New Onkyo receiver!

telemike

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-8160&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

80 W per Channel
Built-in Bluetooth & Wi-Fi®
Phono Input
Hi-Current Amp Design
Zone 2 For Distributed Audio
4 Quick-Access Presets
384 kHz/32-bit Hi-Grade DAC

8160-INTRO.jpg

TX-8160-features.png

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Looks promising. Essentially a pared down avr. All the modern features in a 2 channel design. Looks like you might have a new addition to your shopping list!

Looks like this replaces TX-8050 (look for clearance prices).

Competes with Yamaha R-N500, but this handles Hi Res DSD

This would be great for streaming lossless files off a NAS

Very nice looking unit. Can't wait to hear how it stacks up against the yamaha receivers out now. I'll admit I wish it had Audyssey built in.

I owned the TX-8050 for a little over 2 years when it stopped working.

It has a great amp section and sounded great. Unfortunately that was the last Onkyo I bought due to 3 failures just out of warranty.

Very frustrating as I like many of the products they put out. Especially the 2 channel gear.

I owned the TX-8050 for a little over 2 years when it stopped working.

It has a great amp section and sounded great. Unfortunately that was the last Onkyo I bought due to 3 failures just out of warranty.

Very frustrating as I like many of the products they put out. Especially the 2 channel gear.
You liked the amp section? I have an Integra DTM 5.3 receiver I am evaluating now.

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had a TX-8050 and returned it within a week. It got so hot it was like a toaster oven. Might have been a duff one but the Yamaha RN-500 I replaced it with never gets above warm no matter how many hours I use it. Hopefully they've fixed that with the new model, it had a bit more warmth to the sound than the Yamaha.

Hmm. I have an Onkyo Integra DTM 5.3 100wpc receiver and I did not notice heat issue yet. Sony STR-GX80ES was a hot mutha

From my understanding Onkyo amplifiers are biased higher and run hotter than others. They just need a little more breathing room.

If they could get there QC issues in check they would be on my list.

In 2012 I was beginning to get back into the hobby. Did my research and all that, and decided on an Onkyo AVR that had network capabilities. Within the first year, it kept on dropping channels, but the screen would show it was still running. For the life of me I cannot remember how many times this happened. Joined the Onkyo forum to see if I could find help. Nothing became of it and I gave up.

It is now sitting on a table downstairs not even being used. A sad reminder of what a top brand back in the 1970s has become a P.O.S. Due to the failure of this unit, I will no longer buy an Onkyo period, and possibly Pioneer since one bought the other one.

However, YMMV.

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/Aplus/assets/img/TX-8160-features.png[IMG]

Two 8,200 mf caps? I have a Yamaha integrated (model before the A-S500). 85 watts x 2 that has two 10,000 mf caps.

And, I believe the HK 3490 had at least 15,000mf if not 18,000 mf x 2 in it (that was 120 watts x 2). Of course Onkyo qualifies that with High Current caps, as if that means something?

Onkyo used to put out some Beefy receivers. Now only the higher end models have heft. I still run my TX-SR805 because no 800 series since has the same build quality.

Last edited:
I've been looking for reviews and not much out there. This is a new model that will obviously replace the TX-8050.
One thing I noticed on the new TX-8160 is the lack of pre-outs that the TX-8050 came with. But taking a closer look I do see "Line Out" on the new TX-8160.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't connecting an external amp to those "Line Out" jacks on the 8160 work the same way as the pre-out jacks on the 8050 and bypass the internal amps?

I'm assuming the line out is a fixed output level for recording. The Zone2 could be used for a separate amp

Back
Top Bottom