Got an original modulus sub

jonemw

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Owned a very clean pair of Modulus Sats for a long time and used them with a smaller Infinity ssw-10 powered servo sub, in a small room. Found a mint condition original Modulus sub a few months back and was able to add it to the system. Small room but with Kenwood L-07 mono blocks at 150 per side and the sub's plate at 250, power is not an issue . Am really enjoying the Fully integrated Modulus experience . It was an extraordinary find to get a piano black sub without cosmetic issues and the custom cable and the electronic control box with manual in an original carton. The sub is large and weighs in at around 75 lbs, so shipping was scary, but the original box and packing worked perfectly. This is really a great way to get top level emit highs along with serious bottom. I can remember when the Modulus came out, and wondering what all the fuss was about, never thought I would own one someday.
now they are cheaper, but oh so hard to find in like new condition....happy happy.

Attachments

• IMG_8204.jpg
    IMG_8204.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8207.jpg
    IMG_8207.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8201.jpg
    IMG_8201.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 62
Very nice. I'm starting my Modulus setup in reverse. I have the xo/eq but no speakers or sub:( I hope to find a sub and run it with a pair of my Infinitesimals.
Jim

I've owned a Modulus setup since 1991 and it's the only gear that survived the great sell off when my bride passed in 2012, that's how great they are.

Looks like you own a second ECU, planning on a second subwoofer are we?

Wouldn't blame you, these are the best sub I've ever heard for music playback in the home no matter the price. As for how much it weighs, the owner's manual states 81lbs if I'm not mistaken.

Glad it got to you safely and working (if it was shipped). I bought one some time ago in mint condition etc... and UPS made sure it got demolished on the way to me. One of those times where the refund really did not match the rarity of the item.

I have the second ECu because I had a project sort of on the back shelf of using that with a non modulus servo sub (Infinity SSW-10 or similar) and integrating it that way. Even started making the cable long ago, but never finished. This new sub came with its own ECu so now I have a pair. A second sub would overwhelm the room methinks.
It was shipped to me(fedex) and arrived in perfect order. It is very true that after finding something so rare, then getting it trashed would be heartbreaking :pity:
I feel very lucky to have three piano black pieces that can pass appearance muster from 3 feet away and sound good too.

Very nice. Glad to see a complete Modulus setup.

Just a helpful hint, the satellites will image better if you can get them out from the back wall a ways and also away from those other speakers.

Another sub would be more better, in my opinion, as I have two Modulus subs running in stereo with my Modulus satellites.

Hey jonemw, congrats on completing the set, it looks great. Nice entire setup. What are the ESS-looking towers?

Last edited:
The tapedeck is a pioneer ctf 900 or something like that. Works well.
The Tower speeks are Ess Translinear units. Second down from top of line Transtatic. First real quality speaker I ever owned. Kef flat racetrack woof and Danish peerless mids and tweets in full real transmission line cabinet. Very heavy though. Always liked the ESS stuff- pre Heil tweeter. I worked in an audio store that sold this stuff and when the first Heil units came out we felt it was a step down... The translinear has outstanding bottom end and the first AMT1 was anything but good on the bottom ... We had some IMF in the store too in those days and the ESS top models acquitted themselves well. 40+ years old now.

Back
Top Bottom