Wyred4Sound mAMPS

arcamguy1

Hi group,
For those who have listened to them, how do you rate the W4S mAMPS?
And....how do they stack up to amps from Bel Canto?

Interested in your input,
Thanks,
Jeff

I use these, and am listening to the right now (for the rest of the system, see here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=7928165&postcount=55). I love them - have had them about a year. They replaced Channel Islands Audio D200s with updated modules. Before that, I had Bel Canto M300s, Bryston 3BSST, Forte 4A, and Hafler 9500 amps, and have heard a few other amps in this system.

The mAmps are the best I've heard in my own system. It's hard to describe the sound in any meaningful way - they're quiet, smooth, dynamic, with deep, tight bass, and excellent imaging when the recording can do it. Highly recommended. I'll do my best to answer any questions about them.

I use these, and am listening to the right now (for the rest of the system, see here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=7928165&postcount=55). I love them - have had them about a year. They replaced Channel Islands Audio D200s with updated modules. Before that, I had Bel Canto M300s, Bryston 3BSST, Forte 4A, and Hafler 9500 amps, and have heard a few other amps in this system.

The mAmps are the best I've heard in my own system. It's hard to describe the sound in any meaningful way - they're quiet, smooth, dynamic, with deep, tight bass, and excellent imaging when the recording can do it. Highly recommended. I'll do my best to answer any questions about them.

Rich,
Thanks for the feedback. I followed your thread: you have a great listening area and very impressive system.

W4S has aways intrigued me: seems like a great product for reasonable money. I'm at a point where I'm looking for other options for my system: currently I have a Rega Elicit-R running a pair of Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand SE's. The sound's been just fine, but my listening area is somewhat bigger, and I've wanted more power.

The mAMPS look like a good option. I've always wanted monos; I have a vintage Yamaha C-70 preamp which is about to get a full restore from AK'er Avionic. So...I was thinking about using the W4S amps with them. My budget right now won't allow me to spring for a W4S preamp.

I'm unfamiliar with your cables; I'm a Kimber guy. Sounds like yours do a nice job with the W4S.

The gain: at 30db, no issue with noise? I was talking to someone who said that could be an issue with the amp.

Are you using the mAMPS with the stock power cord or are you using aftermarket stuff? Someone told me the mAMPS like good power conditioning and good power cords.

I'm sure I'll have other questions...
Jeff

Jeff

I have never tried the stock cables with mine. They are still in the bags in the boxes. Found these to work very well at a fair price. Obviously Patrick has some history with the W4S people from his years at his Dad's company.

http://www.cullencable.com/index.php/products/power-cables/red-copper-series

As to noise, dead silent balanced and a slight hiss from a few inches with SE inputs. Level of his will of course be dependent on efficiency of speakers used. Was higher with GE's than with Odyssey's.

Jack

I haven't had experience with the amps but my Wyred4Sound DAC is a superb performer. I've also bought a power cable from them with great results as well.
I have had wonderful response from support and communication have been fast and helpful.

Solid company IMO. :thmbsp:

Rich,
Thanks for the feedback. I followed your thread: you have a great listening area and very impressive system.

W4S has aways intrigued me: seems like a great product for reasonable money. I'm at a point where I'm looking for other options for my system: currently I have a Rega Elicit-R running a pair of Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand SE's. The sound's been just fine, but my listening area is somewhat bigger, and I've wanted more power.

The mAMPS look like a good option. I've always wanted monos; I have a vintage Yamaha C-70 preamp which is about to get a full restore from AK'er Avionic. So...I was thinking about using the W4S amps with them. My budget right now won't allow me to spring for a W4S preamp.

I'm unfamiliar with your cables; I'm a Kimber guy. Sounds like yours do a nice job with the W4S.

The gain: at 30db, no issue with noise? I was talking to someone who said that could be an issue with the amp.

Are you using the mAMPS with the stock power cord or are you using aftermarket stuff? Someone told me the mAMPS like good power conditioning and good power cords.

I'm sure I'll have other questions...
Jeff

No issues whatsoever with noise; these amps are dead silent. 30 dB is pretty typical gain for SS amps, but I suppose you could have noise issues if your source and preampa aren't really quiet. I'm using Grant Fidelity power cords with them, and both amps are plugged into Brickwall surge protectors - not really power conditioning, but nice to have during thunderstorms.

