Which is "Best" - Yamaha B-2 or MX-2000?

nailer

audionerd
Subscriber
Have had a desire for a nice Yamaha separates rig for quite some time. Have already picked-up a CT-7000B and T-2 (see Bob's Tuner Tales in the Tuner Forum), and a C-2a (see Building a Vintage Yamaha System - Advice, Opinions & Pot Shots Requested in this forum). The time has come to get me an amp. Have narrowed it down to 2: B-2 and MX-2000. So the question is which one is best? Always a loaded question for AKers. Although they have different cosmetics I like the look of both. So in this case only sound quality matters. Other factors impacting selecting the best are: 1) preamp - in addition to the C-2a will also be using Berning TF-12, ARC SP-8 and Klyne SK-5A; and 2) speakers: Martin Logan Sequel II and Fried Studio 5.

What are your thoughts? Any out there who have experienced both?

I'd also consider the M-2 and PC2002M. The B-2 is a very nice sounding VFET but has only 100 wpc. The M-2/PC2002M are sharper sounding and control drivers better. I have not heard or seen a MX-2000. It is expensive though and I bet much closer sounding to the M-2 than the B-2.

Specialidiot has now owned and heard both, and he'll see this before too long.

Having owned several of both, including updated and recapped B-2 amps, I would definitely vole for it over the MX-2000, which I consider 'bright' sounding (especially with metal domes, like the NS-1000 speakers), as are all the somewhat later, faux Class A Yamaha amps. If you are buying on looks, then it is the MX-2000 over almost any amp, Yamaha or other. But, if buying for sound, get a B-2. Drill out the holes in the speaker terminals on the back and it will fit 12ga wire, as well. As EW says, the B-2 has the most accurate meters he has ever seeen on a amp.

Last edited:
Having owned several of both, including updated and recapped B-2 amps, I would definitely volt for it over the MX-2000, which I consider 'bright' sounding (especially with metal domes, like the NS-1000 speakers), as are all the somewhat later, faux Class A Yamaha amps. If you are buying on looks, then it is the MX-2000 over almost any amp, Yamaha or other. But, if buying for sound, get a B-2. Drill out the holes in the speaker terminals on the back and it will fit 12ga wire, as well. As EW says, the B-2 has the most accurate meters he has ever seeen on a amp.

Mx-2000 is a MOSFET amplifier and sounds excellent.But I like MOSFET's ! The B-2 is a mightly fine sounding amplifier as well. Right now I have 2--B-2's and 2-- MX-2000's in for repair/refurb. I find both a real pleasure to listen to.

Mx-2000 is a MOSFET amplifier and sounds excellent.But I like MOSFET's ! The B-2 is a mightly fine sounding amplifier as well. Right now I have 2--B-2's and 2-- MX-2000's in for repair/refurb. I find both a real pleasure to listen to.

Dave given you have had all of these how would you rate the M-2 vs the B-2?

Dave given you have had all of these how would you rate the M-2 vs the B-2?

B-2 for clarity and the M-2 for Power. I haven't had a M-2 come through here yet.Last time I auditioned one in person was 1980.It was brand new in a audio sound room at the Bitburg AB Audio/Photo Club ie. Base Exchange.

B-2 for clarity and the M-2 for Power. I haven't had a M-2 come through here yet.Last time I auditioned one in person was 1980.It was brand new in a audio sound room at the Bitburg AB Audio/Photo Club ie. Base Exchange.

Same comparison applies to the MX-2000 vs M-2. MX-2000 for clarity (and looks) and M-2 for power. That's not to say the M-2 isn't a superb amp.

I had the B-2 in my system when I first got the GT 2000 swapped in,instead of the PX-2.It was certainly good enough to convey the upgrade.

From people's descriptions,there would be systems which would benefit from one or the other of these amps(B-2 and MX-2000).There would be situations where one would 'fit' and the other wouldn't(quite as well).

+1 On the assertion that the MX-2000 is a classy looking amp(If it was a Babe,it would be Grace Kelly).The B-2....?Well,let's say that it is the Susan Boyle:It sings like an angel,but it ain't no pretty picture. :no: :tears:

His response can be found in my Building a Vintage Yamaha System - Advice, Opinions & Pot Shots Requested thread in this forum. I gathered that he may slightly prefer the B-2, but has not directly compared them.

Last edited:

2 of each - think I'm turning a bit green. :thmbsp:

Thanks for the responses.

Appears they are both excellent sonically with a slight push to the B-2 and $ wise the B-2 has the advantage. I don't own a VFET (had a Sony 8550 for about 5 years and replaced it with a CJ in 84), but do own a MOSFET (Aleph 5) and a bipolar (BEL 1001). So if it's A Question of Balance the B-2 is the answer.

The B-2 Quest begins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nailer just remember that the B-2 is V-FET and some of the parts can't be bought anymore. When they run it's all good, but when they stop...

I am not saying don't buy, I am saying be awhere of what you buy!

When I see the other TOTL's in you're setup, then I have to mention the Yamaha B-1. The best V-FET amp ever build, you can always settle for a B-2 if you don't find the bigger brother.

And if you trip over a MX-2000, give it a try - you will not regret it. Any who have seen and listne to this amp in real life, knows what I am talking about.

Last edited:
+1 On the assertion that the MX-2000 is a classy looking amp(If it was a Babe,it would be Grace Kelly).The B-2....?Well,let's say that it is the Susan Boyle:It sings like an angel,but it ain't no pretty picture. :no: :tears:

Precisely....

I've not heard them side to side. The VFET warmth of the B-2 is mesmerizing.... Probably the best amp I've heard with my modified Cornwalls. I will probably have another one of these days.

The MX-2000 is quite an amp, and for 3x the price of a B-2 it should be. Is it better? Maybe... not 3x certainly. Grace Kelly style with Raquel Welch meters is really something. My MX-2000 is a centerpiece amp and an investment, I don't think I'll be loosing money on it. Wish I could say the same for my 401k.

2 of each - think I'm turning a bit green. :thmbsp:
Once had six (6) of the B-2 amps (one was a total parts unit, having been trashed in shipping) and two (2) 'like-new' MX-2000s. While rated at 100wpc, EW rebuilt one of the B-2s and it put out 150wpc on his bench with S/N + distortion at the lower limit of his equipment's ability to measure. So the B-2 is no shrinking violet in the power department. The MX-2000 is 'only' rated at 130wpc. Am guessing it would also make over 150wpc. The second best sounding Yamaha amp in my experience is the B-2x, which is fairly rare. The even more rare integrated is the A-2000, which was built using a slightly derated B-2x design, sounds quite similar.

If anyone is interested, still have quite a bit of info on both the B-2 and MX-2000 in electronic format that you are welcome to. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send along.

Last edited:
Once has six (6) of the B-2 amps (one was a total parts unit, having been trashed in shipping) and two (2) 'like-new' MX-2000s. While rated at 100wpc, EW rebuilt one of the B-2s and it put out 150wpc on his bench with S/N + distortion at the lower limit of his equipment's ability to measure. So the B-2 is no shrinking violet in the power department. The MX-2000 is 'only' rated at 130wpc. Am guessing it would also make over 150wpc. The second best sounding Yamaha amp in my experience is the B-2x, which is fairly rare. The even more rare integrated is the A-2000, which was built using a slightly derated B-2x design, sounds quite similar.

If anyone is interested, still have quite a bit of info on both the B-2 and MX-2000 in electronic format that you are welcome to. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send along.

Have you considered offering the info up to the AK database here in Digital Docs? Or the original AK Yamaha database? http://sportsbil.com/yamaha/

Regarding finding a B-2, I've found that diligence and patience usually win out in the end. It may take a couple years or I may change my mind, which won't be the first time. Also the-real-mandak's B-1 recommendation has merit, as does still keeping the MX-2000 in mind. I'm so confused! :thmbsp:

Bottom line is like most of us I'm in this to have a BLAST and the Yamaha amp quest is just one of many audionerd quests I'm pursuing.

Back
Top Bottom