anyone tried cambridge audio 851a/840a with bose 901?

believlle

Hi,

i got a pair of bose 901 VI with EQ, and then confused with which amp i should choose as need to connect EQ. just wondering if 851a or 840a is compatible with bose 901 system. they both have a "RecOut" and "RecIn", not sure if this can be use as "tape" & "Monitor"

on the manual it says about the "RecIn" and "RecOut" as like a monitor usage:

Rec In:

Connect to a tape deck or to the analogue output sockets on a MiniDisc, portable digital music player or CD recorder using an interconnect cable from the recorder’s Line Out sockets to the amplifier’s Rec In sockets.
The Rec input circuit of the 851A is a “monitor” type, different from the other 7 inputs. For the 7 normal inputs, the source selected for listening will be sent out of the Rec Out for recording. The source currently being listened to and (optionally) recorded is then shown on the front panel display.
However, when Rec In is selected a solid circle will appear beside REC IN indicating that the Rec input is now being listened to with a different source being sent out of the Rec Out for recording. The recording source is also shown by a solid circle by the selected input and can be changed by pressing the other source buttons.
To switch Rec input off, simply press the ‘Rec In’ select button again, toggling this function off.
This feature is most useful when using 3-head analogue cassette decks which allow the signal being recorded to be played back live off tape (via a 3rd head) whilst it is simultaneously recorded. It is then possible by toggling the Rec input on and off to compare directly in real time the original and recorded signal so that adjustments to the recording parameters of the tape machine can be made (consult the manual of your 3-head analogue cassette deck for full details).

Rec Out
For connection to the line level inputs of Tape Recorders or other analogue recording apparatus.

i would prefer an integrated amp to keep things simple, so NAD C375 and Cambridge 851a could be the choice, c375 is a safe choice but i don't like the looking...

thank you for sharing your ideas.

It's a tape loop. It'll work fine.

strange, i got reply from cambridge support..

====My Question====
Hi,

I bought the bose 901 VI system and i would prefer to buy the cambridge audio 851a as the integrated amp, it is powerful and i trust the product quality from cambridge audio.

my trouble is, the 901 system has a equalizer that must be connected, and i was reading the manual fo 851a, and it has RecIn/RecOut jacks, could i hook the EQ with them and play with a source like a DAC?

if i understand it correctly, i can select my DAC as source, and select RecIn at the same time, will the signal processing path be like the following?

DAC->851a RecOut->Bose EQ in-> Bose EQ out->851a RecIn->851a PreAmp-> 851a PowerAmp->Speakers
=====The reply=====
Support2 (Cambridge Audio)

Dear Sir, thanks for your inquiry.
I'm afraid I don't this this will work. the 851A cannot select the DAC input and recorder inputs at the same time, so this will mean you cannot listen to the source and apply the required EQ. You could use it with a DacMagic Plus (or 851D) and a power amp with the EQ unit placed between them though.
Regards
=====Ask again======
thank you, i am reading the spec for DacMagic plus, and just see the output
voltage is 2.1v rms, and what is the max voltage for the unbalanced output?
can you help to check that? need this data to see if it can match the power
amp.
=====Ok...=========
Support2 (Cambridge Audio)

The voltage is fixed- the volume is adjusted entirely in the digital domain via DSP noise shaping.
Ed
=================

This feature is most useful when using 3-head analogue cassette decks which allow the signal being recorded to be played back live off tape (via a 3rd head) whilst it is simultaneously recorded. It is then possible by toggling the Rec input on and off to compare directly in real time the original and recorded signal so that adjustments to the recording parameters of the tape machine can be made (consult the manual of your 3-head analogue cassette deck for full details).

Dear Sir, thanks for your inquiry.
I'm afraid I don't this this will work. the 851A cannot select the DAC input and recorder inputs at the same time, so this will mean you cannot listen to the source and apply the required EQ.

Aren't those statements contradictory?

If the tape loop can't be selected with the DAC input, it won't function like in the first quote. As far as I'm concerned, it would also indicate incompetence of design (design defect) by the manufacturer.

First guess: You asked a question of someone at Cambridge who doesn't know their own product.

Last edited:
In the old days, the idea of the tape loop was to be able to monitor the signal coming off the tape while it was recording (assuming you had a 3-head deck) without affecting the incoming signal. These days, analog tape is pretty much extinct (and even if you can still find new tape decks on the market, I doubt any of them have 3 heads), and with it went the tape loop. It appears that more modern equipment has simply a tape input, which does not allow you to monitor the signal while playing. So for this reason, the Cambridge amps are not compatible.

What you need is either an older amp with a tape loop, or a new one with a processor loop or preamp out/power amp in connections.

In the old days, the idea of the tape loop was to be able to monitor the signal coming off the tape while it was recording (assuming you had a 3-head deck) without affecting the incoming signal. These days, analog tape is pretty much extinct (and even if you can still find new tape decks on the market, I doubt any of them have 3 heads), and with it went the tape loop. It appears that more modern equipment has simply a tape input, which does not allow you to monitor the signal while playing. So for this reason, the Cambridge amps are not compatible.

What you need is either an older amp with a tape loop, or a new one with a processor loop or preamp out/power amp in connections.

from the manual seems these two can be used as a loop, not just a input.

"
However, when Rec In is selected a solid circle will appear beside REC IN indicating that the Rec input is now being listened to with a different source being sent out of the Rec Out for recording. The recording source is also shown by a solid circle by the selected input and can be changed by pressing the other source buttons.
"​

Aren't those statements contradictory?

If the tape loop can't be selected with the DAC input, it won't function like in the first quote. As far as I'm concerned, it would also indicate incompetence of design (design defect) by the manufacturer.

First guess: You asked a question of someone at Cambridge who doesn't know their own product.

Haha, yes, i sent a email again, this time they said yes :tears:

"thanks for your inquiry.
These connections do indeed function as a tape loop and can be used as such.
Regards"​

i am wondering how professional would be these support guys in the industry, not only in cambridge audio actually i like cambridge audio product, when i calling bose about some similar question, i got different answers from different people :scratch2:

Haha, yes, i sent a email again, this time they said yes :tears:

"thanks for your inquiry.
These connections do indeed function as a tape loop and can be used as such.
Regards"​

i am wondering how professional would be these support guys in the industry, not only in cambridge audio actually i like cambridge audio product, when i calling bose about some similar question, i got different answers from different people :scratch2:

anyway, i think this reply is correct.

Common. Folks are hired because they'll work for the compensation provided, not because they're competent. In the end, it's the company's fault for failing to train their people, or for failing to hire trainable people.

The folks at Taco Bell can't make a taco to company standards about 1/3 of the time (or more) around here. They "forget" to put all the items in the bag about the same percentage of time.

You might want to re-think that Cambridge Audio (and Bose) purchase, knowing that customer support is that lame. I don't go to Taco Bell very often.

Common. Folks are hired because they'll work for the compensation provided, not because they're competent. In the end, it's the company's fault for failing to train their people, or for failing to hire trainable people.

The folks at Taco Bell can't make a taco to company standards about 1/3 of the time (or more) around here. They "forget" to put all the items in the bag about the same percentage of time.

You might want to re-think that Cambridge Audio (and Bose) purchase, knowing that customer support is that lame. I don't go to Taco Bell very often.

I was asking what is the different if i hook the EQ in the monitor loop, or between preOut and mainIn, which is better, and Bose support said they are the same, i am not sure if this is correct, as the tape monitor loop is linear in and out, and preout can have volume control.

Now i am thinking, if the tape out is a line out, maybe i can put the EQ between my CD and a normal amp? :scratch2:

Back
Top Bottom