A new challenge! What's the best system you can build for under $500?

Chicks, I agree, very impressed with the Sonos products. At 349.00 you could afford a Deezer subscription and still stay under $500

Beer

As an ode to the $1000 system thread, let us see what we can do at the $500 and below price point. No used gear, this is for all new gear. DIY is allowed, but there is a catch, it must be in a retail kit form and contain all parts necessary to build a finished ready-to-use component. There is a lot out there, and nice results can be had on an almost beer budget. Mind you, all $500 doesn't have to be used towards the system, that is just the limit. I think we can make some pretty respectable systems for $500 or less. Carry on :D :smoke:

Okay Folks:

I'm going to say about maybe 35 to 40 Years ago, $500.00 has bought you a VERY RESPECTABLE High Fidelity Stereo System (Speaker System, Stereo Receiver (15 to 25 WPC), and a Turntable with a Magnetic Cartridge).

But my, how times have changed.

I am now convinced that it can still be done today. But MAN, it's harder than ever, that's for DAMN sure.

But anyway, without further ado, here's MY $500.00 Audio System today (the 2015 Version).

But be advised, unlike 40 Years Ago, when vinyl was the MAIN source right along with FM Stereo. Today, it's not that kind of party. And while vinyl is enjoying a huge resurgence in 2015, today, it's no longer feasible in a $500.00 System (not unless you're okay with getting a cheap plastic turntable (of which I am NOT)).

So, if you're okay with this being an ALL DIGITAL System, then here goes:

Speaker System: Fluance SX-6 (Bookshelf/Stand Mount Monitors) -- $150.00 (Mail Order Directly From Fluance (Free Shipping))

Stereo Receiver: Yamaha R-S201 (100 Watts Per Channel) -- $130.00 (On Sale At Crutchfield -- $20.00 Off -- Regular -- $150.00 (Free Shipping))

Compact Disc Player: TEAC CD-P650 (With USB Input For Your iPod, iPad, or Android Tablet) -- $130.00 (On Sale At Amazon (Free Shipping))

Then tie it all together with good cheap Cables from Parts Express, or House Brand Cables from your local Best Buy or H. H. Gregg.

System Total: $410.00 (Excluding Cables)

Sorry...... No Vinyl.....

OKAY PEEPS!!!!!! BEAT THIS!!!!!

--Charles--

Last edited:
Speaker System: Fluance SX-6 (Bookshelf/Stand Mount Monitors) -- $150.00 (Mail Order Directly From Fluance (Free Shipping))

I just discovered those speakers a few days back, and am quite interested in them for a computer setup. How do they sound? Most reviews I've read stated they're an excellent value and produce a very nice sound, punching above their price point. They certainly look good, too.

Okay Folks:

I'm going to say about maybe 35 to 40 Years ago, $500.00 has bought you a VERY RESPECTABLE High Fidelity Stereo System (Speaker System, Stereo Receiver (15 to 25 WPC), and a Turntable with a Magnetic Cartridge).

But my, how times have changed.

I am now convinced that it can still be done today. But MAN, it's harder than ever, that's for DAMN sure.

But anyway, without further ado, here's MY $500.00 Audio System today (the 2015 Version).

But be advised, unlike 40 Years Ago, when vinyl was the MAIN source right along with FM Stereo. Today, it's not that kind of party. And while vinyl is enjoying a huge resurgence in 2015, today, it's no longer feasible in a $500.00 System (not unless you're okay with getting a cheap plastic turntable (of which I am NOT)).

So, if you're okay with this being an ALL DIGITAL System, then here goes:

Stereo Receiver: Yamaha R-S201 (100 Watts Per Channel) -- $130.00 (On Sale At Crutchfield -- $20.00 Off -- Regular -- $150.00 (Free Shipping))

Compact Disc Player: TEAC CD-P650 (With USB Input For Your iPod, iPad, or Android Tablet) -- $130.00 (On Sale At Amazon (Free Shipping))

Then tie it all together with good cheap Cables from Parts Express, or House Brand Cables from your local Best Buy or H. H. Gregg.

System Total: $410.00 (Excluding Cables)

Sorry...... No Vinyl.....

OKAY PEEPS!!!!!! BEAT THIS!!!!!

--Charles--

Two thoughts regarding what $500 buys

933b0bee324cbe7ecdb83f930e5f3f8e.jpg

490f8dfed4e8c80118f5ca2641d55a51.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yamaha R-S201 receiver $150
Dayton B625 AIR speakers $60
Grace Digital model GDI-IRDT200 wi/fi internet/FM tuner $200

Total $410

I'll take a shot:

Yamaha MCR-N560 - $449 at accessorries4less.

Done.

Option: add Dayton 8" sub and blow the budget by $50.

