Tall guys - What do you drive?

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just as it ain't easy being green, it ain't easy being tall when looking at cars. I'm 6'4 and about 240 lbs. I'm also broad in the shoulders. Finding a car that I can comfortably fit in is NOT easy. The dearth of 2 doors makes it even worse. Often in a 4 door, I get enough legroom, but I find the shoulder room horribly tight, as I get pinched in by the B pillar. Ford is horrible in this regard. I was even in a Cadillac DTS recently, and that was an issue also.

So tall, and/or big guys, what do you drive?

6'0 here with a large frame, I drive a 2003 PT Cruiser and I fit pretty good.

A co-worker who is 6'7 drives a BMW X7, prior he used to have a Nissan Altima where the seat would go back far enough for him to fit (no room for a passenger in the back though)

My daily driver is a '09 Chev Impala. I'm 6'2" and 260. Has decent room for me. If your extra 2 inches is largely upper body then I think it could go either way for you. The B pillar starts to curve more inward a few inches above my shoulder height.

My daily driver is a '09 Chev Impala. I'm 6'2" and 260. Has decent room for me. If your extra 2 inches is largely upper body then I think it could go either way for you. The B pillar starts to curve more inward a few inches above my shoulder height.

Interestingly I was talking to an old, experienced car sales guy, and he said that the Impala is usually the go to car for tall guys. Wouldn't have imagined that.

Im just under 6.3 at 195.i was looking at newer pony cars.the camaro was silly, painfull with multiple blind spots.guess what I drive?.lots of leg and headroom.my skinny kids can squeeze in the back.its a fun car, and daily driver-2012 Boss Mustang.the stock s ound system is okay.

Oddly, I had no issue at all with the Camaro, and found the interior to be more comfortable, and of better quality, then the Mustang.

The best of the lot, by far, was the Challenger. HUGE inside.

I was going to recommend challenger or charger. We had a magnum and it was gargantuan inside. I'm about your height and I could slide the seat far enough back where I was too far from the wheel.

I was going to recommend challenger or charger. We had a magnum and it was gargantuan inside. I'm about your height and I could slide the seat far enough back where I was too far from the wheel.

And here I was expecting you to recommend a Nissan 240SX... :)

My 300C was very comfortable. Lots of room inside those. The first gen 300/Charger/Magnum seemed to be the official car of tall guys. I saw more guys much taller than I, driving those more then anything else.

Sadly, when they did the update to them in 2011, they hung a box under the dash, just over the pedals, that made it nigh onto impossible to drive with my size 13 shoes. My foot would get caught underneath when going from gas to brake. Big bummer, as I really liked them otherwise.

6' 3" ~280#. I stick to SUVs. Currently rolling an '06 Jeep Commander. First car I ever bought new off the lot (and might be the last)! Been thinking about an upgrade lately and I really like the 2012 Audi Q5s w/ the turbo diesel.

And here I was expecting you to recommend a Nissan 240SX... :)

My 300C was very comfortable. Lots of room inside those. The first gen 300/Charger/Magnum seemed to be the official car of tall guys. I saw more guys much taller than I, driving those more then anything else.

Sadly, when they did the update to them in 2011, they hung a box under the dash, just over the pedals, that made it nigh onto impossible to drive with my size 13 shoes. My foot would get caught underneath when going from gas to brake. Big bummer, as I really liked them otherwise.

No way! That sucks man. Those first gen cars were enormous inside.

240sx would be my LAST recommendation :) unless you don't mind your head touching the sunroof.

6' 3" ~280#. I stick to SUVs. Currently rolling an '06 Jeep Commander. First car I ever bought new off the lot (and might be the last)! Been thinking about an upgrade lately and I really like the 2012 Audi Q5s w/ the turbo diesel.

I keep getting truck recommendations over the years, but I'm just not a truck kinda guy. If I could find one that rode and handled like a good car, I'd be all over it, but it hasn't happened for me yet.

That would be the El Camino. Unfortunately they're fairly tiny inside, so you probably would not enjoy the experience. They're virtually useless as a truck too. Its even lighter duty than an S10 suspension. They also haven't made one since 1987 I think.

A friend is close to your size and drive a Ford Fiesta. At 6', I could not tolerate it. It's the sideways knee room that is most annoying. I like to be able to bend my leg to the side.

I drive a '98 Marquis. Even around here there are plenty of them on the road but they are rw drive. The wife has a 2009 Impala, which was the smallest I could tolerate. We tried one step down but decided against it.

If the commutes were longer, it might have been different.

That would be the El Camino. Unfortunately they're fairly tiny inside, so you probably would not enjoy the experience. They're virtually useless as a truck too. Its even lighter duty than an S10 suspension. They also haven't made one since 1987 I think.

LOL. Yeah, I really never got those. They always seemed to me the worst combination of car and truck. But they sure had their fans.

Are you kidding? My car comes with the Recaros, possibly the most comfortable seats available.it also depends on what model mustang or camaro.i have always been, and raced chevys, but that camaro is just not right. I agree the challenger is the best interior.also the most expensive, the slowest(excluding the Hellcat)and by far the porkiest, with 2 adults you are looking at 4600 plus pounds!the mustang is the most comfortable and fun car.just look at all the reviews.alot on chevy converts like me prefer the Mustang.my buddy is 6.5.once in he says it fits like a glove.

Lets not get into a Mustang vs Camaro debate. Religious discussions aren't allowed on AK after all. :)

Nor will I mention the fact that, as of the last time I checked at least, the Camaro outsold the Mustang every year since the Camaro was reintroduced. :D

Back
Top Bottom