TPA 3116 Options?

HiFiJeff

Hello all,

I am currently rebuilding my system. I think I am going to go with a TPA 3116 amp to start with, I could always move it to my bedroom if I want something else. I will be pairing it with some Omega Super 3XRS's. Now I have been all over the internet searching for TPA 3116's. I am not a DIY'er, I need one plug and play ready. I was given some info on a company called FleaWatt but it looks like there are many different options. What should I be looking for in a TPA 3116 amp?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
I believe when buying Fleawatt amps, you are paying for the artwork. They are interesting to look at.

I have built three 3116 chip based amps. From what I have read, the 3116 based amps are considered superior to 3118 and 3110 based amps.

If I were to buy one off the rack, I would buy the SMSL SA 60. It comes with a power supply.

Some of the others do not come with power supplies. Some people will say you need a regulated power supply to really make these amps work well. Getting into other power supplies gets away from plug and play.

Last edited:
3116/3118 basically the same chip with different power ratings due to different heatsink IIRC. Comments from people who own both SA-60 and 36A PRO seem to indicate there is little to choose between them sonically

Hello all,

I am currently rebuilding my system. I think I am going to go with a TPA 3116 amp to start with, I could always move it to my bedroom if I want something else. I will be pairing it with some Omega Super 3XRS's. Now I have been all over the internet searching for TPA 3116's. I am not a DIY'er, I need one plug and play ready. I was given some info on a company called FleaWatt but it looks like there are many different options. What should I be looking for in a TPA 3116 amp?

Thanks for the help!

Great topic. Many of us have little DIY talent or lack time for such projects. I'm sure more than a few of us would like to hear what the consensus opinion is for the best ready to play 3116 amp.

cubdog

I believe when buying Fleawatt amps, you are paying for the artwork. They are interesting to look at.

Many of the Fleawatt amps have upgraded parts in the signal path. Additionally he checks his volume controls for close tolerances in channel matching so there is more to his amps than just looks.

My Take:

Something like the Fleawatt might give the best sound

The SA-36A PRO/SA-60 are most likely the best bang for the buck

But, the new dual chip board is virtually plug and play. It comes with the volume control/off switch installed so it is a little integrated amp. It has a mini jack in already installed so there is no wiring up of inputs needed, just a mini jack to stereo RCA cable for most sources. If you can strip speaker wire you can run your 18g from your speaker wires right to the board, no soldering required, just a small screwdriver. That leaves only the "difficult" task of setting up the power supply. All you need is a CCTV jack like this:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/sdp-s/retro-fit-2.1mm-coax-socket/1.html

run more of your speaker wire from the board to this then plug in a laptop PS brick with a 2.1mm plug between 12v and 24v. Or you can buy a cheap 13.8 volt regulated power supply and wire that up directly without needing an adaptor.

No soldering and you don't even have to put it in an enclosure, though a dollar store cardboard box is ideal as it requires no insulators or special tools to cut it and the nut for the volume holds everything in place. If you want to get REALLY fancy you can put cheap speaker terminals on the box, again this can be done without soldering or skills. Once you have the right bits it can be up and running in minutes.

I spent a lot of time researching this, started out with the SA-36 A PRO which I have at work now. I am very happy with it and everyone who hears it is very impressed (most of my co-workers are seriously into home or pro audio). I then built a another amp based on the dual chip board using nothing more than a wire stripper and some screwdrivers to punch holes in the box and then wire everything together. Oh yeah, I crimped some terminals to be fancy. The resulting amp is quite impressive and a lot of fun.

By the way, here is the full Bill Of Materials to get up and running:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-100W-TPA31...for-Arduino-/131576052479?hash=item1ea28b3aff

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-Pcs-Male-F...r-CCTV-/191147903465?var=&hash=item2c814d89e9

Then find a laptop power supply that fits the female plug above, maybe this one but check with vendor to be sure of buy one locally

http://www.ebay.com/itm/29145408202...&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Just add some 18g wire and the proper wire to hook up your source to the 3.5mm input (see example for RCA below), you should be done inside of 10 minutes if you take your time.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/291472575181?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:
I'm also interested in this...

Is there any way to get a TPA3116 based amp without an integrated volume control? I would prefer to attach directly to my existing pre-amp for volume and source selection.

Thanks in advance!

gorlock,

just turn the volume on the dual chip all the way up and use the volume pot on your preamp instead

these little amps are amazing:yes:

The early "blue board" 3116, still available for about $18-22, has no volume control. I personally like that board the best, the shape makes it ideal for mounting in a box and making the necessary connections. I wish one of the prefab builders used this board, I probably would have bought that. The 15w Sure 3110 board is also nice. Both of these boards "pop" with power on, so are best used with a pre or passive pre so you can dial volume down all of the way to soften the pop.

If I was buying a prefab, I'd probably go with the SMSL SA-36A PRO. But some of my other SMSL amp power supplies have bad caps after only a little while. I recently bought one of the cheaper standalone power supplies (Pyramid PS3KX)for my 3116 amps, and while I don't hear much different sonically, it was a fairly low cost solution that I think is getting the amp a little safer/cleaner power.

Great topic. Many of us have little DIY talent or lack time for such projects. I'm sure more than a few of us would like to hear what the consensus opinion is for the best ready to play 3116 amp.

cubdog

Thanks. I have heard great things about these little TPA amps. That they have the same kind of magic like set amps and so on. Crazy that they are so affordable. But once again, like I mentioned as you did too, I am NOT a DIY'er at all. I don't want to have to do anything but plug it in, hook up the inputs and speaker wire and play. So something like this looks to be the ticket. :) http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SA-60-black-Digital-Amplifier/dp/B00PA3ECGK

I'm also interested in this...

Is there any way to get a TPA3116 based amp without an integrated volume control? I would prefer to attach directly to my existing pre-amp for volume and source selection.

Thanks in advance!

And I too would end up using it this way. I want to find a pre-amp, possibly a tube pre-amp to mate it to.

Has anyone here bought one of the Fleawatt amps. Some of his designs are quite nice. I don't mind paying for someone's creativity but have no idea just what these are priced at.

cubdog

gorlock,

just turn the volume on the dual chip all the way up and use the volume pot on your preamp instead

these little amps are amazing:yes:

Good advice. Run wide open the volume should have little effect on the SQ and for the privilege of having no volume control you will pay more than twice as much for the board, though the absolute amount is still low.

I have not compared but many have and the dual chip board, besides being the cheapest, is almost always rated as being at least as good as the others.

I've purchased several mini-amps from Parts Express. They have a pretty big slelction. Nothing wrong with EBay, but if an amp craps out (and they sometimes do) PE generally will replace it with no questions asked. Getting a replacement or refund from an EBay vendor can be a PITA.

Back
Top Bottom