Just picked pair SM 155 for a song and dance...

biscuithead

Me likes the eargasm retroplasm...
I haven't had a chance to hook these suckers up yet...
I have seen many conflicting opinions online...

Junk or treasure?

Their specs look impressive, and I will hook them up soon to a 100+wpc system, and I will make up my own mind... But I thought I would inquire with all of you fine folks first...

The worst speakers Infinity ever made - good for a party or garage but that is about it.

Don't be impressed with the specs - they are wooly, thumpy boxes. The woofer surrounds are probably degraded and the tweeters will also degrade since they are foam.

I'm glad they were just "thrown in" on a deal... when I first saw them, I remember thinking the cabinets are junk (construction wise) and I like to read my speakers by the cover...

I had a pair of SM152s. I used them with tubes and SS and they did sound better with tubes. Not great speakers but IMO not terrible speakers, I gave them to my daughter and her husband. A better box would improve them, but not sure it would be worth the effort.

Ed

If I can't dump these on CL, I might install them in my garage... hang them in the rafters or something...

If you will feed them with a lot of power make sure your garage is structurally solid.
They can be awfuly (pun intended) loud!

So much hatred.

I've used the SM-152's with tubes. They sounded really mellow, laid back and delicate. I added some box stuffing to the cabinets and I raised them a bit above the floor.
I've also used them with some good solid state with good results as well. I can't say that I "cranked them" though. Usually played at low to moderate volume.

IMHO they are not junk, and it would be speaker-snobbish to say so. There are many better infinities of course, but these need to be given some credit for their sensitivity, good looks, and personally I think the polycell tweeters are crisp and clear. When using a good quality amp & playing a good recording, you would be surprised at how nice they actually sound.

Listen to opinions as a guide, but don't let them influence your opinion when you have the chance to hear them first hand. Especially if you got them at a really good price. Have some fun with them before you move on! Could care less about all those SM series and CV haters....it's bad Karma.

The drivers seem to be fairly high quality. It would pretty easy to brace those boxes and stuff them a little more. Raising them up off the floor will tame the thumpy bass cheaply, too.

thumpy bass is definitely the main issue...the polycell isn't terrible but definitely the weakest tweeter infinity made...

Find a good quality recording of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eUNXqblOak

It's a great way to test those speakers out.

(Kito featuring Reija Lee, Sweet Talk)

I plugged the computer into my 2 200watt mono blocks and listened in the garage... I liked it ... thanks!

My biggest complaint about these speakers is the cabinet... very cheap construction... they sound alright for 90s sold at "Best Buy" speakers...

thumpy bass is definitely the main issue...the polycell isn't terrible but definitely the weakest tweeter infinity made...

One of the reasons they're so thumpy is they use little or no damping material inside in that series (that stuff is so damn expensive!). That's an easy enough fix.

Back
Top Bottom