Score? I think so!

Montycat

Staff member
Subscriber
I think I did ok last night, which ended a bit of a dry spell. :banana:

$40 for 4 receivers, shown here from worst to best.

Audio Reflex AR-625 - looks and works ok, but missing a couple of knobs and screws.

Audio Reflex AR-625 by Buhduh, on Flickr

Pioneer SX-3600 - I was warned it smelled burnt, but after a good inspection with it open, I powered it on. It seems to work fine though the power switch does not turn it off and there is some scorching at the base of some resistors near the output transistors on one side. Maybe the power switch was arcing and ended up shorted closed? Or someone bridged it because it was failing? I dunno, but so far it sounds fine with phones...and no smoke after 30 minutes.

Pioneer SX-3600 by Buhduh, on Flickr

Pioneer SX-3600 4 by Buhduh, on Flickr

Pioneer SX-3600 resistors by Buhduh, on Flickr

Akai AA-1050 - practically mint. No issues to report so far.

Akai AA-1050 top by Buhduh, on Flickr

Akai AA-1050 by Buhduh, on Flickr

And the Sony STR-7065! Of all of these this will be the keeper. Great condition with just a few scratches on one side. I've got a couple of other Sony receivers but this is the nicest so far. :music:

Sony STR-7065 by Buhduh, on Flickr

Sony STR-7065 4 by Buhduh, on Flickr

Sony STR-7065 3 by Buhduh, on Flickr

Sony STR-7065 2 by Buhduh, on Flickr

I'd say you did quite well for $40. You are in the land of the rich and famous though, so it's difficult to say :).

I e-mailed the guy, told him you ripped him off so he is going to hunt you down to seek his revenge. The only way to avoid this unfortunate event is to meet me at the east end of the Port Mann and hand those over to me .......that's right nice and easy like...You don't wanna be swimmin' with the fishes' now do ya?

I have the same Akai and absolutely love it. Very Yamaha-esque in its visual design, however I've heard that Yamaha stole the look from Akai. Clean/natural sound from the Akai. A well designed receiver. Love the look of that Sony too. Nice score!

I e-mailed the guy, told him you ripped him off so he is going to hunt you down to seek his revenge. The only way to avoid this unfortunate event is to meet me at the east end of the Port Mann and hand those over to me .......that's right nice and easy like...You don't wanna be swimmin' with the fishes' now do ya?

Naah, if I was going to rip him off, it would for one of the 1960's Vettes he had in the garage. :naughty: Wanna meet there later? I get the red one with the 427. :zoom:

Oh, and I think I found the issue with the Pioneer power switch. It was just loose enough that it wasn't rotating far enough to turn firmly off. I still don't know what was smoking though I do see some hot spots on the PCB under the big filter cap and the output on one side.

Last edited:
Naah, if I was going to rip him off, it would for one of the 1960's Vettes he had in the garage. :naughty: Wanna meet there later? I get the red one with the 427. :zoom:

Where did you say this guy lived?

Well done!

Yes I would say you did extremely well!!

The knobs for the Audio Reflex might not be as hard to source as you think. While looking at them I thought I saw them before and I did. A walk to my Sony STR-6800SD and I think I have a hit. Its possible that Sony might have had a hand in Audio Reflex. If there is any difference in the knobs its very minor and I am sure there are lots of STR model Sony around collecting dust that you might find a knob from.

Attachments

• 20140819_084613.jpg
    20140819_084613.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20140819_084643.jpg
    20140819_084643.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 25
Thanks for the info on the knobs. One of the knobs on the Pioneer was actually from the Audio Reflex, and I had one that was a very near match for the Pioneer. I'm still going to try to match the remainder so good tip on the Sony similarity.

Back
Top Bottom