Good option for a 5.1 channel pre-amp that is exceptional with 2 channel audio?

HiFiJeff

Okay, so ever since I have sold all of my 2 channel audio gear, I have been contemplating which direction I wanted to take. I mean I got the speakers covered. Some Omega Custom 3XRS's which I hope Louis will have done in the next month or so. But now I am contemplating going back to a 5.1 set-up since I just got a new entertainment stand that screams for a center channel speaker. :D

However I have been bitten by the audiophile bug if you want to call it that. Basically, my music has never sounded this good since I got into two channel music and do not want to compromise. I have had many Audio Video Receivers in many home theater applications and on 2 channel music play back, they came nowhere near what I have experienced with a dedicated 2 channel integrated analog amp. So my question, how can I have the best of both worlds in the same system? Is there a 5.1 pre-amp out there that focuses on 2 channel playback and sounds even better on two channel playback than it does on 5.1 playback?

I guess I am basically looking for an audiophile 5.1 pre-amp.

Thanks guys!

IMO, no HT unit is going to put more focus on 2-ch than HT.

However, depending on what features you need, there are some older and newer units that do pretty well with 2-ch. Older such as units from Anthem, et al. and something like a Proceed AVP2. The latter was for a time, not sure if still is, somewhat of a holy grail for HT with top-notch 2-ch performance too. I think my (relatively) new Marantz does OK too and the aforementioned Anthem AVM 20.

IMO, no HT unit is going to put more focus on 2-ch than HT.

However, depending on what features you need, there are some older and newer units that do pretty well with 2-ch. Older such as units from Anthem, et al. and something like a Proceed AVP2. The latter was for a time, not sure if still is, somewhat of a holy grail for HT with top-notch 2-ch performance too. I think my (relatively) new Marantz does OK too and the aforementioned Anthem AVM 20.

What would you think about using an OPPO-105 as a pre-amp and a DAC?

http://www.outlawaudio.com/

I have not heard their gear but they have a good reputation for both 2 channel and HT. No affiliation.

Funny you mention them. I did a ton of research yesterday and this Outlaw 975 Pre-Amp looks to be a real winner! I have always wanted to try Outlaw and think I am going to give them a shot.
Here is a review form Andrew Robinson. Mated to a Crown XLS-2000 and Tekton Pendragon's. I have been also really thinking about going the Crown route for amplification and I think this review sold me on both!

http://hometheaterreview.com/outlaw-audio-model-975-71-av-surround-sound-processor-reviewed/

I don't know what your budget is but I use an Arcam AVR450 for 5.1 and for 2 channel audio. Speakers are B&W. For Analogue the Arcam will only play FL + FR + sub. I'm very pleased with the sound from it. I use a heavily modded Rega Planar 3 and Nagaoka MP-500 for vinyl through a Rega Phono MKII and use a Pioneer N50 to play back FLAC in various formats up to 192k 24bit. I know lots of people say AV won't do 2 channel but I'm very happy. Hope this helps.

I know lots of people say AV won't do 2 channel but I'm very happy. Hope this helps.

Yeah, in hindsight my previous post seems to imply you can't get good 2-ch from HT gear but that's not what I meant. I meant that they're not going to specialize a HT unit just for 2-ch. However, that wasn't intended to mean that good HT stuff can't do good 2-ch.

I used to have an Outlaw 950. While it was a good sounding unit (in stereo mode as well) I was sort of disappointed. Cheap feeling especially crappy plastic volume knob.

I don't know what your budget is but I use an Arcam AVR450 for 5.1 and for 2 channel audio. Speakers are B&W. For Analogue the Arcam will only play FL + FR + sub. I'm very pleased with the sound from it. I use a heavily modded Rega Planar 3 and Nagaoka MP-500 for vinyl through a Rega Phono MKII and use a Pioneer N50 to play back FLAC in various formats up to 192k 24bit. I know lots of people say AV won't do 2 channel but I'm very happy. Hope this helps.

I want to stay under $1000 for a pre. That being said, can you get the Arcam for that much?

I guess I should have put in my post. What is the best "current" 5.1 AV-PRE-AMP. One that I could purchase new. I have been looking on-line for both the Sherwood and Arcam with no luck.

I guess I should have put in my post. What is the best "current" 5.1 AV-PRE-AMP. One that I could purchase new. I have been looking on-line for both the Sherwood and Arcam with no luck.

AFAIK, there are no new pre/pros under $1000. Emotiva had one but I think it's been discontinued.

You might be able to find a new AVR with pre outs for all channels under $1k.

Well, there you go. That looks like your option, as long as you're not interested in all the bells and whistles...room correction/Audyssey, Atmos, etc.

Back
Top Bottom