Blew a fuse in my amp

matteos

StereoType
Subscriber
Denon POA 1500.

I know it should be obvious to change it, but it's not. I'm not sure the value. I have the service manual.. Says it's a 120v F1 fuse.. Not sure the amperage on it, or what it's supposed to be, also not sure if there are others, it's unclear to me. Anyone have more of a clue than me?
Thanks

And I immediately answered my own question after posting. NVM, it's a 125 volt 10 amp fuse..

Does anyone know if it is a fast or slow blow fuse. The guy at radishack thinks they are fast blow, so that's what I bought, but I'm not sure he's right, the original fuse is coiled wire, so maybe it's slow blow?

"Fast" is relative. It is not a time-delay fuse, so by colloquial terms, it is a "fast" blow. It is not a current limiting electronic fuse either, so by that measure it is slower.

I find it difficult to even get my fingers inside these units at times. I know there's no way I could get my lips in there. Congratulations on your dexterity.

Lol. :D

Very funny,not sure you answered my question though

i'd also want to diagnose why the fuse blew and address that before i replaced the blown fuse (don't ask me how i know, lol).

Oh the fuse blew because of my own idiocy. I shorted it with a very silly hookup to another amp/speakers and didn't remove bi wire jumpers

Oh the fuse blew because of my own idiocy. I shorted it with a very silly hookup to another amp/speakers and didn't remove bi wire jumpers

You realize that you might have blown the output transistors, right? Maybe the ones in the other amp too. In order to prevent further damage you should not turn either amp on again until you have a dim-bulb tester in series with the plug and definitely don't run any good speakers off either amp until you're sure they are both operating properly.

You realize that you might have blown the output transistors, right? Maybe the ones in the other amp too. In order to prevent further damage you should not turn either amp on again until you have a dim-bulb tester in series with the plug and definitely don't run any good speakers off either amp until you're sure they are both operating properly.

Yeah, I realize bad things could have happened, just want to see if it powers on with a new fuse, I have some crappy expendable speakers.Can you elaborate more on the dim bulb tester please? I have a multimeter, how would I go about testing everything is good with that?

As soon as it happened it wouldn't show even the slightest amount of life, the fuse is black on the inside.
The other amp and speakers are fine, the other amp was not on.. That's why I think I gave it a direct short. It was a moment of shear stupidity.

Yeah, I realize bad things could have happened, just want to see if it powers on with a new fuse, I have some crappy expendable speakers.Can you elaborate more on the dim bulb tester please? I have a multimeter, how would I go about testing everything is good with that?

As soon as it happened it wouldn't show even the slightest amount of life, the fuse is black on the inside.
The other amp and speakers are fine, the other amp was not on.. That's why I think I gave it a direct short. It was a moment of shear stupidity.

Yeah, we all have those "if only I could go back in time to five minutes before" moments.

The other amp's output stage acted as virtually a short circuit to your Denon. The fuse being black means a lot of current went through it before it blew. The dim-bulb is a light bulb wired in series with the amp's plug that limits the current and lets you know if something is still shorted instead of just putting another fuse in and maybe burning up more things inside. You'd need to cobble it together from a utility light socket and an electrical box or two; I hate to be one of those "do a search" guys, but that's what you should do. You can just put another fuse in if you want, just remember that the fuse is there to keep it from catching on fire, it won't prevent more damage.

For the other amp, you could just try hooking it up to some crappy speakers but if you want to be on the safe side you would use the series light bulb (DBT) or at least not hook up good speakers to it before you check for dc offset using the steps in this thread:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5634

Make sure you have your meter set up properly before you put it on those speaker terminals. In fact, leave it until tomorrow if you're tired.

Thank you for the direction.. I have no problem looking stuff up. Glad you Pointed Mr in the right direction. Will post again once I've done these steps.. tomorrow thanks

Back
Top Bottom