TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I had one of these a few years ago and I can honestly say it didn't sound as good or give me as much pleasure as these cheapo TPA's.

649050898_large_f8df15d36317678bc056423727ff56cd.jpg

Listening to the double chip 3116/Astron with the Nobsound now and loving every minute of it.

The Nobsound is amp dependent - IMO. Not that it sounds bad with some/one but that with the right one it is outstanding :yes:

Keep in mind when I say that ^ I have a decent tube pre as my main one to compare it to. A Sonic Frontier SFL 2 upgraded by Chris at partsconneXion

Poultrygeist: what do you compare that combo with 3116/Astron/Nobsound?

My best amps are the Bottlehead 2a3 Paramours and Foreplay III preamp followed by a Dared 2a3 integrated.

There are times when I feel the 3116/Astron/Nobsound is ever bit as good as the Dared but it lags behind the sonics of the Bottleheads.

I haven't tried the Nobsound with the Paramours but I plan to and see how it compares with the Foreplay III. The Nobsound betters my Aric 3.7 preamp and the $50 6n3. It's also a cut above the CJ PV2 I owned.

well, I got my red board with dual TI chip hooked up. Sounds good to me. As far as I can tell, the speaker channels are in phase using the various online phase tests . Mine has the single heatsink across the board, and I think Poultry's has dual heatsinks, so maybe it's a different version than this.

I'm using a 19.5V 6.7 amp power brick, and I don't know what kind of power it's putting out to my Pioneer BS22

thank you Poultrygeist
comparing both the amps
i will buy dual chip as it costs just $10.98

Listening to the double chip 3116/Astron with the Nobsound now and loving every minute of it. I'm thinking the double chip might be a tad less refined than the Audiobah but the extra power more than makes up for it with better dynamics.

With the double chip I max it's volume pot and use the preamp's volume control which for normal listening never goes above 9:00. 8:00 is perfect and 12:00 is painful.

With the limited time I've spend with these two today I truthfully can't say one is better than the other but if you need a little more power then the double chip gets the nod. I'll try to give a more lengthy comparison as time goes by.

At $10.98 shipped I can't see a reason anyone who already has the Audiobah wouldn't also spring for the double chip. It is one sweet amp. :thmbsp: :thmbsp:

Maybe this question has already been answered but are those less expensive green boards which look like the Audiobah the same? Some don't mention the pop control feature.

Maybe this question has already been answered but are those less expensive green boards which look like the Audiobah the same? Some don't mention the pop control feature.

I have the YJ green board which is a copy of the Audiobah board, and it does have a quiet on/off pop when used with my Wharfedale w60 speakers in my main 2 channel system. However, I leave it on all the time, so its a non-issue for me. I don't know if that answers your question or not, but its what I know. :music:

how much of a pop causes harm? I've read that it takes a fair amount of a pop/thump to cause damage. It's the working of the woofer to the maximum extension?

I have the clone of the YJ blue. I was getting an occasional pop when I hit the power strip switch too slowly, or off center, causing an arc.

I tried one of these switches below . I use these on LED light strips. No pop on this switch. It's probably OK for 12V and 6A, the power used by a 5M LED 5050 strip, BUT, I dunno about using it with a 19.5 volt PS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371205893446?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

how much of a pop causes harm? I've read that it takes a fair amount of a pop/thump to cause damage. It's the working of the woofer to the maximum extension?

I have the clone of the YJ blue. I was getting an occasional pop when I hit the power strip switch too slowly, or off center, causing an arc.

I tried one of these switches below . I use these on LED light strips. No pop on this switch. It's probably OK for 12V and 6A, the power used by a 5M LED 5050 strip, BUT, I dunno about using it with a 19.5 volt PS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371205893446?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Transformer thump from a SET amp over a period of a few months burnt the voice coil in one of my Lowthers. It's repair will not be cheap. While you can hear the faintest pop with the Audiobah there's zero with the dual chip.

Can anyone read Chinese? Here is a listing for the double chip board on the taobao website that appears to go into more detail and has a lot more buyer feedback than the ebay listing:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.1.oR5iGe&id=43467190314&ns=1&abbucket=14#detail

I was hoping there would be a front panel drilling template, but I don't see one.

What browser are you using? I use Chrome, and it has a translation function.
However, after translating it, I don't see the answer to your question.

Actually - I wouldn't use the 1/8" jack. I would remove it and wire RCA's to the back. As Poultry mentioned, these on board 1/8" jacks are pretty weak.

OK, the equipment we have is the YJ clone blue board, Dell laptop power supply, genuine lamp cord speaker wire, Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed speakers.

I've chosen white lamp cord, since with a darker insulation the electrons can't see which way to flow, which congests the music. In addition, I have harmonized the electron structure of the copper in the lamp cord by hammering it for 3.75 hours while aligned with the poles of Mars....

Today's listening event is Paul Desmond's Glad to be Unhappy album. I'm starting it at 12 noon central time.

And now through the miracle of cutting edge technology, you too can listen in at the same time by clicking this link at 12 noon CT

https://youtu.be/MFbPKib9Y-A?t=1s

Last edited:
You fool!

You should only hammer for 3 hours and place in the freezer for 24 hours afterwards. Otherwise, too much of the smoke in your wires will bunch up and prevent proper flow.

:D

you da fool man..3 hours in the southern hemisphere or 3.75 hours in the northern..I double checked with the scientists at CERN..and that freezer thang..that's urban legend...

What should we call it?

Twin chip, double chip, dual chip or 100x?

The only color I've seen so far is red but I expect that to change.

Back
Top Bottom