Sensational $600 Yamaha system

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Yup, $600 brand new ($599 actually), and it sounded just sensational. Ernie and I were visiting a stereo store and stumbled across this system. We were both shocked when we actually gave it a listen. I really didn't believe that you could get so much sound quality out of a brand new system for that money. Heck, I don't think you can get this much quality out of a used system. At least not without some lottery winner type luck. The boys and girls at Yamaha are really doing some great stuff. Consider my mind well and truly blown.

The Yamaha MCR-N560 system, including CD player and speakers. And it will do 192/24 bit processing. And you can stream to it.

minianlagen_yamaha_mcr_n560_bild_1386751528.jpg

Last edited:
You don't get much for 6 bills anymore that's for sure. I'm assuming the pictures are not to actual scale. How big are those speakers? I don't suppose the receiver has a phono input, that would be too much.

You don't get much for 6 bills anymore that's for sure. I'm assuming the pictures are not to actual scale. How big are those speakers? I don't suppose the receiver has a phono input, that would be too much.

Actually, you've probably never gotten more for $600 (inflation corrected)!

yamaha-mcr-n560bl-micro-component-system-bc.jpg

Nope, no phono input, but two auxiliary inputs to make phono possible. Add a $100 phono stage, a U-turn Orbit, and for $1000 you have a killer system that plays cd, hi-res computer, radio through the built in tuner, and vinyl. Beat that!

Last edited:
That would make a nice bedroom system. AFAIK, Yammy also makes an even more compact system in the same style as this for less than $300, but the speakers are a little smaller and it lacks a CDP.

That would make a nice bedroom system. AFAIK, Yammy also makes an even more compact system in the same style as this for less than $300, but the speakers are a little smaller and it lacks a CDP.

We saw that one too, but didn't give it a listen.

MCRB142-2.jpg

Yamaha seems to be at the top of their game right now.

Did you sit down and listen in the same way you'd sit and listen to a high dollar system, or a standing/casual listen?

We may not be speaking of the same micro system, but the one we saw does play cds.

It was rather startling listening to that CRX-N560. There was a Pink Floyd cd in the tray, and, when it started, I started looking for the LF augmentation. I checked the output wires and realized that all the sound was coming from the little bookshelf pair beside it.

I'm not saying it's the best system I ever heard, but, for example, it beat out a $6K setup in one of the listening rooms. Rega P1/Elys into a Linn integrated into a pair of B&W. Nothing about that setup/room was pleasing to me. Room was overdamped, speakers were very bass-heavy, poorly placed. All in all, the little Yamaha, stuck on a shelf, in a corner, did a much better job of compelling me to stand there and listen than the Linn/B&W setup.

The best part was spending time with a good friend, one whom I see too seldom. Online conversations are okay, but nothing beats 'facetime'.

Thanks, Erik.

I really enjoyed reading this as I'm always impressed/encouraged by quality finds that provide quality sound without breaking the bank. Upon further research, I've found that "open box" examples of this complete Yamaha system can be had for $480, delivered. Or, if you're so inclined, just the receiver and remote only (you provide your own speakers), for $361 delivered. Should make for a fine office/den system.

- Lee -

It just proves to me that we have better technology than ever before, if a company decides to use it to best advantage. That's a tempting little unit.

I really enjoyed reading this as I'm always impressed/encouraged by quality finds that provide quality sound without breaking the bank. Upon further research, I've found that "open box" examples of this complete Yamaha system can be had for $480, delivered. Or, if you're so inclined, just the receiver and remote only (you provide your own speakers), for $361 delivered. Should make for a fine office/den system.

- Lee -
For a lot of people, that would make a fine primary system. After Erik and I went our separate ways, I went to visit some old friends, and their LR system was a bose SoundDock, for just over $300, when new. The Yamaha would shame it and make it slink out of the living room.

We may not be speaking of the same micro system, but the one we saw does play cds.

It was rather startling listening to that CRX-N560. There was a Pink Floyd cd in the tray, and, when it started, I started looking for the LF augmentation. I checked the output wires and realized that all the sound was coming from the little bookshelf pair beside it.

I'm not saying it's the best system I ever heard, but, for example, it beat out a $6K setup in one of the listening rooms. Rega P1/Elys into a Linn integrated into a pair of B&W. Nothing about that setup/room was pleasing to me. Room was overdamped, speakers were very bass-heavy, poorly placed. All in all, the little Yamaha, stuck on a shelf, in a corner, did a much better job of compelling me to stand there and listen than the Linn/B&W setup.

The best part was spending time with a good friend, one whom I see too seldom. Online conversations are okay, but nothing beats 'facetime'.

Thanks, Erik.

I can't disagree with anything Ernie said, except that it was an RP-3. :)

We both agreed that given the choice, or being forced to chose, we'd rather listen to the Yamaha system then $10k worth of Linn/Bowers and Wilkins. I wouldn't have ever bet on that.

And as Ernie said, the best part of the day was hanging around and chatting with a good friend. Everyone should be so lucky to be able to spend an afternoon chatting with Ernie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For a lot of people, that would make a fine primary system. After Erik and I went our separate ways, I went to visit some old friends, and their LR system was a bose SoundDock, for just over $300, when new. The Yamaha would shame it and make it slink out of the living room.

It would actually make a great primary system. I've heard a LOT of systems, and owned a few, that didn't sound anywhere near as compelling and musical as this one. If this was all I could have, I'd be ok with it. Seriously.

I can't disagree with anything Ernie said, except that it was an RP-3. :)...

I was so not happy in that room that I didn't even walk over to look at the Rega. You know that is totally out of character for me. Never checked out the cabling or the rack. I was completely put off by the whole experience.

...We both agreed that given the choice, or being forced to chose, we'd rather listen to the Yamaha system then $10k worth of Linn/Bowers and Wilkins. I wouldn't have ever bet on that...
Me either, yet there was no doubt.

...And as Ernie said, the best part of the day was hanging around and chatting with a good friend. Everyone should be so lucky to be able to spend an afternoon chatting with Ernie...

You are too kind, good sir. I did get the better part of that deal. Actually, isn't that the definition of good friends? Each thinks they get more than they give.

nice to have a handful of the larger electronics firms taking audio seriously. They have the R and D budget to put together good sounding units at comparatively good prices. I've been similarly in love with the sound of my AS-500 since I got it. I can't count the number of times I've gotten that, 'Yamaha, seriously?' look from audio types......until they listen.:music:

Actually, you've probably never gotten more for $600 (inflation corrected)!

yamaha-mcr-n560bl-micro-component-system-bc.jpg

Nope, no phono input, but two auxiliary inputs to make phono possible. Add a $100 phono stage, a U-turn Orbit, and for $1000 you have a killer system that plays cd, hi-res computer, radio through the built in tuner, and vinyl. Beat that!

My 26 year old daughter started buying vinyl records over the last yeaar and, prior to moving out, she has been using my stereo system. She has asked for a stereo system for her apartement as a Christmas present. It looks like this Yamaha and a U-Turn Orbit would fit the bill (with a pre-amp). Does anyone know if you can only buy Orbits directly from the manufacturer or are there other sales outlets? Thanks.

Yup, $600 brand new ($599 actually), and it sounded just sensational. Ernie and I were visiting a stereo store and stumbled across this system. We were both shocked when we actually gave it a listen. I really didn't believe that you could get so much sound quality out of a brand new system for that money. Heck, I don't think you can get this much quality out of a used system. At least not without some lottery winner type luck. The boys and girls at Yamaha are really doing some great stuff. Consider my mind well and truly blown.

The Yamaha MCR-N560 system, including CD player and speakers. And it will do 192/24 bit processing. And you can stream to it.

minianlagen_yamaha_mcr_n560_bild_1386751528.jpg

When I visited NHT's factory showroom last year, I was blown away by the sound quality of a similar system....except that the CD play/receiver combo unit was by Marantz and the speakers were NHT SuperZeros. The Marantz/NHT combo would've cost about $700, I think. Fantastic sound quality! No sub was used either.

Back
Top Bottom