New bookshelf speakers $2k budget

crn3371

Looking for some new speakers for my dedicated 2 channel room. Current speakers are RBH R55Ti towers driven by a NAD C375BEE integrated. My listening room is 12x12, with the stereo set up in a diagonal configuration across one of the corners. This setup yields a listening configuration of a 6' equilateral triangle. I'm afraid my current speakers are just too big for the room. They sound good, but it takes cranking up the volume to really get them to sing. I'm thinking I might be better off with a set of small monitors. First speaker that came to my mind was the KEF ls50 (or the R300). Great reviews, and universally praised. Then I started reading about the BBC LS3/5a monitors. That has led me to 3 speakers. The Harbeth P3esr ($2.1k), Spendor S3/5R2 ($1.6k), and the Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a ($2k). I can find a lot of info on the Harbeth's, but not the other 2. Any suggestions? Anything else I should be looking at? This will be for music only (jazz, classical, classic rock).

The LS50 and the P3ESR should work great in your room. The LS50 would offer more low end extension if that matters to you. I've never heard the Stirling or Spendors you mentioned, but would imagine that they would work too in that size of room if they sound anything like the P3ESR.

Since you are interested in a speaker that is based on the LS3/5A, you may also want to check out Jeff Bagby's Continuum which can be purchased as a finished speaker or a kit.

I have Bowers & Wilkins CM5's (S1) and according to Stereophile, "Compared to the LS50 the CM5, had a lighter, airier tonal balance with a more laid back treble and more extended bass." So they might be a speaker to consider.

I also have Polk LSiM 703's and I can tell you they are in a different league. They take top billing over the CM5's in my home. Incredibly life-like midrange, smooth non-fatiguing highs and substantial lows. Great dynamic range yet play well at low volume. A tremendous stand-mount speaker in the price range you are looking at. IMO, the sound is what you'd expect to find in a higher price bracket.

http://media.theabsolutesound.com/buyers_guides/BG_Loudspeakers_2012.pdf#page21

Better off auditioning these speakers if you can.
Unfortunately, I'm unable to travel in order to audition. I'm going to have to rely on reviews, or find a vendor/mfgr that has a home trial policy.

Last edited:
Better off auditioning these speakers if you can.

If you are not familiar with BBC type monitors, auditioning is paramount.
These are shoe box size speakers that work best on stands.
I've heard the small Spendors with a Luxman tube integrated(18W).
They disappear with uncanny instrument placement. Scary vocals moving about the room.
I've owned the P-3ESRs for a few years and the honeymoon is far from over!
Both of these have been around for a while and come up previously owned,the P-3 more often.
With a little work you should find either below your budget.
Good luck and happy listening
Jimmy

Have you thought about rearranging the room? I can't see how you got it layed out as giving good SQ.

Do you have some photos of the whole room?

Maybe also check out Salk Wow1's. They look pretty dang good.

- Woody

In general you want to look at High Efficiency loudspeakers with IME an 8 inch woofer or larger to resolve your issue with not having to crank the speakers to get them to come to life - preferably speaker designs that do not use long throw woofers - the long throw approach is to push the drivers further and to do that requires power which means volume. This is oversimplification but the results typically remain that larger easier to power loudspeakers "come to life" at lower levels. The LS-50 is suitable for the room but IMO it needs excellent tube power and is only ok at lower volume levels. The LS-3/5a and the small Harbeth have disappointing bass response and IMO are way way way too expensive for the result you get.

I would look at two off the beaten path speakers - the Reference 3a MM De Capo (second hand) and the Audio Note K/LX or K/Spe Second hand.

Both are happy with 5-15 watts of power - both generate below 40hz bass response in room. Both sound good at low volume. The De Capo leans a little to the warm side with a relatively large suckout which provides a sense of ambiance - the AN K is a more up front presentation somewhat compared to the old Celestion SL-6 (only a lot better than the SL-6). The De Capo has a fatter sounding (richer sounding to some) bass while the AN K being Acoustic Suspension Sealed box has a much faster tighter sounding bass which makes it easy to position right up against the wall or in corners.

If you can't find these two - I would still be looking for higher efficiency speakers - these are speakers that can be successfully driven with ~8-12 watts of power.

I liked Zu Audio's new MKII speakers much more than previous iterations - I am not sure what ZU has done but it's a step in the right direction and they have speakers that are more full range than the K or De Capo (but their metal tweeter is still not as refined).

Found a 1 month old pair of Reference 3A Dulcet's on A-gon for $1350. Never heard them, but highly reviewed. Anyone have experience with these? I know RGA recommended their big brother MM De Capo. Just wonder how the smaller pair compares.

Found a 1 month old pair of Reference 3A Dulcet's on A-gon for $1350. Never heard them, but highly reviewed. Anyone have experience with these? I know RGA recommended their big brother MM De Capo. Just wonder how the smaller pair compares.
I had the decapo. I would go with amphion one15 without any hesitation. the one18 is a much more neutral, resolving, dynamic, fast compared to the decapo, the AN-J and kef ls 50 I had in the past. the one15 is suppose to be very similar. for 2k, I doubt you could even come close to the quality of amphion.
such underrated brand.

Last edited:
I have Bowers & Wilkins CM5's (S1) and according to Stereophile, "Compared to the LS50 the CM5, had a lighter, airier tonal balance with a more laid back treble and more extended bass." So they might be a speaker to consider.

I also have Polk LSiM 703's and I can tell you they are in a different league. They take top billing over the CM5's in my home. Incredibly life-like midrange, smooth non-fatiguing highs and substantial lows. Great dynamic range yet play well at low volume. A tremendous stand-mount speaker in the price range you are looking at. IMO, the sound is what you'd expect to find in a higher price bracket.

http://media.theabsolutesound.com/buyers_guides/BG_Loudspeakers_2012.pdf#page21

Nice link, Thanks.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to travel in order to audition. I'm going to have to rely on reviews, or find a vendor/mfgr that has a home trial policy.

Well in that case I can tell you about the KEF R300 which you mentioned. I've not heard any of the others so I can't comment on those, but these R300 are very nice. The extra bass driver really does give it a solid low end. They're Not as bass heavy as a tower speaker but a ton more bass than the Q100 that I also have. (similar driver configuration to LS50 but voiced differently and with crappier cabinets).

I think what the extra bass driver does is clear up the upper midrange and low treble. Most two ways are stretched here as the designer usually goes for trying to wring out every last drop of bass out of a single driver. But having a true 3 way design means you get a dedicated midrange.

The detail in music is amazing, they play very clean and have a very neutral sound. The soundstage and imaging is very nice due to the coaxial design, huge soundstage. They're a very interesting speaker because they are quite compact like any bookshelf but the UNI-Q gives them space to have another driver. If you went up the chain and got something like the R900 I think you would get more definition in some of the bass along with a little more efficiency. But I don't think they give up too much in comparison. I found them mating quite nicely with my 12" sub and this combo is pretty much all I will ever need.. If I get upgraditis again it will be for a set of R900s.

Not a big fan of the Dulcet because it doesn't really meet the requirement of sensitivity. And it sounds boxy like pretty much every speaker that size. The DeCapo is not nearly as neutral as the AN K but nevertheless it is "musical" but you have to try it - it won't be to all tastes.

But then I would say supposed "neutrality" isn't to all tastes either. Metal tweeters have a certain attack that seems to be accurate because of the sound but IMO all of them have been tiring - I prefer the original De Capo over the i and the BE versions that have come after.

I recently listened to a pair of LSA1 Statement bookshelf speakers. They sounded very good to my ears. Received a very positive review in The Absolute Sound a few years back. I think LSA may be failing as a company, there are sales going on on all of their speakers.

The Statement's original list price was $2800/pair. They can now be had at $1800/pr in rosewood, and $1500 in black from some dealers. Here's one that I know of (no affiliation to me): http://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/lsa-group

They were still listed on The Absolute Sound's $2000-$3000 recommended list in 2013: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2013-tas-editors-choice-awards-loudspeakers-2000-3000/

And here's their review from Home Theater: http://hometheaterreview.com/living-sounds-audio-lsa1-statement-monitor-reviewed/?page=2

Just 88dB sensitivity. Don't know if that is an issue for you. Never has been for me. I'm using 86dB speakers in a 12x14 bedroom with a 50wpc amp and it works well.

Back
Top Bottom