductors and DC power caps) are quite enough - well, for my needs and 8 Ohm speakers.
That's why have ordered few others that are more or less already configured by default to push 8 Ohm spk. and hardly need any mod. That goes for Audiobah's board, the blue TPA3116D2+PT2313, the red one from YJ, and that's it for me.
Now is more important to find appropriate box/chassis for each of those, and good PSU. Do I need all of them? - certainly not, but it's fun to have few of these for a price of few records, and what is most important - one diy 3116 is capable to blows away many of those fancy expensive hi-fi gears! ;)

How has that remote control and display worked out for you?

Question to the gang: when I touch the ALPS volume knob of my black/blue 3116 build to change volume, I sometimes get a (very tiny) buzz through the speakers. Would that indicate an improper INPUT grounding issue? I used one of the tiny boards to solder the ALPS pot, then cut in the wires from the RCA jacks, soldering the shield wires to each ground point and the center to in/out L/R. Anyone else have that issue? I had to add the pot to solve that board's power on POP.

How has that remote control and display worked out for you?

That one is still on the road, and I'm not expecting to get it before mid September.
But I'll hopefully write my impressions as soon as possible ;)

btw. someone mentioned on the other place before that this board is quite good performer!

Back
Top Bottom