Just picked pair SM 155 for a song and dance...

Hey BH...I had a pair of SM150's and I'm no speaker cona-sewer, but I thought they were pretty decent speakers. I even threw some new caps and bracing and stuffing in them, which made them go a little harsher, but still sounded good to me. They would really put out when throwing 160 wpc at them!

P.S. Notice I don't have them anymore though? Was trying to go up the Infinity food chain some, but got distracted.

Last edited:
Hey BH...I had a pair of SM150's and I'm no speaker cona-sewer, but I thought they were pretty decent speakers. I even threw some new caps and bracing and stuffing in them, which made them go a little harsher, but still sounded good to me. They would really put out when throwing 160 wpc at them!

P.S. Notice I don't have them anymore though? Was trying to go up the Infinity food chain some, but got distracted.

Well I only owned them for a couple of weeks... I have some Technics SB G500s that I like far better for a "move some big air at high volume" speaker... I have some 200wpc mono blocks that are my "rock-n-roll" amps and I thought the mids and highs were much clearer with the cheapo Technics...
I am actually an Infinity fan though, I have others that I like.

As mentioned, it was Infinity's attempt to get into Cerwin Vega's pockets. I guess you could call them a "sophisticated Cerwin", but that's like a tasty light beer.

The shortfalls are many, tradeoffs for the end result. The boxes are cheap, the drivers not designed for sound, rather efficiency, and the foam was pretty low grade. A lot of sound for the money, just not all that good. They were what they were. Would be interesting to hear a restored pair on some single ended tubes though.

In the end, the voicing was far better than the Cerwins or the DCMs that came later to that market, but over time Infinity lost interest in the category. The big loud speaker market has shrunk since the 70s.

Back
Top Bottom