I was gonna say TEAC AG 790/A for about $140.00 but they say they have been discontinued. So I will make the following substitution and I will have to go with a digital theme on this one.

Yamaha R-S201BL 2-Channel Stereo Receiver, $150.00 @ The Jungle.

TEAC CD-P650-B Compact Disc Player, $130.00 @ The Jungle.

Cerwin Vega SL5M 2-Way Satellite Speaker, $149.00 @ The Jungle.

That comes to 429.00 with $71.00 left for flexy cash. :banana:

RS201_poster.jpg

main.jpg

SL5C.jpg

Last edited:
Sony SSCS5 3-Way 3-Driver Bookshelf Speaker System (Black) $218
Yamaha R-S201BL 2-Channel Stereo Receiver $122
TEAC CD-P650-B Compact Disc Player with USB and iPod Digital Interface $130

$470 for the System

New to the forum, so that explains the lateness... Here's my go at it!

Kirksaeter Silverline 60's (new condition, from ebay. Hit link to confirm that they're NEW, not used): $235 including shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kirksaeter-...567241?hash=item41a154db89:g:bewAAOSwVFlT5oIb

Sony STRDH130 Stereo Receiver (refurbished, from Amazon): $80 with free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished

Teac CD-P1260: $120 with free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/TEAC-CD-P1260...&qid=1450900592&sr=8-1&keywords=teac+cd-p1260

That comes to $435, leaving plenty of money for interconnects. If we aren't counting shipping, swap the Sony amp for an Emotiva Mini-x A-100 integrated selling for $150 on Amazon right now.
http://www.amazon.com/Emotiva-Mini-...8&qid=1450900967&sr=1-1&keywords=emotiva+mini. That would make the total $470.

Here are some screenshots of the current pricing:
Kirksaeter.png
sonyAmp.png
teacCDP.png
emotiva.png

- Nobsound TPA3116 50Wx2 ($40)
- Schiit Modi 2 Uber ($149)
- Elac B6 speakers ($279)

Using my Mac Mini with Audirvana Plus as the primary source.

Here is what I just made myself:

TubeCube 7 (APPJ/MiniWatt) = $180 from Tube Depot
Infinity Primus P363 3-way towers = $97 x 2 = $194 shipped from Fry's

= $374

Use the remaining $126 for speaker cable and an aux cable. You'll still have over $100 for another component!

Here is what I just made myself:

TubeCube 7 (APPJ/MiniWatt) = $180 from Tube Depot
Infinity Primus P363 3-way towers = $97 x 2 = $194 shipped from Fry's

= $374

Use the remaining $126 for speaker cable and an aux cable. You'll still have over $100 for another component!

I owned the smaller version of those speakers, the 2-way standmount, and they liked a little power behind them. I'm not totally sure if the miniwatt would cut it with the 3-way. I owned the miniwatt too, but not at the same time... Those little amps sound really good with appropriate speakers.

- Woody

It works fine for a small-ish room. The 3-way towers are more efficient than the bookshelves, so that might help. Not going to make your ears bleed, but I think it sounds great. I'm still breaking both in.

It works fine for a small-ish room. The 3-way towers are more efficient than the bookshelves, so that might help. Not going to make your ears bleed, but I think it sounds great. I'm still breaking both in.

I don't doubt it sounds great. Those miniwatt's are awesome sounding. So as long as you're not asking it to do too much I imagine the combo is very nice. I didn't realize you owned it. Most of the people posting in this thread I think are "building" hypothetical systems.

Post a pic!

- Woody

I don't doubt it sounds great. Those miniwatt's are awesome sounding. So as long as you're not asking it to do too much I imagine the combo is very nice. I didn't realize you owned it. Most of the people posting in this thread I think are "building" hypothetical systems.

Post a pic!

Thanks Woody, here's a pic. On the top shelf is my treasured amp from high school, an NAD 7240PE and below is the Tube Cube 7

21st century option:

Audioengine A5+ - $399
Chromecast Audio - $35

...done

Assumes existing WiFi and smart phone. All necessary cables included with hardware.

This is similar to what I'm running, except I have used gear. But this is what I'd run on my PC if I were to start over today.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UMC...1455655065&sr=8-2&keywords=behringer+umc202hd
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton...mplifier-with-headphone-amp-2-x-15w--300-3810
http://www.amazon.com/Micca-MB42X-B...F8&qid=1455654892&sr=8-1&keywords=micca+mb42x
http://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-D...54999&sr=8-1&keywords=martin+logan+dynamo+300
http://tidal.com/no/try-now-c (6 month subscription + 1 month free trial, for $101.94)

Leftover budget should just about cover wires and various plugs.

Back
Top Bottom