New bookshelf speakers $2k budget

Well, it looks like I'm back in the market for new speakers. As some of you may know, Bobby Palkovich (Mr. Merlin) took his own life last week, leaving myself and others out thousands of dollars in undelivered products. So this time around I'm only buying from an established online store, and one with a liberal return policy as I'm stuck buying blind. Right now the top of my list is the Monitor Audio Gold 50 (maybe the 100) from Crutchfield. 60 day easy returns, and I know they're going to be in business. Anyone out there with experience with the MA Gold bookshelf's? I'm also open to suggestions as long as it's from an established seller with a decent return policy.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2. Also how are you and others out thousands. Bobby's products were only sold through dealers. So if a dealer took a deposit or payment for a product he can't deliver that is on him. Hope you heard them at a dealer before ordering as they had no return policy. Also you have recourse through CC if that was used.

Last edited:
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2. Also how are you and others out thousands. Bobby's products were only sold through dealers. So if a dealer took a deposit or payment for a product he can't deliver that is on him. Hope you heard them at a dealer before ordering as they had no return policy. Also you have recourse through CC if that was used.

Merlin sold direct online. There's a memorial thread over at Audiogon where there are others in the same boat as myself. I paid via PayPal, and have filed a claim. Not holding my breath though. Paypal can only reimburse you by taking funds from the sellers account. Merlin was obviously having financial issues, evidenced by the non delivery of goods. If there's no money PayPal can't collect. As far as hearing them, no I didn't. I bought them based on reviews, and Bobby's assurance that he'd help resell them for me if I wasn't satisfied.

crn3371

That's too bad, I didn't realize Bobby had started undercutting his long term dealer network. The online retailers are all going to have pretty much the same stuff in Focal, MA, PSB, Martin Logan etc. Other than Ascend there are a couple of other ID manufacturers with trial policies. If determined to buy from one of the retailers I would think PSB to be the safest bet. Also look at Music Direct and Acoustic Sound.

Here's another speaker I'd definitely consider. I realize you don't want to get burned by dealing with a smaller independent outfit again but you may be able to stop by and make it a day trip and buy/pick them up in person depending on where you live.

This man knows how to make a speaker sound good. I have no doubt that these will outperform most speakers in their price class:

http://philharmonicaudio.com/BMR%20Philharmonitor.html

Well, nothing against the speaker since I haven't heard it but he is using PE speaker cabinets, not building his own. I worry, then, that the crossovers are just standard sourced ones also.

When there is a credible review, or if I heard them, then maybe I would buy.

Really? The crossover should be your least worry. That is what Dennis Murphy does, he designs and modifies crossovers. You should hear what his crossover mods did to a mundane pair of Pioneer BS-22's.

Peruse his website and you will see well respected reviews on his higher end stuff.

Vintagear, aren't you a proponent of the Polk LSiM703's? They're available on Polk's eBay site for under $1k a pair. Just wondering if they're in the same league as the forum darlings such as the LS50's, Harbeth's, etc. My major problem is that medical issues preclude me from traveling in order to audition. I'm forced to buy blind, based on reviews, and hope for the best. This is why a good return policy is mandatory.

Vintagear, aren't you a proponent of the Polk LSiM703's? They're available on Polk's eBay site for under $1k a pair. Just wondering if they're in the same league as the forum darlings such as the LS50's, Harbeth's, etc. My major problem is that medical issues preclude me from traveling in order to audition. I'm forced to buy blind, based on reviews, and hope for the best. This is why a good return policy is mandatory.

At that price, not many new speakers are going to touch them. I would consider the LS50's more similar to the CM5's than the LSiM's.

In re-reading your OP my only concern would be the size of your room. Are the speakers you're shopping for still going in the 12x12 space? If so, will they be placed into the room or along the wall?

Still going in same room. Placement is diagonally in the corner. This layout is based on an article by Steve Deckert of Decware, and was actually used my Merlin in some of their show displays. This layout does bring the speakers out in the room, about 6 feet apart, with the listening position about 6 feet away. The reason that I'm looking for smaller speakers is that I feel the current RBH floor standers are too big for the room, plus 6 feet is rather close for that large a speaker.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 51
Still going in same room. Placement is diagonally in the corner. This layout is based on an article by Steve Deckert of Decware, and was actually used my Merlin in some of their show displays. This layout does bring the speakers out in the room, about 6 feet apart, with the listening position about 6 feet away. The reason that I'm looking for smaller speakers is that I feel the current RBH floor standers are too big for the room, plus 6 feet is rather close for that large a speaker.

OK, if you had those in there and the low end wasn't overbearing then you should be fine with the LSiM's. I was just concerned that the LSiM's might be a bit much for that room size because they do not sound like little speakers, they have a substantial low end. You should be OK, but only a home trial will tell you if they are for you. I think they will look beautiful in there. Keep in mind that you will need good solid stands for them, they weigh about 30 lbs each.

What you are used to hearing will play a big part in how you initially perceive a new speaker. I've never heard the RBH, what presentation do they have?

Take a look at this review of the 703's big brothers:

"Consider the so-called experts successfully duped."

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/polk-audio-lsim707-loudspeaker/

Last edited:
I've had my eyes on the Polks for years. As much as I hate to admit I think what has kept me away is that they are Polks! Some pseudo audiophile snobbery in me kept saying "oh, Polks, those can't really be good". And if you read the reviews on them they're uniformly good. So much for snobbery.

I've had my eyes on the Polks for years. As much as I hate to admit I think what has kept me away is that they are Polks! Some pseudo audiophile snobbery in me kept saying "oh, Polks, those can't really be good". And if you read the reviews on them they're uniformly good. So much for snobbery.

Yup, I think if Polk would have branded a separate high end unit, like Toyota did with Lexus they would have been met with less resistance. Let's face it, most Lexus buyers wouldn't be caught dead in a Toyota.

Me, I don't care what people think. What counts is what my ears think.

Last edited:
I've listened to quite a few Monitor Audios (and own R90 HDs) and I consider them the guys to beat. I often consider buying the small Harbeths but I just can't justify it.

Polk started as a hobbyist high end company and had great success and went mainstream. Building a good speaker is a matter of will, there are no secrets involved, and Polk knows as well as anyone else how to do so. In any event my Dad's Polk speakers sound pretty damned good.

Last edited:
I've given up ever getting my Merlins. Reading on Agon I'm seeing that I'm not alone, there are several others besides me who are out thousands of dollars with nothing to show for it. Sad. That being said, I still want new speakers. So, playing it safe, I've drank the KoolAid. I'm now listening to my new pair of LS50's. I now see (or hear) what all the hoopla was about. Straight out of the box these things just blow me away. Can't wait till they're broken in and the placement is dialed in.

I've had the Polk LSiM707's and I can say wholeheartedly that you will be floored with the 703's. They are really incredible speakers. Do not take them lightly as being Polk branded, they are serious and true hifi speakers that contend with the big boys.

The 703's were on my short list. If for whatever reason the LS50's don't work out (highly doubtful) they're next in line.

I've given up ever getting my Merlins. Reading on Agon I'm seeing that I'm not alone, there are several others besides me who are out thousands of dollars with nothing to show for it. Sad. That being said, I still want new speakers. So, playing it safe, I've drank the KoolAid. I'm now listening to my new pair of LS50's. I now see (or hear) what all the hoopla was about. Straight out of the box these things just blow me away. Can't wait till they're broken in and the placement is dialed in.

Congrats! The LS50's are legendary for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom