Kappa6.1 refoam and info

You can hook up your receiver directly to the single woofer no problem, just double check the resistance of the woofer make sure your receiver is rated for it. I think it's above 4 ohm so most receivers would be fine running just the single kappa 6.1 woofer.

Here is the testone generator I use, it creates a wav and whole bunch of other options.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wavb/

Also if you can get some solvent between the ring and the woofer frame it could help remove it. Some acetone or isopropyl would dissolve the glue I think, just don't get it on the cone. Maybe coat the blade with some?

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with Bill Very nice guy . I mentioned ak and he said hes never visited but gets mentions of it almost every day
Charges 70 + shipping ..
He explained the vc design in the img is not susceptible to damage from shifting in transit w no suuround support ..
Since I already ordered surrounds Im going to proceed slowly w great caution ..

Had I known how much difficulty I would have in just seperating face plate I would have sent them out and Paid The Man . Ive been struggling with one for 2 hours and still cant get it off . The outside edge obviously glued and no way to get to it with tool . No way im using solvent ... Brilliant of me to order surronds before I got parts seperated .. Now Im considering sending them to Bill and see about refend return for ones I ordered .. Whew this is way more effort than anticipated .. the rest is not daunting . This thing glued together is a whole other animal .

Hm weird I didn't have much of a problem removing them from mine after cutting through the glue...Maybe I underestimate the effort it takes? I'm kind of used to this.

Yes Understood Im amazed that this is the road block .
( Never saw it coming )
Most important factor as I sit here after 2 hrs of great frustration and no release ,, is that I have yet to do any damage .
( But " It Is Still Not Too Late " ) ( To F Them The F UP )
I can still F them up by proceding further so I am now DONE . I am going to have to send them out . Just a matter of exactly what to do . Not sure If I can send the surrounds ( when they arrive ) in box to bill and get credit or just return to SS .. Same price for SS or Bill and I favor Bill .
CRAP !!! (( BUT )) No Harm Done YET ,, they are still alive and I have "issues" that cause me to become very agitated under stress so Im going to accept defeat and cut my losses .. Just pay the piper and look forward to getting back to the sweet spot .. I Miss Them !!
( They are getting concerned seeing me struggle with thier IMGs )
I have to calm THEM down now ..
" Youre Still OK !! Its Going to be fine , Dr Bill will make it OK .. "
" Good Girls "

sorry man but i have to say this has been quite the drama...

suck it up and send them off....I'm good at DYI'ing but I send mine out...Bill did my woofers on my IIIa's

Thank You BK .. That is as good a recomendation as I can get .. You do diy but dont mess w refoam ..Send To Bill . They are DEFINATELY going to Bill .
Yes indeed ..Im emotionaly exhausted from it
I had just read another long and arduous refoam thread where MECH and many others helped to work through a Refoam Panic Attack .
And had ((((( The FEAR ))))) before I broke ground .. I rode quite an emotional roler coaster .. Sorry I made you guys dizzy with my :
" Im Doin It " - " Im Not Doin It " - " Im Doin It " - " Im Not Doin It "
Funny how often I run into folks here from a place I have lived ..
( I grew Up in Westchester and went to White Plains High )

Ha, didn't mean to break your balls, just my experience...

I'm a transplant (wife is from here) I'm from waaaay upstate...

Those are nice speakers and wouldn't want to hear you got pissed and sledgehammered them into a million pieces...

Now that I think back it was a pain removing those rings. After cutting it I really had to pull and find a spot where it was giving, and keep cutting. It eventually came off when I was pulling, it could have snapped while I was doing it. It felt that way for a second when it finally gave way. It seems best that you send it off if you worry about those rings. I half way gave up caring about them since they're just plastic gaskets. I have yet to glue them back worrying they might vibrate. Mine are still perfect but it was for sure a big struggle to pull them off.

Seems it's best for you to send em off, it's probably worth doing right anyways if you're worried about cost. Maybe you can send your mids for a rebuild while you're at it if you can't clean the inside?

Thanks . I could feel that by proceeding they might well crack under the pressure . but I ended up cracking first . Had I broken them dont know if they are replacable . never seen part on ebay so project is canned .
Packing and shipping to Bill . I was very releaved when he explained that other speakers without surround support can be damaged in transit but the vc design in these is ok to ship this way .. Im not removing mids .. Im just sending the woofers out and looking foreward to getting my kappas back up and singing again .
Thanks All

Thanks stimpywan for the link to miller sound !
That page has a link to Article from the Philadelphia Enquiring about Bill Lagal Highly recommended .. Its a great read ..

Thanks stimpywan for the link to miller sound !
That page has a link to Article from the Philadelphia Enquiring about Bill Lagal Highly recommended .. Its a great read ..

My pleasure! It's what we're here for; to help each other out! :yes::D

Plus, I'm glad that you're having Bill do your woofers. Smart move.

While I refoamed the woofers and lower mids, in my Acoustic Research AR-90's,
I know those 6.1 woofers are tough to do. I own about 4 pairs of those 8" woofers,
and have't been able to pop the trim rings off of some of my woofers either! No rush,
since they're for a DIY project. But, why did Infinity make the rings so tough to remove?
They're just for looks!

Discretion is the better part of valor. When you realize this isn't quite working out, the money is better spent sending it out to a pro where they do this all the time.

Your time, sanity, and confidence are all important, and I think you've made a wise choice, all things considered. Sit back, play some tunes on spare speakers if you have them, and anticipate when they return.

Did bill give you a rough turnaround time?

Thank You Mech !!
Listen To This !!! I sent Bill an email to ask if I could include the surrounds I purchased from SS ( due to arrive any day ) in the box ( at some credit for part ) Or whether Id have to return for refund to SS . I just received his response and I AM AMAZED . I included a photo of woofers in current state . He had said the refoam for pair would be 70.00 + return shipping ) I had to do a double take when I read his email . He said YES , include surrounds in box .. He Is Going To Do Both for .... wait for it ..
20.00 + 15.00 shipping !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When I saw the article about him in that Phil Enq piece I saw
((((((((((( HIS SPEAKERS ! ))))))))))))
I am change going tjust Drive them from NH to PA !!
( And have a liitle sit down in front of his IRS ((( LOL )))
He Is One Heck Of A MAN !

Oh by the way when i get my seond pair ( total cost $400 ) Im going to " Make " a pair of these in thumb nail .. only "downfall" could be .. they might be abit ... "Tippy"

Attachments

• kappa stack.jpg
    kappa stack.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 25
LOL ..I was ( I HOPE you know ), just kidding . But w the passions of many around here it would not surprise me if someone actually did that !
But my drivers will be breathing some very rarified air ! who knows , they may catch a glimpse of thier great grand pappy (((( IRS ))))

Last edited:
Thank You Mech !!
Listen To This !!! I sent Bill an email to ask if I could include the surrounds I purchased from SS ( due to arrive any day ) in the box ( at some credit for part ) Or whether Id have to return for refund to SS . I just received his response and I AM AMAZED . I included a photo of woofers in current state . He had said the refoam for pair would be 70.00 + return shipping ) I had to do a double take when I read his email . He said YES , include surrounds in box .. He Is Going To Do Both for .... wait for it ..
20.00 + 15.00 shipping !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When I saw the article about him in that Phil Enq piece I saw
((((((((((( HIS SPEAKERS ! ))))))))))))
I am change going tjust Drive them from NH to PA !!
( And have a liitle sit down in front of his IRS ((( LOL )))
He Is One Heck Of A MAN !

Millersound is local to me. You could not meet a nicer family of people. Bill and his wife are super cool laid back folks. One time going out the door he gave me a 30' spool of 12gage ar copper Speaker wire and another time a dvd of how some of the greatest album covers of all time came into being. When I asked him if he wanted it back he said "give it to someone else when you're done". Btw I'm not a regular there.
Jim

My drivers are on thier way . I know they will be in good hands .
Just want to share exactly what Bill said with reference to the faceplates of the k.1s : He said " The only way to get them off is with a HEAT GUN . " WITHOUT MELTING THE CONES " Had I known that little tidbit ( the one thing i didnt think of ) prior to even contemplating diy I would have sent them out .. After I started to hear the "Grrrrs " come out of my mouth i knew I was at impass . Cant wait to get them back up and running .. Im sitting here in the sweet spot .. all dressed up w no place to go !

Back
Top Bottom