Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Found some interesting vinyl in my garage sale find.

Stevie wonder - songs in the key of life near mint with lyric book and 7" bonus lp
Drumdrop series volumes 2,3,4 and 5.
Dire straits - brothers in arms
About a dozen original pressings of various broadway musicals (Annie get your gun,king and I,sound of music,dames at sea etc.)
Sade - promise
2 copies of first pressing of grad funk railroad American band,both on yellow vinyl. One had the 4 stickers included.

I'm just getting started!

Nice. You have your eye in.

When you come across a junky old TD124 please toss it this way ;)

Found a couple more things today.:banana:

Sony TA 1010 Solid State Amp, working perfectly:thmbsp:

Linear Design ST 8000 Amp

View attachment 333493

View attachment 333494

View attachment 333495

View attachment 333496

I haven't found much information on the linear design other than it maybe a rebadged CEC Japan.
It has a few nice features 2 phono and 2 aux inputs and tuner input, bass and treble for left and right.

It also has some issues which I haven't determined the extent of yet.

Last edited:
Akai M-8 @ the GW today, $10. Appears to be working fine, just need to find a tape (passed up several Rat Shack 7" tapes just last week). :sigh:

P3021218.JPG

I love the looks of this. It has a military look to it.

While it's nothing mind blowing, I always seem to come home with a stack of used CDs from second hand stores. Yesterday, I came home with about 20 cassette tapes, all TDK SA and Maxell XLII in good shape, with their cases and sleeve inserts. They've been recorded on, but they're prime to wipe and use as blanks for my Nakamichi RX-505!

While it's nothing mind blowing, I always seem to come home with a stack of used CDs from second hand stores. Yesterday, I came home with about 20 cassette tapes, all TDK SA and Maxell XLII in good shape, with their cases and sleeve inserts. They've been recorded on, but they're prime to wipe and use as blanks for my Nakamichi RX-505!

Nice catch :thmbsp: CDs+ tapes seem to be the catch of the day now as record bins don't change out that much where I'm at.

Nice catch :thmbsp: CDs+ tapes seem to be the catch of the day now as record bins don't change out that much where I'm at.

Ditto . Since hooking up my tape deck I've been scoring some nice stuff on cassette . Two were Maxell XLII that had no labels , one had some of Michael Jacksons demos for the Thriller album !

I love the looks of this. It has a military look to it.

Glad someone likes its looks. I was thinking it's probably the fugliest thing I've ever dragged home. The amps in DIY walnut or oak cabinets do have a certain appeal, though. :scratch2:

yeah, I do find albums as well, time to time, but more often than not, they are either beat to snot by the time I find them, or they are material I have no interest in owning when I search through the LP bins. Usually the former, with the covers torn apart or completely missing, and the LPs looking like Sir-Mixalot just got done with them.

Poking around the SA yesterday, I found a copy of Herb Alpert's "Whipped Cream and Other Delights". It still had the original plastic on it and looks like it may have never been played.

Poking around the SA yesterday, I found a copy of Herb Alpert's "Whipped Cream and Other Delights". It still had the original plastic on it and looks like it may have never been played.

Herb Alpert is standard issue in every GW record bin .

Akai M-8 @ the GW today, $10. Appears to be working fine, just need to find a tape (passed up several Rat Shack 7" tapes just last week). :sigh:

P3021218.JPG

Fab! It's a knock-off of the standard stereo portable Ampex deck of the period with Keith Johnson's patented crossfield head arrangement to extend linear HF recording range. Tandberg also used it in their 62X 2-track and 64X 4-track decks.
We had some problems with the crapalloy function cams in the Roberts/Akai decks deteriorotting to uselessness. If they work feel lucky and plan on recapping the amps at least as well as a total clean and lube. Find the manuals.
Do NOT scrap this deck for the amps if workable, it has potential as a nice single-motor tape deck. Plenty of console amps still to be had.

I found this Fender Squier Affinity Strat this past week and it's virtually new! Not a scratch on the front or back and the neck is straight as can be. It must have been professionally set-up, the action is set nice & low and the electronics work great with no noise of any sort. I just need to restring her. It was laying on a shelving unit about six feet up above all the BPS I was inspecting. I paid a whopping $22.

Squire4.jpg

Squire3.jpg

Squire1.jpg

Attachments

• Squire 2.jpg
    Squire 2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Squire 5.jpg
    Squire 5.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 10

Not a best find...I could probably find a box of sealed copies at a thrift.

I picked up this Pioneer SX-535 from a local thrift shop. The guy had it listed for $79.99cnd, however after talking to him I found out that the left channel was dead. I managed to get him down to $40cnd taxes in. I brought it home and popped off the protection fuse cover...it was just a dead fuse keeping the left channel from working. There were also 5 dead lamps (tuning pointer, stereo light, the furthest left and furthest right of the tuning dial and one of the tuning meters.) I managed to replace all of them, however the stereo lamp bulb is a just a touch to large for the housing so I've disconnected it until I find a proper bulb.

This is my first vintage receiver that I've ever owned and worked on. I'm very pleased with the results of this. I'm also incredibly impressed with the sound quality considering its only 22wpc.

i5aSE.jpg

im looking for a little info,i picked up a vintage set of speakerbab 4's and buddy thru out the woofers when the foams rotted out and replaced with a generic pyramis 500 watt woofer.they sound very good in present form but id like to go ack to the original woofers.any info regarding the originals and availability would be appreciated thanks

I picked up this Pioneer SX-535 from a local thrift shop. The guy had it listed for $79.99cnd, however after talking to him I found out that the left channel was dead. I managed to get him down to $40cnd taxes in. I brought it home and popped off the protection fuse cover...it was just a dead fuse keeping the left channel from working. There were also 5 dead lamps (tuning pointer, stereo light, the furthest left and furthest right of the tuning dial and one of the tuning meters.) I managed to replace all of them, however the stereo lamp bulb is a just a touch to large for the housing so I've disconnected it until I find a proper bulb.

This is my first vintage receiver that I've ever owned and worked on. I'm very pleased with the results of this. I'm also incredibly impressed with the sound quality considering its only 22wpc.

i5aSE.jpg

Nice work--it's gorgeous!

im looking for a little info,i picked up a vintage set of speakerbab 4's and buddy thru out the woofers when the foams rotted out and replaced with a generic pyramis 500 watt woofer.they sound very good in present form but id like to go ack to the original woofers.any info regarding the originals and availability would be appreciated thanks

Suggest you start a thread in the speaker forum for help on the identity and availability of the woofers you're looking for. Though an obvious move is to search ebay for "speakerlab 4 woofers."

Back
Top Bottom