Combining tubes with digital

jusmee

I have, for years, had an all-tube system. Recently however, I decided to try something much more modern, and purchased a small digital amp based on the Tripath 2050 chipset.

I am still using my tube phono and line preamps in front of this amp, and it is playing into the nice efficient full range Fostex speakers I used to use with the tube power amp.

I am really impressed. I should have tried this sooner. Both my records, and digital sources, played through the tube preamp into the Tripath amp, all sound great.

Two technologies, 50 years apart, go so well together!

I am kind of in the same boat being a tube person.
If nothing else, it's nice to use a class d amp with tube pre, just to
change the sound up for a little while. Some little nuances of the music seem to come out better depending upon which amp you use. Fun to experiment.

I've got my iPod in a Pure i20 connected to a Pilot tube system right now. It plays well together.

I am kind of in the same boat being a tube person.
If nothing else, it's nice to use a class d amp with tube pre, just to
change the sound up for a little while. Some little nuances of the music seem to come out better depending upon which amp you use. Fun to experiment.

Definitely. I have to admit, for example, the bass is more controlled and defined than my 2A3 style SET amp could ever manage.

I can see myself trying some of those cheap boards being sold out of Asia and comparing them. It's sort of like tube rolling at the power amp level :)

I've got my iPod in a Pure i20 connected to a Pilot tube system right now. It plays well together.

I often connect and Android tablet or phone to mine as well. I am thinking of getting a Bluetooth receiver so don't need a cable.

I've been using and enjoying SET amps for years.

But recently I've found that a $20 TPA3116 class D with a decent power supply plus a tube preamp can rival the performance of a SET but with greater power.

P5080006.jpg

That's seems to be where I am going too.

Nice looking system btw.

Thanks

I can't help being overly enthusiastic when I find something that works so well.

Here I'm using a $10 double chip TPA3116 ( not 100 wpc as advertised but perhaps half that ) combined with a $50 tube preamp and a $20 Radio Shack close out regulated power supply.

A few years ago I thought it impossible to get this level of performance for so small an investment but the TPA's made a believer out of me. The TPA is not to be confused with t-amps. It's in a different league.

I don't have much in the way of DIY skills but very little is needed in such a system which is basically plug and play.

P6280017.jpg

Back
Top Bottom