Rich

Edit: I suppose I should add that I've only used the balanced inputs.

Rich

I got the little noise on the SE inputs with the DAC 2 balanced to the STP-SE and then SE to the amps, again dead silent if all balanced. I have tried Cullen, Wireworld, Blue Circle and Signal power cords. All were plugged into Blue Circle PLC.

Jack

What sort of differences could you tell between the Bel Canto and the W4S?
Right now I'm considering the W4S St500, A Bel Canto REF 150S, or maybe an Emerald Physics 100.2SE,or maybe something used from either manufacturer.
This will be coupled with my Benchmark DAC2 to bring my system to a small form factor. Obviously the mono's will be different than the 2 channel amplifier, but I assume the signature will be similar.

What sort of differences could you tell between the Bel Canto and the W4S?

I don't want to overstate the difference, because both are excellent amps. However, the W4S seem to have tighter, deeper-sounding bass, and bit more transparency.

I heard them under audio show conditions, so take it with a huge grain of salt. They were slightly lit up in the treble, but it wasn't as objectionable as early/mediocre class D designs. Slight graininess in the midrange but otherwise very clean. Pretty engaging sound and above-average sense of rhythm. Good amplifier in the grand scheme of things but I suspect a bit behind Hypex nCore and other members of the latest generation of Class D.

Last edited:
In my room not "lit up" or "grainy", shows are the last place I would judge the sound of an amp as many of those matchings are for joint marketing purposes as opposed to synergy.

No issues whatsoever with noise; these amps are dead silent. 30 dB is pretty typical gain for SS amps, but I suppose you could have noise issues if your source and preampa aren't really quiet. I'm using Grant Fidelity power cords with them, and both amps are plugged into Brickwall surge protectors - not really power conditioning, but nice to have during thunderstorms.

Rich

Edit: I suppose I should add that I've only used the balanced inputs.

Perhaps my plan to pair the amps with my restored Yamaha C-70 may not be the best course; sounds like balanced inputs are giving the best results. The Yamaha does not have those. A brand new preamp is not in the budget right now. For me, the other option would be using the pre in the Elicit-R.

I really like the idea of monos, for imaging reasons, soundstaging. However, reading up on the Bel Cantos, too.

Thanks, all, for the discussion. Keep it coming....

You might want to take a look at the Red Dragon amps and also the Nuprime (Nuforce) ST-10. Both have received great reviews. In the case of the Nuprime, Steven Stone of TAS said it was better than amps from Bel Canto, W4S and April Music that he had in house in the past. If your speakers to be used with the mAMPS are not "high efficiency" then the SE inputs should not be a problem unless you listen with your ears against the tweeters unless the Yamaha is noisy itself.

You might want to take a look at the Red Dragon amps and also the Nuprime (Nuforce) ST-10. Both have received great reviews. In the case of the Nuprime, Steven Stone of TAS said it was better than amps from Bel Canto, W4S and April Music that he had in house in the past. If your speakers to be used with the mAMPS are not "high efficiency" then the SE inputs should not be a problem unless you listen with your ears against the tweeters unless the Yamaha is noisy itself.

The Viennas have an advertised sensitivity of 91db, although John Atkinson in the January 2015 "Stereophile" says his measurements were lower, at 86.5 db. He says the speakers drop to 2.3ohms at 90hz. I'm still learning all this...so don't mean to sound like an expert.

The reason I am doing all this is, contrary to what was sold to me, I fear my Rega Elicit-R may be a bit overmatched by the speakers. A couple weeks ago I pushed the amp too hard and I think it went into protection...anyway...no music until I turned the volume down. Last thing I want to do is harm those speakers, which weren't cheap.

Hence, looking to upgrade the amplification. I will also look at those other options you mention.
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff

I will admit upfront that I am not a "Rega Fan", even though I own and don't use the "Rega Planar 3 combo" that Fremer raved about years ago. My impression of their integrated amps from reading comments on various forums over the years, is that you ignore the reviews from the major print rags where they buy ads and look at the long term owner comments. That tells me that there integrated amps are over spec'd and built to "their price point" so I am not suprised that the Elicit can't handle the VA speakers. There are those on this forum that defend them to the end, but I wouldn't give them a second thought if looking for a British integrated. Any of the amps you are considering will be better with the VA's. Just my humble opinion after 40 years and not afraid of the flames.

Back
Top Bottom