Nakamichi left channel phono hiss

Good day friends,
Nakamichi Receiver 3 has a hiss in left channel of phono stage only. It is there with nothing attached to inputs and increases with volume. Speakers have been swapped out and it is always present.
I have downloaded the service manual and am hoping for some pointers or starting point suggestions.
Much thanks in advance.

Thanks for the replies:thmbsp:
I will likely replace caps anyway. I will have to send away for parts so I would like to know if I may need anything else to do the job.
I have rudimentary understanding of circuits and parts but my troubleshooting is a little green.
The hiss is still present when tt hooked up.

Last edited:
They really aren't that old (I worked at Nak when they came out in 90 IIRC) and shouldn't need a full recap. I'd look for a bad cap in the RIAA eq circuit, but that's just a wild ass guess. I managed a bunch of techs, I'm not really one myself.

I apologize for the delay.
I took measurements of the L. ch. phono stage but only the resistors (which all measured fine). When I try to measure the caps, my DMM just reads 0.00 and a flashing minus sign. It will measure capacitance if I put caps in the little slots but not via probes. Gonna have to dig out the manual to see what it says :(

Meanwhile, any advice is still appreciated :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom