Will TPA-3116's work in a surround sound application? Or better to Use Crown Amps?

HiFiJeff

Hello,

Just really wanting to make the right choice when it comes to my system. I am starting over so might as well do it right and the way I want it. After much contemplation, I have decided I want the best of both worlds in one system. I want a 5.1 system for movies, sports, 5.1 music and video games and then a critical 2 channel stereo set up.

So I am wondering if going this route, if using the TPA-3116 is the best choice? Or I am starting to think that going the Crown route might be a better choice. Due to the built in crossovers and and I can bridge an amp and use it for the center channel. So 3 Crown's would be a pretty sweet set up. What do you guys think?

From an engineering/design standpoint, here are the variables that would drive the decision:

- How big is the room?
- What is the efficiency of the speakers to be used?
- What are the specs for the amps in question?
- How loud, in db/SPL terms, is the system expected to operate? What are the peaks expected to be encountered?

Once that's known, then its a matter of finding the right amount of power to fill the cavity to the SPL level.

Cheers,

David

From an engineering/design standpoint, here are the variables that would drive the decision:

- How big is the room?
- What is the efficiency of the speakers to be used?
- What are the specs for the amps in question?
- How loud, in db/SPL terms, is the system expected to operate? What are the peaks expected to be encountered?

Once that's known, then its a matter of finding the right amount of power to fill the cavity to the SPL level.

Cheers,

David

http://www.pinebluffsapartments.com/?attachment_id=60

Room size - 19x14
Speakers - 94.5
Crown Amp - 375 x 2
TPA-3116 Amp 15 x 2

Not looking at really loud volumes due to living in an apartment. More just sound quality.

I would think you want a lot more power up front than the 3116 amp can provide.

I could see maybe using them for rear channel work due to low power and possibly center channel for clarity.

I would think you want a lot more power up front than the 3116 amp can provide.

I could see maybe using them for rear channel work due to low power and possibly center channel for clarity.

So even with 94.5 db efficient speakers with no crossover, the 15 x 2 wouldn't be loud enough? And for center channel, clarity? I would want that for the left and right channels too. :)

And how would that work, using a TPA 3116 for the center channel? Just using one of the channels?

I am not saying a 3116 amp(s) won't work. It just seems to me a 5.1 system needs power to handle the sound a lot of people like from their magic picture boxes. I don't usually watch movies where blowing stuff up is common but to really make explosions sound good you need some power. If you like movies based on more subtle sounds, a 3116 amp (or several) might work well for you.

In order to achieve THX certification(exactly what that is I don't know) an amp has to be rated at 100 watt minimum.

FWIW, I use a 100 watt amp with 90 dB speakers in a 2 channel tv system and it handles the variety of volumes and bass from television based sources very well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom