Yamaha CR-820 Receiver

chicks

Lunatic Member
Saw this on CL today for an excellent price, talked 'em down to an even better price. Not a scratch on the face; a couple of dents in the veneer on the corners, and needs a relamp, of course.

I bought it to clean, relamp, and resell, but now I'm not so sure. This thing is gorgeous, and has plenty of power for my small listening room. Would be near mint with a nice veneer job - Rosewood to match the JVC QL-A75 TT... :scratch2:

May need to sell a thing or two to finance a veneer job - wonder how busy Merrylander is? :scratch2:

100_3616.JPG

100_3635.JPG

Last edited:
Tried darkening the lettering on the headphone jacks cover with a Sharpie. Not exactly a success. Any suggestions on doing this? Maybe a rubber stamp ink pad would work?

100_3651.JPG

Back on the bench for re-lamping. Very subtle lighting scheme, but looks great. Case is off to Merrylander for a Rosewood veneer job!

100_3713.JPG

Progress report, the case is veneered and trimmed, the vent holes rough cut. As you might appreciate finish cutting these holes is a job for when my hands are not tired or aching, to easy to mess up.

Doesn't look like much at this stage, but once the holes are finished then don a mask* and do some serious sanding, first 220, then 330 then 400. After that about 4 or 5 coats of poly and you won't recognize it.

* mask is necessary because rosewood dust is slightly toxic.

Last edited:
Progress report, the case is veneered and trimmed, the vent holes rough cut. As you might appreciate finish cutting these holes is a job for when my hands are not tired or aching, to easy to mess up.

Doesn't look like much at this stage, but once the holes are finished then don a mask* and do some serious sanding, first 220, then 330 then 400. After that about 4 or 5 coats of poly and you won't recognize it.

I thought you'd retired?! :)

That rosewood is going to look great!

Tried darkening the lettering on the headphone jacks cover with a Sharpie. Not exactly a success. Any suggestions on doing this? Maybe a rubber stamp ink pad would work?

I spread a thin coat of testors model paint on a piece of paper, then set the cover on it briefly. Worked great for me.

Rob

I spread a thin coat of testors model paint on a piece of paper, then set the cover on it briefly. Worked great for me.

Rob

Thanks, I'll give that a try! Thanks to Merrylander for the progress report and pics, too! Can hardly wait...

No pics this time but I did finish the vent hole cutouts yesterday and got some of the first sanding (220 grit) done. I will say this, Santos Rosewood is damned hard.

Now it is just a matter of drying and replacing the screens and vents. I thought that silver vent grills would not look right with Rosewood, I used to always paint them with an antique bronze, sort of a dark greenish colour, but Home Depot appears to have stopped getting it. I painted these with an Oiled Bronze metallic paint. They are not fastened in so that's why you see bare wood around the edges. Amazing what four coats of poly will do to the colour, no?

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay, but I was not at all happy with the paint on the grillls so I removed them and stripped them down and repainted them. While they were off I added a fifth coat of poly. I have the box you sent it in so I know the weight and size. I will arrange for UPS to pick it up Monday and will PM the tracking number, etc. I will pack it tomorrow giving an extra day to dry thoroughly.

I guess I am anal retentive but if I will not add something to my own systems it does not go out the door.

Last edited:
That's sure an improvement over the stock vinyl veneer! I will post pics of it surrounding the '820 next weekend...

Ah, good it made the trip safely, the paper wrap was to make certain that the fresh finis would not interact with the styrofoam.

Back
Top Bottom