Score? I think so!

Oh, and I think I found the issue with the Pioneer power switch. It was just loose enough that it wasn't rotating far enough to turn firmly off. I still don't know what was smoking though I do see some hot spots on the PCB under the big filter cap and the output on one side.

If you look closely at the pic you posted of the emitter resistors, you will see that one of them is cracked. Replace them. Or just give that one to me and I will do it :D

New Mexico? Sure, I've always wanted to visit. :)

Yes I saw that and I intend to do so. I actually think both on that channel have hairlines. I might as well do the other side while I am at it.

AKAI made (and still makes) some great stuff.

I had that Sony. Nice sound. More warm than grainy.

sweet score! I like that Akai receiver .....

Good looking bunch of gear - have fun sorting thru and listening to it all

:thmbsp:

Allright! Can any of those Dial in the 'Wolfman' ?
Hope so.. otherwise Not much actual use is there :D

I bet you didn't get much sleep that night with all those new toys!

You did have a great day!
I like them all!

Glenn

I bet you didn't get much sleep that night with all those new toys!

I have the Sony hooked up and it sounds great though has a bit of channel volume imbalance especially on Phono. It looked so good, in my excitement I didn't even open it to De-oxit and De-dustbunnyit so hopefully that will help. I promise I will do that to any of the others before I run them in my system :).

One thing I love is the subtle backlight coming through the clear plastic balance knob and back of the tuning knob. I don't think I noticed that with my 7025 but perhaps it has some burnt out bulbs I wasn't aware of.

Almost (I think) as good a score as my $10.00 Shure V15 III new in box :)

DSCF3417.jpg

DSCF3418.jpg

DSCF3420.jpg

Dayum! That's a good one too! :thmbsp:

I've been using the Akai the last few days and it does sound good. I picked up some 5w resistors for the Pioneer and have some bulbs coming soon for a couple of these. The other 2 I will back burner for a while.

Akai AA-1050 & Sony PS-2400 by Buhduh, on Flickr

BTW, guess what cartridge is on the PS-2400? :scratch2: Here, let me make that easier for you. :smoke:

Shure V15 III by Buhduh, on Flickr

Congrats on your find! those old Sonys are great sounding receivers, along with the Akai. In my opinion the Akai's are way under rated.

Good end to a dry spell, way to go! I've never owned one of those Sony receivers but I love the look of them.

I have been using the Akai as my main rig the last couple of months and it's been performing flawlessly. Still have to do some lamps though...

I fixed up the Audio Reflex which didn't need much except for a good cleaning and a couple of near-matching knobs, and it has found a new owner. Tonight I finally got around to working on the Pioneer and replaced those resistors. I put in some 5 watt ones but it was a tight squeeze. One of the traces lifted on the PCB where the hot spot seemed the worst but I managed to work with that.

Pioneer SX-3600 new resistors by Buhduh, on Flickr

It's hooked up and sounding great. I also replaced some bulbs. That display sure looks nice! :)

Pioneer SX-3600 new lamps by Buhduh, on Flickr

I wish I had the funds to get a ground up on the 3800 I found in a ditch near my home. Alas, that's gonna be gifted to Mattsd in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom