Summer NE Frankenfest workshop thread

audiodon

Addicted Member
It's that time again.
Here are the workshop guidelines. I've shortened them, believe it or not.

Workshops typically run 45 minutes max or are ad-hoc as interest dictates (in the case of tube-testing workshops n'stuff).

Typically, they'd run at 2:00 and if there's a second one, that'd be at 3:00.
I've been finding that the traffic is earlier so, if we need to book more than two, the third one will be before 2:00.

Vinyl Workshop Series:
There's been a lot of interest in turntable stuff and here's a summary of the completed and proposed vinyl workshop series:

1. Turntable setup Done! Thanks John.
2. Turntable types: Done! Thanks Adam.
3. Record grading: Done! Thanks Stephanie and Tom.
4. Digitizing vinyl rips, cleaning up clicks and pops, file rendering for digital playback:
5. Turntable restoration - Oldsmobuick @sweatfest 2015??

Workshops require three things:
1. Enough people have to be interested in a workshop to request and then attend it.
2. Someone has to agree to deliver the workshop.
3. Space has to be made available and planning needs to be completed.

These are fun informal clinics on subjects of audio interest by and for enthusiasts.

If you have a suggestion for a workshop, please post it in this thread.
If you have knowledge and are willing to perform a workshop, please post it in this thread and I will contact you to coordinate time and location and drum up interest.
If you have knowledge but are not experienced in delivering a workshop or are curious about how this works and would like assistance with planning and delivery, please let me know.

This post is a wish list of all suggested workshops from past fests that haven't been run.
These are for future reference:

1. Headphone Rig Showcase
2. DAC shootout - Needs a redo in light of DSD DACs.
3. Nelson Pass gear listening.

Any workshops that don't happen but have more than one inquiry and I've remembered it will also be listed here.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Let the fun begin.

Wiktor amps is stepping in for Al Wise in the tube testing department, at least for the summer NE Frankenfest 2015.

Hi all, I'm looking to gauge interest:

I just completed a full restoration on an AR XA table which I did in sections this past winter/spring and along the way I have accumulated several spare tables. I won't have time to restore them all, so I thought maybe a FrankenFest XA Clinic would be a fun thing to do, not only to share tips on my own restoration but to offer these tables (on BT) for clinic participants at a reasonable cost.

Others could bring either examples of your own resto, or tables that you'd like to restore. I have, I think, three "complete" tables to provide to people and with the lead time the buyers could obtain belts and headshells (which are needed).

Those of us with restored tables could provide source components for reference systems in the upstairs room to make it a symbiotic relationship with respect to room-sharing.

I think we could all learn a lot and have fun too. Some topics that come to mind (not all can be covered of course):

Tonearm rewire (I'll provide the wire);
RCA jack install (I can provide the jacks and drill hardware)
Spring suspension tuning (a topic of endless theory- I don't claim to know it all)
Cleaning & lubrication (I can provide my preferred oil)
Cartridge selection
Cable capacitance (I can bring a pF meter)
Setting anti-skate with the tonearm wire (I can provide a test disc with blank band)

Anyone with spare parts could probably find interested parties at such an event also. Feel free to throw out any other enhancements to this idea!

I don't own an AR turntable anymore, but when I did here's what I used for lube - as you can see, I didn't use much.
Even if there is limited interest in restoring AR TT's I'm sure others would like to see what's involved.
a6ed6a04526f68569e13a7e0ee6f9b82.jpg

That's cool- thanks Jim! Still waiting to see if there's interest in this workshop. Whoever would like to attend please chime in here so I know whether we should do this or leave the slot for something more popular.

That's cool- thanks Jim! Still waiting to see if there's interest in this workshop. Whoever would like to attend please chime in here so I know whether we should do this or leave the slot for something more popular.
This is very nice of you to offer. I have an XB I'd like to bring. My work on it so far has been a cleanup of the bearing with new oil, and a new belt. There was also the matter of removing the remnants of the mat, which had dissolved and dried onto the platter into a mess worthy of a melted down sci-fi creature.

The matter of adjusting springs etc. is mystery, so count me in! Any updates would be great. I have been in awe of the apparent simplicity of this table and the way it sounds, even in its current form.

I have both an XA and an XB that are resting comfortably on shelves and should go into service somewhere soon. I'd be interested in this clinic and MIGHT move one of the TTs along to an attendee. If so, I'll post it on the Barter Town thread.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys- that's two votes for this clinic! A few more and we're probably golden. Also very cool about another potential AR table to be made available. :music:

What the heck, I'll sign up for the AR clinic too, even though i don't have an AR table, not plan to get one.:D

Right when I need it, you guys have all the fun in East coast... Why not one here in SF bay area.. I guess there are enough of us...

I'll bring the three AR XA tables I have that are ready to be restored so that anyone in the turntable workshop can take one home at a reasonable price. Feel free to bring one in (or a different table even) to take part, or just sit in for the info! I'll bring my fully restored XA in along with a Magnavox 8802 tube console amp I just restored and a PAS 3 tube pre that I rebuilt in case anyone is interested in checking those out.

Tune up clinic

Vic - aka Wiktor Amps is going to set up a service space where he will perform simple repairs and tune ups for folks.

So, if you have something that would benefit from some tweaking or basic exmaination now is your chance.

My understanding is that he'll be charging a flat fee for this service.

Last edited:
I'll have a basic bench setup with a scope, signal generator, some load resistors, and a variac. I'll be charging a $40 flat rate that will cover cleaning and calibrating, as well as answering any other condition/ operation questions you may have. Due to the lack of having my complete shop with me, I wont be able to perform any serious repairs, so if your unit has 'given up the smoke,' chances are I won't be able to fix it. If you have a unit that turns on but drops channels intermittently or has other wacky issues but overall does somewhat work, theres a good chance I'll be able to get it up and running. Things like DC offset and bias drift with age as well so if you've got an all original never been opened unit, it may be worth your while to get it checked before something smokes.

I'm looking for someone to take over the workshops. Let's discuss Saturday. This seems like the right moment.

I'm planning on attending as well....I'm planning on bringing one or both of my tables. What time is it? 2?

A start time hasn't been set by the presenter but customarily we start these at 2PM - so you should be there by then.

Back
Top Bottom