SA-9100 vs CA-810

filedog

I went to look at some new advents today, sounded great, but the cabinets had water damage : (
Powering them was a Yamaha amp, closer look revealed a CA-810! Original owner, even had the manual! I ended up getting the amp ($40), and am in the process of servicing it. Needs new meter lamps (I guess that's common) and the selector switch is dirty. Otherwise really nice. I only have room for one "nice" system, (have a home theater, and garage system as well) it's powered by a Pioneer SA-9100, with AR 2ax speakers.
I'm just wondering, is the Yamaha a "better" amp? Would it be a better choice with the ARs? I am going to listen to both, I guess I'm a bit biased in favor of the Pioneer, I just love it : )

$40 for an 810 is a pretty good deal. Let your ears decide which amp is best.

I'd say $40 for an 810 was a steal! Those era Yammy's are some of my favorite bits of stereo gear. I believe it would be hard to beat it in quality without going "super-tweak".

Nice score.

The sounds are different. The Yamaha has less distortion, if that's important to you, the 9100 has a wonderful, lush sound not unlike Marantz's three-martini sound, if you will. Even if not.

You can't go wrong with either, but they may need new electrolytics etc.

Got the lamps replaced, pots cleaned, etc., and set it up.
Well, I can't do an "A-B" test, but the Yammie is SWEET!
Plenty of power, and I like the variable loudness a LOT.
The Pioneer's loudness is unusable for me, it's too drastic.
I like the controls on the Yammie better as well.

Ive had a CA-810 for years. I was just remarking yesterday on this site that it looks nicer to me than Yamaha's new $2000 integrated amp. It also sounds terrific.

Especially if you are using phono, the capacitance selectors, etc in that section are remarkable.

However, to me, the whole thing is in the "feel" of it. I just have always liked the feel of the controls and the tank like build quality. You just can't go wrong.

CA-810. Not that you can really go wrong ith either, but I prefer Yamaha, and that series was pretty great IMO.

The sounds are different. The Yamaha has less distortion, if that's important to you, the 9100 has a wonderful, lush sound not unlike Marantz's three-martini sound, if you will. Even if not.

You can't go wrong with either, but they may need new electrolytics etc.

The SA-9100 will sound even better with a full restoration ... $40 for the Yammy is a steal .... Let your ears do the deciding :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom