Pioneer SX-636 Phono Buzz?

swittla

Hey Guys, I've been scouring these forums quite a bit trying to decide what kind of gear I wanted to buy with my limited budget, and its been a huge help. I recently picked up a Pioneer SX-636. It is in absolute MINT condition cosmetically and it sounds pretty damn fantastic as well. However, my phono channel is emitting a buzz/hum sound that while not terribly loud, is pretty annoying. It is also dependent on the volume knob and it seems to be quite a bit louder in the right channel than the left as well. Apologies if this issue has been covered at length elsewhere, but I have done quite a bit of searching and have not found anything specific to this problem with my receiver. I'm pretty new to all this so any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advance.

Are you saying you're getting a hum with no turntable connected? On the other hand, if you have a turntable connected, is the ground wire on the turntable connected to the receiver?

Either that or check to see that your headshell wires are fit snugly on to your cartridge, sounds like a grounding issue

Do you have a turntable connected? If so I know this might sound basic but check the turntable ground wire for a proper connection. If not like Panamafred said check the cartridge wires.

I have a U turn Orbit...so no ground wire there.
cart wiring is good...the thing is obviously new, but i double checked anyway.

So here's the deal, to isolate the amp, I plugged my TT into my old Lepai/Preamp combo, same EXACT hum.

I decided to plug my cellphone into my phono input (i know its dangerous to plug it into your computer but i figured the phone on low volume wouldn't hurt) and there's no hum....I've tried basically every combination of cables I have, used two different amps and music from multiple sources and the only time It hums is when my turntable is in the loop. Gotta be the Orbit eh? It's supposed to be internally grounded but maybe mine is bunk?

check the ac power plug orientations.

TT with no ground? Unh Unh... Check closer for ground.

You see, there is signal reference ground for each channel, then there is SHIELDING. As well as the aforementioned AC power considerations.

Back
Top Bottom